Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 - Shellplate alignment

Ok, former green gear guy, recently shifted over to blue. My 650 was misaligned on the upstroke (shellplate down). But, I adjust the indexing pawl and that seems to be fixed. However, I still have an issue during the downstroke (shellplate going up) with the powder funnel and decap/resize die. It's off by a hair. The funnel catches on the case rim in station 2 and the decap/resize doesn't center enough to make it in without a small nudge. This isn't every time, but it's enough to be annoying. What to do?

I'm not familiar with the 650, but on my 550s I tightened the dies with the shellplate all the way up and with rounds in all of the stations. This helps ensure proper alignment of the dies with the stations on the shellplate.

Tom

Ok, will have to call them on Monday. Had another friend with 650 experience come over, he went through the same things I did. We swapped powder die, checked funnel. It's off by a hair on the case rim still. Thanks all.

• 1 month later...

Dillon should send you an alignment tool for free. At least they used to. Then make sure you raise the plate and tighten dies

The alignment tool is free...sent right away...thanks Dillon. Bummer that shipping was $22.49 :( If Dillon would ship small items USPS Priority mail it would have cost $5 and some change. Glad to have it anyway.

Did you get it fixed? I've had problems with alignment for seating primers. Index pawl was adjusted properly, and I'd loosen the 2 screws that bolt the shell plate platform to the main shaft, try to hold it in place as I tightened those screws. Still wouldn't really fix it, and to be honest, I didn't find Dillon's alignment tool all that helpful. The trouble comes loading military .223 brass. I think it's just that maybe the primer pockets are not consistently in the center of the cases. I've learned how much pressure I can apply, without smashing the primer. If it's not going to go, I give the case a spin, and then normally the primer will seat (hence why I think it's maybe my brass... although I've tried lots of different head stamps, and all give me the same problem). After battling this for a while, they sent me a replacement shell plate platform, and that seemed to help some.

To try to alleviate the brass issue, I've been trying to swage it as much as possible...keeping the case support rod long enough that the case fits tightly into the swage maybe 60-70% of the time, and takes a light tap with a hammer or deburring of the flash hole to get the case to fit into the swage the other 30-40% of the time. I thought this method was working pretty well...not having to spin as many cases to get the primer to seat.... until I had a primer fall out of a round and jam up the lugs in my rifle at the local 3gun match this past weekend. So now I wonder if I'm over-swaging?? Never a dull moment....

What is it they say? If it was easy, everyone would do it?

Whoa, they charged you $22.49 to ship a FREE part? Was there anything else on that order?

Dillon should send you an alignment tool for free. At least they used to. Then make sure you raise the plate and tighten dies

The alignment tool is free...sent right away...thanks Dillon. Bummer that shipping was $22.49 :( If Dillon would ship small items USPS Priority mail it would have cost $5 and some change. Glad to have it anyway.

Whoa, they charged you $22.49 to ship a FREE part? Was there anything else on that order?

No, no other items with the tool. Shipped FedEx. I have not used the tool yet. I ordered it in advance of a gotta have it scenario.

Edited by katosan

Guess the "free tool" ain't so free after all! That sucks big time. Now that I think about it, I has ordered some items and Dillon was going to ship them for free as I was having warranty issues. Well, I ordered a small piece "I forgot what it was" cost no more than $4-5. Thinking they would throw it in the same box as my other items, they didn't and charged me like $9. To ship it.

Guess the "free tool" ain't so free after all! That sucks big time. Now that I think about it, I has ordered some items and Dillon was going to ship them for free as I was having warranty issues. Well, I ordered a small piece "I forgot what it was" cost no more than $4-5. Thinking they would throw it in the same box as my other items, they didn't and charged me like $9. To ship it.

Next time just tell them to "Will Call" your order and drive over to Tempe and pick it up.

Next time just tell them to "Will Call" your order and drive over to Tempe and pick it up.

It isn't Tempe, Dillon is in North Scottsdale.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue while working on 308. Shell plate was getting hung up on the indexing pawl so that it wouldn't allow the ball to fully engage with the detent under the plate. this was creating a misalignment where the primer pocket was about 1/16" off center with the primer seater. I went through the realignment process with the tool from Dillon this did not fix the problem. It did not work because this realigns the entire platform to the upper machine and did not address the shell plate advancing too far.

The solution was simple. I loosened the bolts holding the indexer block and moved it out of the way a little so the shell plate wasn't being pushed too far. This made the pawl travel shorter and allowed the indent in the plate and ball to do the aligning.

Hope this helps, not sure it is the same problem I was having but seems similar.

I'm new to posting on the forum but have been referencing the vast knowledge contained herein since I got my 650 a few years ago. Felt I needed to give back a little for all I've learned here over the years.

Edited by 45LinemanNH

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, that one didn't help. Going to give Dillon another call tomorrow. I'm baffled...

Without a casing in the shell plate, the funnel is not directly over the shell plate casing holder. It's not until the funnel hits the opening that it "nudges" the shell plate into position. This is the same if the shell is in the shell plate, the rim hits the funnel, requiring a nudge to put the funnel concentric with the mouth of the brass.

It's like the pawl or the ball aren't centering the shell plate correctly. Terribly frustrating...

Did you do the realignment with the tool from Dillon? Is shell plate bolt too tight? If the problem is on the down stroke there should be no involvement with the pawl at that point and the detent should move the shell plate into position. It sounds like the platform and the tool head are out of alignment. This should be fixed with the alignment tool.

I'm sure the Dillon techs will get you straightened out. Good luck.

I'd like to hear what they tell you, post an update when you get it figured out.