Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smallest Diameter handguard

What is the smallest diameter handguard you can run on a HBAR profile barrel?

I got to handle a really nice AR over the weekend at a match and it has a really small OD tube on it with a full top rail. It was near the end of the match and I forgot to ask who made it.

Looking at the links it might have been the Troy Alpha. If I build a dedicated 3 gun rifle I'll go this route if I don't just stick to my carbine.

I have two 13" Troy Alphas, and love them.

However, the Midwest Industries OD is definitely smaller... If thast what your looking for.

Looking at the links it might have been the Troy Alpha. If I build a dedicated 3 gun rifle I'll go this route if I don't just stick to my carbine.

I have two 13" Troy Alphas, and love them.

However, the Midwest Industries OD is definitely smaller... If thast what your looking for.

I love and miss my Alpha rail, the grip texture on them is amazing. If your looking for a small tube the difference on the NSR and the MI is significant. The NSR is for sure going on my next rig (if I ever decide on a barrel length), hopefully i'll like it even though its grip isn't as aggressive as the troy.

I really wish I had asked him what his was. The more I read the more I think i could have a "dedicated" 3G rifle in my old bushy HBAR with just a few add ons (comp, scope, gas block and rail and trigger group). For now my carbine is just fine till I learn more about what i wanna do......... I can already see a list forming for what could be!

Any issues with heat using small diameter handguards like the Midwest SS Gen 2?

I didn't notice it running my buddies 14.5 with a MI tube for some 3 gun type drills but I've never dumped rounds for an extended period of time. Seems like it would be fine for a 3 gun match.

Last year I bought the smallest OD available, the WC TRIM rail. I don't know about HBAR, but it swallowed the Syrac gas block with the tube running inside the rail relief. About 24 hours (exaggeration) after making my order, the Noveske was released and is about 0.050" smaller than the WC.

Any issues with heat using small diameter handguards like the Midwest SS Gen 2?

My Troy Alpha gets warm after a mag dump. Not hot, but warm enough that I knew I was holding it. It dissipated fairly quickly though. Also, it's over a lightweight barrel, might've had something to do with it.

MWI has the smallest Dia coming in at about 1.5", The Sampson is a VERY stout tube and only slightly larger. AND.....Sampson is good to support our sport ya know.

Seekins has a std dia tube that is VERY light as well.......again, very stout. but this isn't about the biggest @#%$, it's about the the smallest.

Tim

I got a small hand for a man so I'm reading and looking for the most "grip" I can get on the end of the gun. I run a DD Lite 12 on my carbine and I use a AFG and a VFG off and on trying to pick the right set up for me.