Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aggressive stipple.

Dewberry

I'm looking to stipple the back strap of my m&p that I use in competition. I just peeled some grip tape off it. The grip tape I used was some 2 inch wide tape that we put on the steps of ladders at work. It the most aggressive tape I could find. I have some pretty tough hands to the more aggressive the better for me.

All of the grip minus the back strap is covered by the tape, I just can't get they tape to conform to the blackstrap. So I decided to stipple it. The problem is the few stippled guns I have held are not quite aggressive enough for me.

So my question for y'all is what the best way to get the most aggressive stipple job possible? Can I make some kinda special tip or use a special technique? I'm not to worried about looks, just function.

Thanks and Gig'em

Dewberry

I did a good friend of mines M&P with a wood burning kit I purchased at Lowes. It had a variety of tips and I was able to get a super aggressive texture on it. If you have soft hands undoubtedly to aggressive, I'll try getting some pictures posted of the kit and how the grip turned out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Thanks for the helpful responses, I have just a few questions for y'all

I used a soldering iron on my xdm 5.25

Soldering irons have different size tips too for your preference on how aggressive you want it to be.

Do smaller or larger give you a more agressive texture?

I would think larger equals rougher until you hit a certain point

I did a good friend of mines M&P with a wood burning kit I purchased at Lowes. It had a variety of tips and I was able to get a super aggressive texture on it. If you have soft hands undoubtedly to aggressive, I'll try getting some pictures posted of the kit and how the grip turned out.Sent from my DROID RAZR

What kinda tip did you use?

If you get a chance to take pictures would you take a picture of the tip you used.

I just mixed some black 2-part epoxy, applied a thin "skim coat" over the areas I wanted textured and sprinkled Black oxide sand blast media on it. Shake off the excess after drying and lightly file it for desired roughness.

This process works very well on rounded and flat surfaces.

I just mixed some black 2-part epoxy, applied a thin "skim coat" over the areas I wanted textured and sprinkled Black oxide sand blast media on it. Shake off the excess after drying and lightly file it for desired roughness.

Good idea, i like it

It isn't the prettiest, but man does it grab the hand.

I'll try and get the head of the burner tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Not the prettiest, true. However, pretty don't help your control much. Grip does.

Edited by pushpullpete

I'm really interested by this. It's a good idea.

I think I'm going to try and stipple it tomorrow and if it doesn't work of if its not grippy enough I will probably sand it smooth and do this.

Thanks for sharing the great idea

Where do you find the Black Oxide sand? Does it come in different size grit or just one.

I have a Zev lower the used Black Oxide on and I really do like it.

Thanks

:roflol:

I found the products at Harbor Freight and at local welding supply companies. It is available in different sizes and if you want the "Bling" effect it was in multiple colors as well.

Well yesterday I grabbed one of the back straps I don't use and tried some different patterns. I found that the more messy the pattern looked the more aggressive the texture was. After placing with it for a while I had a pattern down that I liked, unfortunately it looked like something that had just been fed through a wood chipper. Lol so today I'm going to steal some sand blasting media from my dad sand blaster and give that a try. Based on looking at it earlier I think it's pretty fine media but I think it should provide plenty of traction. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer "messy" to a certain pattern as well. I got a cheap wood burning kit from the craft store and dug in. I first used a tip like this one.

20130709_180238.jpg

It was good, but I wanted a little more aggressiveness. I decided to put this tip on and use the pointed end.

20130709_180019.jpg

It ended up like this...

20130709_175727.jpg

Edited by madmike283

Mad mike, that stippling looks awesome and very grippy. I might have to buy another back strap and try that.

I ended up mixing up some 2 part epoxy and spreading it on my back strap and sprinkling blasting sand all over it a couple times. The sand is higher grit than the tape on the rest of the grip but it is still very high traction. I haven't live fired it yet but I Did some dry fire practice with it and I'm loving it so far.

Thanks for the help guys