Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw par time?

BobS761

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My shot timer is a Pocket Pro II and has a par timer function which means I can set the par time to 1.0 sec for example, the timer beeps and still starts as per normal but once the par 1.0 sec time is reached it beeps again. So if I have drawn on the first beep and have then got a good sight picture and pressed the trigger by the time the 2nd beep goes off that is my draw time, 1.0 sec.

Sorry about the rough explanation but that is essentially how it works - I had no idea how people did this either when I first started, it was like some form of magic.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the game also. I timed myself on draw and fire two rounds from the holster on a 21' target. pretty good times, if I do say so myself. My match times are pretty terrible. No problems getting all "A"s. The problem is my times are as much as twice what the good shooters get on some of the longest stages. It really is an athletic/ economy of motion/ head game. And my times seem to never be quite what I get at home, either.

I think the mirror/ video idea is something I am going to incorporate as well as never doing any practice static. I am going to practice reloads etc. moving from now on.

Take a lesson from a local GM I took a dry fire clinic from Steve Anderson in May with 3 matches under my belt went from 1.2 to .6 to an acceptable sight picture. Now with lots of practice live fire and dry fire I have been able to get down to .64 to .68 live fire at 7 yards and at 10 yards I have shot sub .8 in match's a couple times.