Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

opening up a tight barrel chamber

cpa5oh

I've got a few aftermarket Glock barrels that don't chamber lead reliably - I've already used a throater/reamer on them and the issue is neither that the projectiles are running into a throat that is too narrow nor are the projectiles running into the barrel rifling. The chambers just need to be made wider - but not longer - by a few thousandths of an inch.

Is this something the home gunsmith can accomplish given the right tools? (I did the throating/reaming myself, making me believe this can be done at home as well...however, there might be a risk of lengthening the chamber which I obviously don't want to do - not sure how easy it is to avoid that if I go very slowly with the cutting.)

If it is something the home gunsmith can do at home with the right tools, what are the right tools? Just a chamber finishing reamer? How would I know that the finish reamer I purchased would measure the couple of thousandths over the size of these tight barrel chambers?

Thank you so much if you can give me some advice.

I've got a few aftermarket Glock barrels that don't chamber lead reliably - I've already used a throater/reamer on them and the issue is neither that the projectiles are running into a throat that is too narrow nor are the projectiles running into the barrel rifling. The chambers just need to be made wider - but not longer - by a few thousandths of an inch.

What caliber? Where is the bullet when it stops feeding up?

I was wondering if maybe rounding over the top of the feed ramp might help it feed.

As for reaming a throat at home: I have done it on some aftermarket 9mm barrels I bought specifically to shoot 6,000 rounds of 9mm reloads I bought which had cases that were not sized properly. I made my own reamers using the shank ends of drill bits. I wrapped strips of #60 cutting paper around the ends and taped them in place and spun them into the throat with a hand drill. Select the drill size to get a SNUG fit when stuffed in. Obviously, this is a mickey mouse method not ultra precision. Only use for taking off a small amount.

Made me wonder if the ammo you are shooting might not be sized correctly?

Edited by bountyhunter

.40 caliber.

I'm talking about holding the barrel in my hand and dropping a round down into it to "chamber check" the round...the feed ramp doesn't come into play at all.

I'm not looking to ream the throat of this barrel - that's already been done. (We might have a different definition of the word "throat," though - I'm using the word to mean the part just after the chamber and just before the rifling starts...you may be talking about the beginning of the chamber?)

I think the entire chamber needs to be made wider. Storm Lake says they'll do it for $60...but I've got two barrels and I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I get further into this shooting hobby/sport, so if possible, I'd like to do it myself.

Yeah...the completed rounds/ammo chamber checks just fine into both a stock Glock .40 barrel and my EGW chamber checker. I guess these aftermarket barrels from KKM and Storm Lake are made to tightly chamber jacketed/plated ammo only and really aren't compatible with lead (which is never sized at .400, but instead .401 to .402,) especially in .40 caliber. I'd like to think that there'd be a warning that said "if you plan on shooting lead from this barrel, it is going to need some work" BEFORE you commit to purchase, but there is not. It's a shame because most people that buy aftermarket Glock barrels are buying them specifically to be able to shoot lead. And having such a tight chamber and *trying* to shoot lead through it seems dangerous - two days ago my G24 fired out of battery as a result of this and blew the back of a case off (stung, but neither I nor the gun was damaged.) I'm just one man, though, and hardly strong enough to start a revolution :goof:

I'm in a similar situation with a 9mm barrel. Chamber seems fine but TC lead bullets hit the lands before the round fully seats. Do I need one of Pacific Tool and Guage Uni-Throater? Will that allow me to lengthen the throat a little?

I'm in a similar situation with a 9mm barrel. Chamber seems fine but TC lead bullets hit the lands before the round fully seats. Do I need one of Pacific Tool and Guage Uni-Throater? Will that allow me to lengthen the throat a little?

See what Toolguy said... this may be the issue for both yourself and Mr. cpa5oh. Personally, I think you both need finish reamers, but I always defer to Mr. Dave Kiff at PTG... he is the "best ream for the application" man and may in fact suggest a Uni-R.

C

Yeah...the completed rounds/ammo chamber checks just fine into both a stock Glock .40 barrel and my EGW chamber checker. I guess these aftermarket barrels from KKM and Storm Lake are made to tightly chamber jacketed/plated ammo only and really aren't compatible with lead (which is never sized at .400, but instead .401 to .402,) especially in .40 caliber. I'd like to think that there'd be a warning that said "if you plan on shooting lead from this barrel, it is going to need some work" BEFORE you commit to purchase, but there is not. It's a shame because most people that buy aftermarket Glock barrels are buying them specifically to be able to shoot lead. And having such a tight chamber and *trying* to shoot lead through it seems dangerous - two days ago my G24 fired out of battery as a result of this and blew the back of a case off (stung, but neither I nor the gun was damaged.) I'm just one man, though, and hardly strong enough to start a revolution :goof:

Just a thought, I got some moly coated from BBI that are .400. I've only loaded a handful but plan to load and shoot some this weekend

I would think the manufacturer would ream it for free. Give them a call about warranty, send a couple of unprimed rounds for fitting. Even if they charge you, better than experimenting and then having to buy a replacement if you mess it up...

:surprise: I heard a story from a shooter that had his barrel opened up. This occurred in AZ. The gunsmith is no longer there but has since worked in other good shops.

The gunsmith took a dremel tool with the flapwheel and just stuck it in the barrels and ran it for a few seconds. Everything was fine.

I've heard horror stories about whomped out chambers and bloated brass. But a little polishing might be the trick. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/hones-files/handgun-polishing-system-prod649.aspx

When I hit an obstruction like this I paint it with Dykem and shove it in there and see where the interfearance is by looking for the marks in Dykem.