Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next Steps for Benelli Performance Shop M2 3-Gun Shotgun (AKA: "If

oSPANNERo

Good morning all!

So I finally received the "3-gun" M2 I bought and it looks great! Unfortunately it appears the Benelli marketing material is... mistaken... and it *does not* come in the 8+1 configuration. To remedy this I ordered and installed a Nordic +5 MXT extension, loaded it up, and it shot like a champ.

Now I am *pretty sure* (like 95%) that Benelli basically outsourced this shotgun to Benny Hill for the "custom shop" aspect. Given that, is there anything left to do on this shot gun or did Benelli/Benny do it all already? (Seems like they did.)

I have used the search functionality in an effort to find more info around this shotgun but please do not form too large of a lynch-mob if I missed something obvious!

Thanks all!

-DK

And now, as the laws of the internets dictate, I have found my own answers within minutes of posting a public thread (even though it does conflict with my tube extension experience):

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141648&page=2

I will be building the custom shop benelli's and yes I will work on your benelli. I am building 3 for the shot show and will start building them for sell in late jan.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145634

It has everything done to it except the bolt lighting, hi-viz comp sight, nordic tube, clamp, ext. bolt handle, receiver opened up, safty worked, shell release worked, drill & taped bolt release w/ botton, nordic follower and ismi spring. We can lighten and flute the bolt for $100.00 plus shipping in about 3-5 days.

Oh!!!! It has c-rums lifter also.

Suprise, I can't get any now either. I charge about $2495.00 for one race ready. I would get one and send in the bolt. Sending out another 34 on monday.

Edited by oSPANNERo

Oh... and this is about the most I have found on the interwebz around explaining the "phantom" tube extension:

brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171837

We built all the 3-gum ones for benelli and will again maybe if they get their extensions worked out, meanwhile we can build you one just like it or better.

Great news ! Benny is the best. He built my Versa Max with everything you can add. It runs like grease through a goose. If Benny built it for Benelli there has to be good reason.

Yes, their is a Santa Clause.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement @Ken Bird!

The interesting thing is I just got a response from Benelli on my inquiry about the lack of tube extension and its very detailed and reasonable:

"There are 2 models of this gun, the MFG #'s are 11024 and 11023. The difference between the two is the inclusion on the magazine extension on 11024.

The one you purchased was a 11023, since it did not come with the extension, and verified by your serial number. In fact, we have not been selling any of the guns with the extension, it is a future product that is awaiting ATF approval.

At this time we are unable to sell magazine extensions, that is the part awaiting approval. Looking at the website, I see how you could have been confused, and I will address that to make it more clear. The 11023 you purchased obviously costs less than the gun with the extension, and I hope the price you paid reflected that. In our plans, we will use Nordic Components parts, and they are easily available directly from them at www.nordiccomp.com"

So in short, it seems like their website only shows the specs for the "future product" 11024 version and not the tube-less "current product" 11023 version.

Edited by oSPANNERo

100% agree with you @Chuck. I actually had already ordered a Nordic MXT tube extension kit, clamp, and follower last weekend just to be safe. They arrived yesterday and it too about 15 minuted from opening the box to smooshing the cap down on the spring: http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/nc-extensions/new-nc-mxt-shotgun-extension-complete-assembly-12ga/

About the only things I did that I might change:

1. I cut the spring to 16" longer than the end of the tube extension per Nordic's instructions. (I have seen a bunch of recommendations, including Benny's,saying it should be closer to 13" http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94683&p=1085186)
  2. I replaced the grey "spiral fluted" follower that came in the shotgun with a Nordic red one: http://bit.ly/14o28pB (Grey one looks like this: http://bit.ly/1bwUE6C Having read Benny's comments above and the little info I found online it seems to be an "older" version of the Nordic follower. After the gold one but before the red one maybe? But I haven't figured out why Nordic changed the design yet.)
  3. Swap out to the current safety to an Oversized Safety: http://davesmetalworks.com/ben12.htm

I figure I'll try to keep updating the thread with any other info I find to provide a resource for anyone else looking for more info on the shotgun. I just don't know how much more I will be able to contribute with my n00bness!

Edited by oSPANNERo

• 2 years later...

I wanted to revive this thread and see if there were any folks here who had purchased the Benelli 3 Gun Performance Center model and had any hands on experience with it.

Did they get the extension tube issue worked out?

-John

Edited by RolexJohn

Recommendation!

Have either Triangle, Accurate Iron or Taran Tactical build up a stock M2 for you. You will get much more done for the $$ than you will ever get from a "custom shop" Benelli.

I wanted to revive this thread and see if there were any folks here who had purchased the Benelli 3 Gun Performance Center model and had any hands on experience with it.

-John

No, the 922r import restrictions come into play and complicate the matter.

As Kurt mentioned there are a few good smiths that put out a good race ready M2 that will be a better value.

-John

No, the 922r import restrictions come into play and complicate the matter.

As Kurt mentioned there are a few good smiths that put out a good race ready M2 that will be a better value.

Under normal circumstances you would be correct but I'm eligible to purchase this gun at a substantial discount.

So I do need to buy an extension tube, correct? Can I do this through Benelli or should I call Nordic?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

I can say that I do not regret my purchase in any way/shape/form. If you can get a deal on it, I personally wouldn't hesitate and just order the tube from Nordic. (Skip the clamp.) But I would consider a bigger/longer tube than the +5.

Substantial discount on a stock M2 is right around $860.00, add a real full race prep for $ 950.00 and you have a gun that is $1810.00 and it has everything done, not just a few of the things done for a lot more money. Your call.

Just want to point out that in this thread (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145634) Benny states he charges $2495 for a race ready M2. He then goes on to state the major difference between his and the Benelli Custom Shop one is that he does some additional bolt lightening which he offers to do for $100 with a 5 day turnaround. So, unless I am missing something, the Benelli version seems like a decent deal.

Direct quote from Benny in that thread: "I would get one and send in the bolt."

oSPANNERo, I speced out the "custom shop" gun for Benelli. After a big long list of features they sat down and picked the stuff that they were willing to do for a bulk price, and trust me it was far less work than what was speced out.

Now does that make the custom shop gun bad??? HELL NO!!! They are good guns!! They are just incomplete FOR THE MONEY!!! If I was to drop that kind of coin on ANY gun, I would want it to have everything that could possibly help....not less with cool lazered etching.

As for Triangle, I will let my amigo Benny address this, but he and I always lamented the fact that Benelli wouldn't do more for the price, and I know Benny discounted his work heavily for them. NOT because he was charging a lot for his work, but he really cared that folks got the most they could from the gun they bought, and still does.

My apologies @Kurtm if my statements came across as a challenge to you or your experience and knowledge. My only intent was to give my personal experience (my first post) and point out what appeared to be inconsistencies between what was being said in this thread and what Benny said in a previous thread about his own build. (my second and third posts).
As an industry "outsider" and a consumer I am a slave to primary resources. So when I was researching my purchase back in 2013 (three years ago) all I could do is rely on a "relatively new" (at the time) thread where a well known industry name said "I would get one and send in the bolt".
So now when a new reputable source comes in and provides additional information, as you have here, it begs re-evalutation. And it seems like the answer may fall into the comparative availability of the M2 platform in 2012/2013 vs now. But I am still confused at the discrepancy between your statement that Benelli had "far less work" done than what is available for the money. (This is not a challenge to your statement simply a request for clarification). I completely understand if you can't/won't go into the details but at least this will serve to detail my thinking/meta-analaysis for others heading down the same road.
First off, purchasing your own Benelli M2 at a price <$1500 and sending it in to Benny is clearly the most economical since, as you pointed out, its only $895 to have Benny slick up an M2 you already own. But I would like to simply compare the two "factory" guns as I feel like I am missing something glaring that is blindingly obvious to everyone else.
Looking at the TSS site the following comes with a build for a price tag of $2,395: http://triangleshootingsports.com/products/shotgun/
Benelli M2 choice of 21 in., 24 in., or 26 in. barrel lengths
Lightened and fluted bolt
Extended bolt handle
Drill and tap bolt release and install over sized button
Modify Safety for easy on and off
Mill loading port for maximum access and ease of loading
Undercut from front of receiver to aid dual or quad loading
Extended lifter
Your choice Nordic Extension tube
HiViz front sight
Tune to POA = POI with slugs
IMSI Tube spring to increase reliability
Sight pinned and screwed
Then I look at the list that Benny provided for the Benelli 3gun Edition for *MSRP* of $2499 (My implication is that you could get it for less than MSRP.): http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145634
Benelli M2 24"
hi-viz comp sight
ext. bolt handler
receiver opened up
safty worked
shell release worked
drill & taped bolt release w/ botton
c-rums lifter
***retains factory warranty***
That leaves a difference of "two-ish" items:
Lightened/Fluted Bolt = $100
Nordic Tube and IMSI Tube Spring with low drag follower = $100
So wouldn't a purchase of a Benelli 3 gun edition potentially be a "better deal" as long as it could be had for under, say, $2,100? (Figuring in $200 for cost of the missing items and $95 for shipping and effort to get them.) Especially since "after market modification" *MAY* cause some conflict with Benelli if something were to go wrong down the road?
Edited by oSPANNERo

You are right, I won't go into it. I will only say that there are a lot more steps on how internal parts are fit, polished, radiused and tuned that the factory simply won't pay for. Little things like pining the front sight, aligning the tube to adjust poi/ poa, porting the back of the barrel, radiusing the extractor cut......etc. that all go into a full race job, when you send it in.

You are right, I won't go into it. I will only say that there are a lot more steps on how internal parts are fit, polished, radiused and tuned that the factory simply won't pay for. Little things like pining the front sight, aligning the tube to adjust poi/ poa, porting the back of the barrel, radiusing the extractor cut......etc. that all go into a full race job, when you send it in.

Thanks for the response and it makes sense. You can put aftermarket parts on anything but the devil is in the details of fitment where the last 10% can take 90% of the time and labor cost. And for corporations that first 90% is "good enough" for the pro-sumer market.

I just wish this info was available when I made my decision back in 2013. But I am sure your explanations will help people in the same situation going forward.

Sounds like I need to plan to send my shotgun in to TSS to have it "finished".... :sick:

Edited by oSPANNERo

@Striped1: If you re-read the history of this post you will notice I wasn't "arguing" anything... I made *one* qualitative statement about how *I* felt regarding the firearm that did not directly refute @kurtm's recommendation. My other two recent posts were simply regarding comparative analysis of stated facts. I *never* said that anyone was wrong, simply pointed out that the statements of two resources of an ultra-high level of comparative respect *appeared* to say conflicting things. I even went as far as to *CLEARLY* state in both posts that I could be missing something.

Now perhaps you can explain to me why I, as an owner of the rather expensive product in question, would not want to understand why the information didn't match up? Are you saying I should not be confused as a consumer and non-pro when the man who built the gun for a living states "It has everything done to it except the bolt lighting"/"I would get one and send in the bolt." but the man who shoots the gun for a living says "They are just incomplete FOR THE MONEY"? (To be clear, I am not deprecating either contributor, just identifying relative and extensive expertise.) And now that I have been educated, or at least updated, should I not admit my mistake?

From what I see here, its "faith" without asking more questions that actually put me in a position where I purchased a firearm that I believed to be "the same" minus a few called out specifics. Perhaps if I had questioned more extensively at the time I would have made a different choice but something makes me feel like I likely would have been called out then, as you are now, for "arguing with the SME" about his own product.

I also find it interesting that your contribution to the thread is comparatively minimal and clearly inflammatory even though we both have similar tenure on this site (About one year apart in join date it seems.), I just happen to comment less and lurk more. And are you saying that people that are newer or perhaps not as "hard core" shouldn't be able to identify what they see as inconsistencies in data that is being presented and ask questions about why it appears inconsistent? That seems like a quick way to alienate beginners in a sport, like any other, that requires new people to join and participate in order to grow.

Edited by oSPANNERo