Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next Steps for Benelli Performance Shop M2 3-Gun Shotgun (AKA: "If

oSPANNERo

I own a Benny modified M2 and all I can say is IT RUNS, it runs better than a timex or a duracell. I can run light low recoil or heavy loads and it eats them all. I have not had 1 shotgun malfunction since I got it back from Benny at Triangle. You want reliability? Mr. Hill will fix you up.

oSPANNERo I never took your posts as arguing.

Just to be clear, I don't shoot guns for a living. The reason a lot of these mods are out there are due to about 4 guys who really put time in on Benellis and figured out how to really slick them up. I started this journey back in 1995 on the H&K badged M1s. Bevin Graham started around 97, Benny jumped in around 1999, Taran started around 2009. There is a reason that a Triangle gun an Accurate Iron gun, and a TTI gun all have a list of stuff that looks like the others, it is because we all are friends and we all exchange info. Think of this as the good house keeping seal for Benelli. :)

Knowing exactly what Triangle does to a full race gun (in 2001 Benny and I sat down and made a list of all of it), and knowing what the Benelli factory folks were willing to pay for (Taran and I basically speced the gun for Benelli when we were the first guys on team Benelli and they didn't want to pay for all the mods recommend) has given me a unique perspective on what is done to M2 Benelli.

Edited by kurtm

@kurtm Thank you very much for your patience, and professionalism in this thread! I really do appreciate your explanations.

And as my comment around shooting guns for a living, please take that as an intended compliment (can't seem to win today) and I apologize for the error. It was based on what "little" information I got when I googled "Kurt Miller Benelli"

Once again, I didn't take it wrong. There are just a bunch of guy's who call themselves "pro shooters" who really aren't. Most all of them have real live day jobs to promote their hobbies. I want folks to know that I don't fall into that group! I am a fairly good Geologist, that happens to be fair at shooting and has way too much time on my hands to figure out stuff like Benellis. :)

Once again, I didn't take it wrong. There are just a bunch of guy's who call themselves "pro shooters" who really aren't. Most all of them have real live day jobs to promote their hobbies. I want folks to know that I don't fall into that group! I am a fairly good Geologist, that happens to be fair at shooting and has way too much time on my hands to figure out stuff like Benellis. :)

You, like another poster here are both helpful, and humble. :bow:

OspannerO. While Kurt has weighed in, I owe you the courtesy of a response. If I mis-characterized your comments as argumentative, my apologies. You had the foremost leading authority on Benelli explain the difference between a factory 3 gun and a Benny Hill custom job. It would be like Richard Childress describing the difference between a chevy and a NASCAR chevy. There are a number of excellent benelli smiths out there. Mike at Accurate Iron, Benny at Triangle, Taran at well Taran Tactical and Rose Action Sports. I respect them all. My Benelli went to Mike at Accurate Iron. It is exceptional. I listen when any of them talk about benelli. But when KurtM talks about benelli it is a PHD level lecture. If it were me, I would take that 3 gun you bought and send it and not just the bolt to benny. You will not be sorry.

Edited by striped1

• 2 weeks later...

Substantial discount on a stock M2 is right around $860.00, add a real full race prep for $ 950.00 and you have a gun that is $1810.00 and it has everything done, not just a few of the things done for a lot more money. Your call.

Where are you finding an M2 for $860. Wholesale?

I am in the market for a 24 incher and the best I can find is about $1125+tax and it is still on back order.

I understand there is a long list of work done for the high price of this custom work or custom guns. Is a $1100-1200 factory benelli m2 considered unreliable? Or is this just a non cost effective way to squeeze out a small percentage of extra performance?

A small percentage of extra performance.

I've been running a mildly modified M2 for around 6 years. It will run Fiocchi 1150 fps slugs and anything I've put through it. The bolt has not been modified (Kurt said light loads don't like light bolts), I polished the trigger some, beveled the loading port, 10-22 rear sight, deburred the extractor cut, bolt release button, and have a modified lifter. I modified the lifter I had welded to the way I liked it. I was told it is close to the old M1 lifter, it has a 1/4" radius cut in the front edge, rather than the long, bent version.

• 5 months later...

I am reviving this thread because I want to make sure I understand a few things.  I am interested in a Benelli M2, and want it set up for 3 Gun type Action Shotgun shooting.  I was looking closely at the M2 3-Gun model because I thought it came "finished", but now I'm learning it's only partly finished.

Am I better off getting the M2 Field gun which is about $1000 less than the 3 Gun model and sending it somewhere?  If I do send it somewhere reputable, how much will it cost me to "finish", and how long will it take?  The M2 3-Gun model comes with a 24" barrel, but if I'm getting an M2 Field model, do I go with the 24" or 26" barrel?

Thanks,

- Cuz.

You can find the best deal on an m2 field and have it finished (by a well known smith) for ~$2100, you can order a "done up" m2 for ~$2500, you can order a factory 3-gun version for ~$2200 and send it off to have it finished for a couple hundred more, or you can buy one to hack on yourself and never quite be as happy. 

Those are pretty much your options. 

Edited by 12Bravo
Spelling