Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejection Problems with SP01 Shadow Custom

HeinrichDerLowe

Some significant malfunctions have taken my SP01 Shadow out of match rotation.

About my setup:

-Purchased from CZ custom in January

-Round Count 1,000-1,200

-Mags: Mec-Gar AFC 17rd (the factory 18rd mags are junk)

-Ammo: Precision Delta 124gr JHP over TiteGroup (have also tried various factory loads)

About the malfunction:

-Stove-pipe failure to eject, with a second round feeding into chamber underneath. The fresh round essentially results in a double-feed since it is caught over the feed ramp while still retained by the feed lips on the magazine.

-Removing the stove-piped spent case results in a true double feed as the slide grabs yet another round from the magazine.

-To resolve it, I have to strip the magazine from the gun with some authority, rack the slide, fresh mag, rack slide, and go (finally).

Other Observations:

-The malfunction has been occurring with increased regularity, beginning after ~500 rounds. Now occurs about every 50rds.

-The malfunction has occurred with numerous magazines.

-My gun was delivered with a very rough chamber and leaves brass heavily scored. I initially thought the increased friction between the spent casing and chamber was slowing the slide sufficiently to prevent proper ejection.

-Another competitor has an identical SP01 Shadow (purchased at the same time) with ~1,500rds that has just begun exhibiting the exact same malfunction as my gun. Since his does not leave scored brass, I suspect the rough chamber is not the cause of my trouble.

-There does appear to be a bit of dirt on the outside edge of the extractor, but it seems to actuate properly.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, how did you correct it?

Suggestions?

Call CZ custom. They have great CS.

I have probably 5000+ rounds through my Shadow Custom and haven't had any failures like you describe. I also use the factory mags without issue. I need to upgrade my mag springs but that is due to use.

Clean my Matt Mink sp-01 shadow target about every 750 rounds.Factory mags have never had any problems. 10,000 rounds through it.Only takes a few minutes to clean.

I'd send it back on account of the barrel alone. It might not be causing the problem but it can't be helping.

Were you using really junky, dirty ammo? If so the extractor may need to be cleaned but generally they will go at least 5k rounds before they get gummed up enough to cause issues. You need to remone the extractor from the slide to clean it properly.

I'd also check the ejector. The tip should have an angle. If it's rounded or chipped you'll have issues.

Had the same problem. I feel most of the problem was the ejector, the new ones are shorter and flat on the end. My fix was to file an angle on it to the upper outer corner. First tried lower outer, as that's how all my other cz's are, which

cut fte's more than half. Second try was to upper outer as described on the cz sp-01 forums, http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=22862.0. I also polished the chamber, cleaned the extractor and fit the increased strength extractor spring to it. Still have an occasional issue, but it's rare. Good luck.

Remove extractor. Clean throughly--particularly in inside portion of the hook that engages the case rim. Hard, burned powder will collect there and interfer with extraction. Second, on the left side of the breach face as you look down the slide, there is an area where the extractor presses the case rim. That area should have a grove in it to help hold the case rim. Burned powder will buildup there and also cause problems with extraction/ejection.

YMMV: 52k rnds through and SP01 using factory 18 rnds mags. No mag issues at all using CZ factory mags. Pistol approximately 7 years old. Still using the original mags and extras I purchased when I bought the pistol. I have made minor lip adjustments to 2 or 3 mags that my have be stepped on. Worked fine, then a problem, inspection showed bent lips, adjusted, and they work fine now. They better last forever since I live in the Peoples Republic of Colorado.

It could be 3 things at the least - extractor is dirty, ejector is not angled or/and mag springs are factory weak ones.

For ejector, there is a link in post #6 above, I had to do it to mine.

For extractor, here is my write up: Click Here

+10% mag springs is all I use for years now, bought at CZCustom, I replace them every year (about 5K rounds thru/per magazine).

Thanks guys. The detailed info on the extractor was certainly helpful. I hadn't thought to pull mine for cleaning since the round count was so low, but I have it out now and its quite dirty. Hopefully a thorough scrubbing will resolve the matter.

The extractors are almost a little oversize, and any dirt will cause issues. Sometimes a little polishing or emory cloth to slightly smooth things up and give it more room to move is called for.

Do these mods. They will cure your problems. I had the same exact problems and same timing. These cured the issues 100%, no stove pipes, no double feeds, no issues at all since I made the mods.

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=22862.0

Agreed. I had issues with ejection/stove pipes on a SP-01 Shadow and I changed the ejector angle as described there and never had a problem since.