Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tec loader blow up

witnessed a good friend have his benelli explode using a tec loader at a 3 gun match yesterday. this was an extremely experienced shooter who competes regularly in 3 gun.

the round blew the tec tube apart, blew the handle in 2 pieces, and sent #8 shot all over the receiver. several of the shells were compressed into what looked like 2' long and very ugly. he was unhurt (very lucky), and the benelli needs to be looked over to determine if any of the internal parts got torched as well. after witnessing this, i can assure you my loads on the next stage were alot more deliberate!

the only reason i'm posting this is this is the 2nd person i know who has had this occur, one with modified handles, the other with stock (older) tec handles. at some point, uspsa needs to consider this issue in terms of getting the manufacturer to define how to safely modify theee handles to avoid future accidents. it's interesting to me that they have been silent on this for so long now.

Too much we don't know here.

Reloaded ammo?

New handles? Modified? Dowels?

Graphite in the tubes? Sand?

Agreed. I was there and saw some of the damage. It will not stop me from using them though. Been using them in the un-modified form since they were first introduced. Made the safety mods a few years back and I intend to keep on using them.

Adam is the only person I know who has actually had it happen to them. I know there are numerous, documented instances, but still and all folks, how often do pistol shooters have squibs and booms? How often do fancy unloading practices create brass shrapnel zones? Do we disallow the usage of re-loaded ammunition on the grounds that there is a squib once in a while and even less often someone doesn’t catch it soon enough?*(rhetorical question mark) Do we mandate that no fancy moves are allowed because once every leap year, someone blows it?*(rhetorical again)

What are the facts? We may never know for sure. Adam’s OK, beyond that, I will not lose any sleep over it.

He was definitely lucky in that he didn't turn the gun over as much as he normally does.

The point I see here is that maybe he was doing something different and another factor also stepped in. The key phrase here is the “as much as he normally does” one. To me that actually says something.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

• 2 weeks later...

Well the key seems to be that they were either old style or modified according to the post. The old style have been fixed by the manufacturer so either make the primer cut or upgrade to the new ones. If they were modified who knows how they were done. I saw a guy show up at one of the local matches with the dowel rods screwed in with a metal screw right where the promer would be and for safety he put a piece of Duct tape over it. :wacko: I've used the new style with and without the dowels. The Arrendondo piece or a hogged out pistol grip eliminates the need for the dowels. Like anything else USPSA can't stop people from taking a safe piece of gear and doing something to mod it into a safety hazard, if they do we all get screwed. A little common sense goes a long way.

Well the key seems to be that they were either old style or modified according to the post. The old style have been fixed by the manufacturer so either make the primer cut or upgrade to the new ones. If they were modified who knows how they were done. I saw a guy show up at one of the local matches with the dowel rods screwed in with a metal screw right where the promer would be and for safety he put a piece of Duct tape over it. :wacko: I've used the new style with and without the dowels. The Arrendondo piece or a hogged out pistol grip eliminates the need for the dowels. Like anything else USPSA can't stop people from taking a safe piece of gear and doing something to mod it into a safety hazard, if they do we all get screwed. A little common sense goes a long way.

lemme clarify the specifics...the tec loaders in question were the old style, modified with the relief cut. now, i will say this after looking over the midifications, the cut was not that much. when i modified mine, i borrowed a new handle from a buddy and tried to duplicate it. i also bored out the opening a little and chamfered the edges. his were not like that.

as far as "upgrading" to the new handles, you can, but you have to buy the tubes and the pouch/bracket. armstec will not sell you separate components. the only way you can get replacement stuff is by shipping him the exploded parts...he won't even talk to you until you do. at that point, he has the evidence, so yer outta luck.

i suggested to my friend that he take a couple of good pictures of the exploded tecloader parts, the trashed benelli, the shells, his shirts, etc and send them to armstec, along with an attorney's business card. that should get his attention. the armstec guy is pretty lucky so far.

Well let's see.

New speed loaders 30 bucks for 2 x 3 sets = 90 bucks

Blown match + Shotgun + Hand + shirt get the point. Me I'd spend 90 bucks rather than have my damn hand blown off. Of course you can always do the great American pass time and threaten to sue the company because you tried to modify the design and F&&*ed up. ;)

Goerge,

Was this OUR Adam that had the Tec-Loaders go boom? At the Cowboy/IPSC halloween 3 gun? WOW?

I was wondering why he didn't finish the match, now I know... Holy Sh*t

Glad he is ok

Rob

yep, that was "our" adam. i haven't talked to him since, so he may be looking for another benelli...

Come on guys, its been over 2 weeks since this incident and STILL little to no detailed info???

From what I read it was old tec tube handles, but were they modified properly? Was the primer cut done correctly? How about a photo?

With or without dowel? Possible dirt in the primer cut?

What kind of ammo, reloads or factory? If reloads, were the crimps deep enough?

What's the detailed story?

I think the entire 3gun community needs to see as much as possible about this, the Tec Loaders have had quite a bad rap from mostly rumors...

thanks!

JJ

I think the entire 3gun community needs to see as much as possible about this, the Tec Loaders have had quite a bad rap from mostly rumor

I agree. I was there but didn't see the loader parts closely. Now I wish I had.

I believe the bad rap would mostly go away if we had all of the real hard info about all of the actual occurrences. Rumor always takes over when there aren't enough facts ;-)

I'm still using them and I'm not skeered!

--

Regards,