Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Shooter - New to Reloading looking for information.

EvilBetty

My competition gun is a S&W M&P 9mm Pro 5". I started out shooting 3-gun Tactical but am beginning to shoot NRA action and will maybe be doing USPSA and IDPA as well soon if I can get the ammo factory going.

I'm getting setup for reloading (minus powders :angry2:) and looking for some advise. I've been getting all kinds of advise from shooters and have been in several forums, including this one looking at reload information.

The only person I know that shoots this same gun and reloads for it, recommended the following.

3.8 gr Bulleye, 124 gr bullet with a tungsten guide rod and 13lb recoil spring.

I'm looking to make this gun as competitive as possible with a custom load. Accurate, low recoil, easy back on target. I read Titegroup and N310 or N320 might be better choices?

Questions:

Should I definitely do the guide rod and spring? I've never shot a gun with this kind of modification before.

Should I be looking at using 147gr instead of 124gr?

Taper or roll crimp? The Hornady dies I'll be buying offer both options.

Thanks!

you will get many responses about the proper bullet and powder combo, and most will be just fine. i have settled on 3.2 gr n320 and BBI,or bayou bullets, 147 gr and a 13 lb recoil spring. i have also used, and liked, precision delta bullets and montana gold 147gr bullets with equal success. I found WST,hp38 and tightgroup to all be ok for me also, but n320 is the best if you can get it.

I shot 4.1 gr Titegroup and a 124 Montana Gold JHP for NRA Action Pistol when I shot production. I had an odd M&P Pro in that it was actually pretty accurate out of the box.

I shot this load, because it was my IDPA and USPSA load, and happened to be accurate enough for me at NRA Action as well. It would have held the 10ring as long as I could. If not, I would have tried 115 and 147 gr bullets also.

Matt, the choice of bullet weight is entirely personal.

From talking and reading, I get the impression (could be wrong) that:

* beginners prefer the 115 grains because they're easier to buy and cheaper

* more experienced shooters prefer the 147's due to the lighter recoil (like me).

* experts prefer the 124's because they're faster than the 147's (sights

come back more quickly, from recoil)

Probably depends on where you are - beginner, experienced or expert -

but the only way to know is to try them out. :cheers:

I shot 4.1 gr Titegroup and a 124 Montana Gold JHP for NRA Action Pistol when I shot production. I had an odd M&P Pro in that it was actually pretty accurate out of the box.I shot this load, because it was my IDPA and USPSA load, and happened to be accurate enough for me at NRA Action as well. It would have held the 10ring as long as I could. If not, I would have tried 115 and 147 gr bullets also.

You could do a lot worse than to follow this advice as a starting point. Anyone that can clean the Bianchi course of fire is a pretty good source for accurate loads.

I shot 4.1 gr Titegroup and a 124 Montana Gold JHP for NRA Action Pistol when I shot production. I had an odd M&P Pro in that it was actually pretty accurate out of the box.I shot this load, because it was my IDPA and USPSA load, and happened to be accurate enough for me at NRA Action as well. It would have held the 10ring as long as I could. If not, I would have tried 115 and 147 gr bullets also.

You could do a lot worse than to follow this advice as a starting point. Anyone that can clean the Bianchi course of fire is a pretty good source for accurate loads.

Thanks, Id probably try to shoot the Zero's and compare now (especially the new style in 115&125), but I just didnt see the need then when it worked so well.

+1. Except I use 124 Montana Gold FMJ or Berry's124 gr behind 4.1 Titegroup.

Wow, great info guys. Thanks!

I've never heard of any of those bullet manufacturer's. Time for bullet research!

I managed to find a couple boxes of CCI 500 primers at Bass Pro last week. Now just to track down one of these recommended powders! Online with the current purchasing limits, these hazmat fees make it a deal breaker.

Do yourself a favor and shoot a 10 round group of 115, 124, 147 at 25 yards and see what the group sizes are like. In most 5" M&Ps, the accuracy is not very good. Some are okay until a few thousand rounds and then heads south. No use chasing loads if you don't know that the gun will shoot factory stuff acceptably.

Sure, some will say their M&Ps are accurate, and some are okay, but the target holes are the proof. Good enough for most IDPA and 3Gun, but not for NRA action nor USPSA.

I settled on 124/125 JHPs with the Hornady HAPs giving the best overall accuracy. The Montana Golds were some of the least accurate in the stock barrels, but they have worked for others. Really need to wring out your pistol with a few flavors, then tweak the recipe.

Edited by MarkCO