Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my longslide conversion......and I'm disappointed?

So after waiting a long time, I finally got my .45 ACP longslide conversion for my witness match. Apparently I didn't know that I had a choice of wonder finish (what is it?) and blue, and ended up with wonder finish. Slide goes on my match frame no issue. But the joy was short lived.

I have two issues, and I don't know if it is a gunsmith issue, or one where I need to send it back to EAA.

Issue #1: Either I need to go back to disassembling a semi-auto pistol school, or this barrel was pressed into the slide because I can't seem to get it elevated enough to clear the back of the breech and get it out of the slide. The recoil spring and guide rod come out just fine. This could be an issue for cleaning lol. Has anyone else had this issue? From what I can tell there isn't enough room by the fwd end of the slide to allow the barrel to rotate enough to get out of the slide. I am guessing this is not normal and would not be able to be fixed without taking material off and refinishing the slide. So this might require return to EAA?

Issue #2: It appears that the lug on the bottom of the barrel is slightly undersized against my current slide stop pin, because if I take the pin and put it in the lug it is a VERY tight fit. This seems to make it incredibly notchy going in and out of battery as the slide goes back and forth. I have only run it about 1/2 a dozen times because I don't want to cause undue wear on the pin and cause the match slide to be sloppy.

Has anyone had either of these issues? This is the first time I have bought a conversion for a witness and so much for just drop in and go.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what you describe the function doesn't sound right. I'd call or send it back to see what they say.

I have to ask, which is considered to be best - blued or wonderfinish? I am waiting on a longslide conversion myself and told them I would take either. I figured that wonderfinish was a plating, but google indicates that it is a treated stainless steel. I donno.

Yeah the color combo is not the best, shown for others:

IMG_5103.JPG

Here you can see what the muzzle looks like when I try to take the barrel out

IMG_5105.JPG

This is as far as the barrel will go. You can see easily where it won't go past. Very odd, no idea how they got it in there.

IMG_5104.JPG

Guess I will have to call EAA tomorrow and see what customer support has to say. Hopefully I get one of the nice ladies, so far except for one call, they have been helpful and pleasant.

Edited by vikingtraveler

You are a wealth of Tanfo info KneelingAtlas, thanks. :cheers:

So, it looks like the blued vs.wonderfinish is a cosmetic issue, and not a materials or durability issue.

I will try and get a picture of it, but the barrel hood will not clear the raised machined back end of the slide (bottom of the breech). The barrel does not get out of the slide far enough that I can rotate it as the square sides of the barrel are still engaged with the side of the slide. I was assuming that the fit issue might be the slide on the frame, but I assumed the barrel and slide would be fitted together, was I incorrect?

I'm missing something here. After you pull the guide-rod and spring out what happens when you push the barrel forward in the slide? Forward, up and out it should come! Would a video help? I can do one of mine real quick for you.

so i got my longslide conversion last week, first was wrong caliber, it is wonder finish and i asked for blue, the front sight is a fixed blade (how is a fixed blade a super sight), when i called EAA took them for ever to realize that yes i was supposed get a 9mm not 40 even though my paper work clearly stated 9mm. I was a bit disappointed in the look and the fit on my match elite. i have sent it back any bets on what i get in return??????

my dealings with EAA are disapointing at best. i truly like their guns but not them..

I can't remember having a single interaction with EAA that wasn't a pain from a customer service perspective or the order was botched up in some way. In business the level of customer service quality is usually proportionate to the amount of competition in the industry. Since EAA is currently the only importer of EAA and Tanfoglio firearms they have ZERO competition to contend with. If another Tanfoglio importer came into the US market and provided better customer service, EAA would have to up their game or be left in the dust. Until they have some level of competition I really don't see any motivation for them to provide better customer service than what they are currently offering.