Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ISMI 13# Spring Question

AZGunut

Hi everyone,

I have a somewhat stupid question. I just recently got a ISMI 13# spring for my Glock 17 (I use a THE stainless non-captured guiderod) and I noticed something that worries me. After putting the first 150 rounds through the gun with this brand new spring, the spring is approx 1/2-3/4" shorter that it was when new (Compared to another brand new one) Also if I slowly release the slide on a empty chamber during dry fire, the slide will not fully go into battery(About 1/4" from going fully foreward). Is this normal with the ISMI 13# springs? I had a ISMI 15# spring and it hasn't gone down in length in the 300-400 rounds I put on it. I do like the way the gun feels with the 13 but do not want to worry if this is normal, but want to be reassured. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Forgot to mention that the 150 rounds I put through the gun with the 13# spring was just Winchester White box, nothing hot or plus P. Also I was just dry finig and if the gun is in battery and you point the muzzle to the sky the slide will sometimes slip out of battery which cannot be right. Also I did not clip any coils it is untouches as far as that goes.

Steve,

Hi and thanks for your reply. I bought the spring from GlockMeister as I needed a couple of other small parts and he is local to me. It did feel good when I shot it, but am just afraid that if I am moving between shooting points and on the run, what if the slide comes out of battery enough to fire a shot that way? Does everyone who runs a 13# spring have this same situation? Like I said if it is a common occurance, no biggie, it just doesn't seem right?

Flex,

They both go all of the way to the rear and bottom out on the head of the recoil spring. I marked the frame with the front of the slide and both went to the same spot approx. (Well within a 32" of so) Now looking at teh ISMI 13# spring it is well over a inch under the length of a new one :-(

Hi again everyone,

I measure the springs and the 13# is at 4 1/8" long and the 15# which has about 400 rounds through it is a little over 5 1/4" long. Like I said I have only put the 150 through it and I guess I will try and shoot more rounds and see what happens, but I have never had a gun where if you would wave it in the air the slide would come out of battery? (Not that I go around waving guns in the air :-)

have never had a gun where if you would wave it in the air the slide would come out of battery? (Not that I go around waving guns in the air :-)

It certainly shouldn't do that. If it is, don't shoot it.

I don't know how scientific this is, but here is, at least, an idicator...

THE TEST:

With an empty gun...

- pull the trigger and hold it to the rear

- point the gun verticle

- hand cycle the slide, easing it forward

- at about 1/4 inch from closing, release the slide (still pointed verticle, still holding the trigger back)

The slide should go completely into lock-up.

Depending on your trigger setup, you may also be able to manipulate the trigger and see movement (unlocking) of the barrel/slide. :unsure:

Hi everyone,

I called up ISMI and he is going to send out a new spring to me tomorrow. He said it definately shouldn't be doing what it is and it should not have gone down in length like that. They were great to deal with. He said he doesn't know what could have caused it, but it wasn't right. Thanks for everyones help.

Bad spring. On another note, I tried one of the 11# ISMI springs. Not certain if they have gotten it right with these. The spring is a good bit shorter new than their 13# one. My clipped 13# feels much better. I will put some more rounds through the 11# springs before I toss them.

AZ

Dont worry about the spring length, of your ismi veruses a new spring! I shoot ISMI springs in my G34 and have seen the same thing, (getting shorter versuses a new one)I have not had ant problem at all with this situation!

Oh BTW, the ISMI 13lb spring, checks out at close to 12lbs, the 15lb @ 14and a half, the 17@about 16!

Thie was checked out on the new spring weight check system sold by brownells and was featured in american handgunner mag (new produts section)!

So as long as you dont have any malfunctions , by all means keep on using the ISMI springs !

• 1 month later...

Thanks Nik. I didn't mean to waste anyone's time with the same old questions. I did a search under the discussion board "springs" and I did the search under this Glock forum. That's exactly how I found this posting. Appreciate your help though. Clay