Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun to buy?

I am relatively new to uspsa. I am wondering what is a better all around gun for limited division. I am currently shooting a borrowed Glock 35 until I can make up my mind what I want to buy. I would like to get some feedback on the differences between the Glock 35's and the 2011's offered by svi, sti, etc. Other than price, is there a big difference? Will the glock limit you as a shooter?

IMHO, the STI/SVI or even a Para-Ordnance would be a better choice. Out of the box, an STI Edge is a much more capable gun than the Glock. While it's true, people like Dave Sevigny (sp?) have done amazing things with Glocks, unless you're some kind of miracle worker, you'll probably do better with the STI/SVI/Para. About the only reason to get a Glock would be cost.

Shameless plug: There's a nice EAA Witness set up for both Open and Limited class that's for sale in the classifieds section here cheaper than virtually any STI/SVI Limited gun for sale.

I am relatively new to uspsa. I am wondering what is a better all around gun for limited division. I am currently shooting a borrowed Glock 35 until I can make up my mind what I want to buy. I would like to get some feedback on the differences between the Glock 35's and the 2011's offered by svi, sti, etc. Other than price, is there a big difference? Will the glock limit you as a shooter?

There is NO comparison between the 2 and yes the Glock will limit you.

I started with a Glock 35 .

Nice gun, but I must admit that I was limited with this one.

First the trigger speed. I think a 1911/2011 system is hard to beat when it comes to trigger.

Then a 2011 pistol can be a way more "accessorized" to fit your shooting style and needs.

But I'm still a Glock lover ;)

Will the glock limit you as a shooter?

Only if your mind tells you it will limit you.....

To put it another way --- if it's important to you to shoot the same gun as most of the better shooters, or if your feeling for the gun involves more than that it's the means to an end, then a type of gun could conceivably limit you.....

If you're looking to launch lots of bullets downrange in practice and to improve, then just pick one and practice in the immortal words of Steve Anderson.....

The new model Kimber Ten II that works with S_I mags (or so I hear) might be viable. In this way you can have the nice 1911 trigger at Glock price point. The Kmber also points better for me. You will be limited to .45 (kimber does not make a .40 in the Ten II), If they did I would have one now. As everyone should know by now the Kimber uses a Bul M5 frame.

I think I will take one of my S_I mags down to the local gun shop and check.

A magwell will be hard to come by also, but hey do exist.

I still like the S_I best. YMMV.

This has been discussed a billion times and I think the general concensus is that if you can drop $2,000 and still sleep at night, get the S_I. If your budget is a bit tighter than that, get the Glock and a truckload of practice ammo for the same price.

The new model Kimber Ten II that works with S_I mags (or so I hear) might be viable. In this way you can have the nice 1911 trigger at Glock price point. The Kmber also points better for me. You will be limited to .45 (kimber does not make a .40 in the Ten II), If they did I would have one now. As everyone should know by now the Kimber uses a Bul M5 frame.

I think I will take one of my S_I mags down to the local gun shop and check.

A magwell will be hard to come by also, but hey do exist.

I still like the S_I best. YMMV.

Slight thread drift here. Either Kimber is no longer using the Bul frame or the Bul frame has changed. Either way the new Ten II's look different from the old ones.

Back on topic. I gave up my STI so that my daughter could shoot it. Since then I have been using a Glock 35. The transition did not go smoothly at first but I think I am finally getting back to shooting as well as I did with the STI. I don't see it as a disadvantage to shoot the Glock now.

As far as fiscal concerns go you might be able to find a used S_I for only a little more than a really tricked out Glock will run you. By the time I put the following stuff on my gun I had about $1200 invested in my G35

Glockmeister Magwell

KKM Barrel

Dawson Sights

JP Mag Release

Steel Guide Rod

Wolf Springs

Arredondo Basepads & Springs (4)

FML Mags (4)

By contrast my buddy, who I think must have robbed some poor guy, picked up a really nice used STI for $1300. You don't see deals like that every day but that is what he paid.

-ld

Try to shoot both and see which gun points better for you. I own a STI, but I shoot a Glock 22 in LTD because I like how it points and the ultra-light weight. Most people prefer the S_I platform however.

IMO, trigger speed is not an issue. With practice, you can shoot fast splits with a Glock - and fast splits mean very little to your overall time anyway.

The trigger is only a slight handicap, IMO, on distant/small steel.

sbra27, there is nothing you can do with a 2011 that you can't do with a Glock. True, the guns look, feel and handle different, but they're capable of the same. Most people would probably go for the STI, because it has a trigger that's easier to learn (which does not mean that it's better). A friend of mine recently purcased s 2011 after shooting a Glock for 3 years. He loves his new gun and keeps telling me it's so much better than his Glock. But the funny thing is, he shoots the same scores and the same times as he did with the Glock. His new gun just makes him feel like he's shooting better. There are no objective differences between the performance of the two guns. You'll be the only one to make the difference.

A little background first....

Prior to the modular guns becoming available I shot 1911's. I then switched to the EAA/P-9 guns and then to the modular guns. I started with a TRI, then a CMC, and then STI's. I n 1997 I switched to the Glock because the LE Dept I was working for thought it would be cool to have a shooting team using dept issue equipment. Since I retired in June of this year I have switched back to the STI's.

The Glock is prefectly capable of taking you to Master or Grandmaster class in any of the divisions. So are the STI/SVI's. However the STI/SVI are going to make the trip a little easier then the Glock.

Price wise the difference is not as big as some people think if both guns are built the same way. You can, in most area's, price up an used STI/SVI for around $1200-1600. By the time you build up a Glock to the same high standards you will probably be over a $1000 easy. However with the Glock it will be tough to get your money back out of it, and the STI/SVI will hold its value very well.