Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Head Separation

GForceLizard

I had a case head separation with the gun today. Looks to me like the gun fired out of battery. I had fired 9 rounds, reloaded and the boom was the next shot fired. It was not the first round after the reload but the round that was chambered before the reload. There does not appear to be any damage to the gun. The separated case round exited the barrel. I worked the malfunction like a double feed, until I realized the case in the chamber had no head. The case extended back out of the chamber and it was easy to extract with needle nose pliers. Is there anything I should have checked out before I shoot the gun again?

post-20397-0-92383900-1374435471_thumb.j

post-20397-0-80779400-1374435480_thumb.j

post-20397-0-52791600-1374435491_thumb.j

post-20397-0-86377700-1374435501_thumb.j

post-20397-0-70534100-1374435513_thumb.j

One thing you might check is whether or not the firing pin is sticking. It's possible that a primer that isn't seated properly could be set off while the slide is going into battery. If that were the case there wouldn't be anything on the gun to check out.

Are you using old brass that could have loose primer pockets ??

What gun? Were these reloads? What type of loads? How many times reloaded? Yes it might just be the result of an out of battery boom, but not enough info to tell. It might just be a case that was reloaded too many times.

Edited by Youngeyes

Bullets are Zero 180gr TCFM loaded to 1.200" The longest loaded rounds I found measured 1.205" When dropped in the barrel chamber they can be rotated, they are not engaging the rifling. Multiple loaded brass of unknown quality 25% chance it was Federal, 75% chance it was Winchester. Gun is a 2011.

IMO if that was you only time you had a problem, then it was a case whose time had come. Give your other cases a once over to be on the safe side. Give the gun a good cleaning and lubing, and shoot on.

Bullets are Zero 180gr TCFM loaded to 1.200" The longest loaded rounds I found measured 1.205" When dropped in the barrel chamber they can be rotated, they are not engaging the rifling. Multiple loaded brass of unknown quality 25% chance it was Federal, 75% chance it was Winchester. Gun is a 2011.

What powder?

I loaded a dummy round and pulled the slide back out of battery. Then I quickly pressed the trigger over and over as I slowly moved the slide forward. It would not drop the hammer until the slide was forward and closed. The barrel was obviously cammed upward before it would fire.

I'm confused because the case has bulged and formed on the feed ramp and hood outside and behind the chamber. I would have thought the bulging I see wouldn't be possible because this part of the case should be inside the closed chamber.

Could this just be weak brass? I'm leaning toward the bad brass explanation.

I had a case do exactly that in my Beretta 96. No visible damage, but the extractor no longer worked. I would suggest checking the extractor tension before you take it to the range again.

Thank you. The last picture in my first post shows where the case smashed the extractor. There is no tension in the extractor.