Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max slug POI?

JPeel

My son took the vmax to the bench yesterday with the Federal low recoil 1 oz slugs and this is what he got. Except for the flyer, 8" right at 50 yards. This is from a 22" barrel with a briley LM choke, CA one-piece mag tube, and no barrel clamp. Sights are mid dot, hi viz front.

v-maxslugs_zpsec76070d.jpg

I'm disappointed by this, but then again having read other posts about slug POI vs POA not too terribly surprised.

Suggestions? Besides aim left.....

Edited by JPeel

Pattern the gun with bird. If the pattern is also slightly right, then adjust the stock to bring the shots to center. Not sure what your slug expectations are, but that isn't all that bad. It won't take a large adjustment to bring the POI closer to center. Mine runs about that far from center at 100yds.

Edited by co-exprs

Thanks co-exprs.

I did check birdshot pattern with the diffuser, LM, and LF chokes and I didn't notice any right shift.

It may not be all that bad, but I would like better.

I like to adjust things which are adjustable before making permenant changes. Mess with the stock. Also, it sucks, but different slug brands hit in different places. Mine hits about 5" right with BPs and almost spot on with Fiocchi 7/8oz, @ 100yds. I really prefer the Fiocchi's through my Versa, but BP's by the case are much less expensive. So I shoot BP's and simply adjust my POA and make it work. Every one and every gun likes something different. Trade some slugs with friends to get a sample set to try in your shotty. Unfortunately, there is no SOP when it comes to shotgun slugs. You just gotta play with your set up till you find the one.

At 50 yds using Remington Extended LM choke and Federal Truball low recoil slugs, I get 2" grouping POI and POA. Unfortunately, I didn't have a rest to use, but I was resting against a pillar. I would definitely try other slugs first before doing any modifications as that has fixed some of these issues for some shooters.

You have three choices. Live with it and try to compensate for it by aiming left, send the gun back to Remington, others have done this and Remington seems to have a pretty good record of correcting the point of aim issue. Lastly, have the gun adjusted by a gunsmith. My VMT hits right almost exactly the same as yours. After the season is over (FN 3 Gun for me) I will be sending it Triangle and having them bring the POI to match the POA.

Hey, beat it on a telephone post for best results, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And Ive seen the same telephone pole used on both Remingtons and Perazzis, the pole doesnt discriminate.

Hey, beat it on a telephone post for best results, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

or I could hold the gun upside down when I shoot slugs and it'll shoot to the left?

Seriously you can beat it against a telephone pole. You will be surprised how hard you have to whack it to get it to move. I fixed a 3-4" windage problem I had doing so. I beat it against the tree a bunch and it still wasn't moving enough so Tim Ubl from TACCOM told me to stick it in the crotch of a tree and literally bend it. And it worked!

The other option is to sell it and start with a new one.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser