Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MatchMaster T2 w/ light recoil master 9x19 advice & opinions

mike g35

After two years of shooting a Glock in open I decided to buy a 2011. Since I'm used to a 4.25" gun I bought a STI Matchmaster in 9x19 with the T2 comp. It has STI's light recoilmaster installed. Planning on shooting 9mm major in it starting with my old Glock 17 load (124gr CMJ / 7.1gr Win. Autocomp) but I was gonna stretch it out to 1.17 since I now have mags that will accommodate the longer round. And yes, I realize the majority of you would've said buy custom (not enough funds) or get a Trubor (I have a G34 open, nice but I've found I shoot shorter guns better) but after all my research I couldn't find a gun out there that I thought was a better fit for me than the MM.

My question is, does this sound like a good way to start? I already know the Glock and the 2011 are different animals. I just wanted to ask and see if "breaking the gun in" with major loads is the way I should go. Also I bought a complete 170mm STI 9mm mag along with 2 140mm STI 9/38 tubes, Dawson +1 pads, Grams 11 coil spring and follower kits, and SC Hardy 9mm spacers. Do my mags seem ok? I'm pretty much a 2011 noob (other than what my buddy has been telling me and using the search function here i wouldn't know anything) so any other ideas and/or advice is more than welcome.

Edited by mike g35

While I'm asking questions, does anyone know of a good instructional video that'll show me how to break this baby down? After working on Glocks and M&P's as much as I have I found the more I know about the inner workings of the gun the more I like it.

I made the 2011 plunge about 2 months ago with a Trubor, and I used 9 Major to break it in, with no issues. It was too tight to run any minor loads for the first few hundred rounds. Your load and your mag combos are similar to mine, and everything runs perfectly. I use the Grams 13 coil springs in the big mag though. My load is 6.9 grains AC making 173 pf, albeit I have a little more barrel than you do.

The only change I made to the gun was the optic mount. I was having occasional stovepipes hanging up under the vertical mount, so I took the easy route and swapped to a Brazos horizontal.

Only problem I have now is the gun is a much better shooter than the guy driving it.

I made the 2011 plunge about 2 months ago with a Trubor, and I used 9 Major to break it in, with no issues. It was too tight to run any minor loads for the first few hundred rounds. Your load and your mag combos are similar to mine, and everything runs perfectly. I use the Grams 13 coil springs in the big mag though. My load is 6.9 grains AC making 173 pf, albeit I have a little more barrel than you do.

The only change I made to the gun was the optic mount. I was having occasional stovepipes hanging up under the vertical mount, so I took the easy route and swapped to a Brazos horizontal.

Only problem I have now is the gun is a much better shooter than the guy driving it.

I have the same driver problem!!! ;) LOL

I loaded up some 124gr MG CMJ's at 1.17 using WAC. 6.8,-7.1 (50 of each). I'm gonna run those and see how it feels and what the PF is. I'm also ordering the grams guts and Dawson +1 Basepad (not the SNL) for the one big stick I have. I'm planning on using some Flitz and a polishing cloth and polishing the tubes on all my mags internally and externally.

Get out and see how you like shooting the gun before you start changing everything up. What you like might not be what everyone else likes.

I personally hate the recoil master but you may like it.

I shot glocks for the longest time and the only thing I had issues with when I switched over to a 2011 was the safety. I couldn't remember to disengage the safety to save my life.

Also for me it seems with the t2 comp my gun seems to really like hs6 with 115 around 173-175 PF it's a bit dirty but it sure does run well

Well tomorrow morning I'm gonna go test. Got my mags built, gun is cleaned and lubed, and my rig got here today. I'll report back and let y'all know what I think. Tomorrows test loads are:

124gr MG CMJ

OAL 1.170

6.8 & 7.1gr WAC (two different loads to chrono)

Federal Primers

Starline brass (new)

I'm hoping to get similar results with these two loads I get in my Glocks. We'll see, but if I had to guess I'd say I'm about .1-.2 light.

Edited by mike g35

Well I just got back from the range and I'm EXTREMELY impressed. I ran the loads listed above plus a hotter 7.2gr load. 7.2gr of AC at 1.170OAL, with a 124gr CMJ (Montana gold) made 170 PF (75 degrees) and the gun ran GREAT with it. Not one issue. The dot doesn't even leave my CMore, just goes up about half way through the lens and then right back to center.

I did have an issue with my two new 140mm mags. The very last round doesn't want to feed. Any ideas? Here's what they consist of again:

SC Hardy Spacers

DP +1 pads

Grams 11 coil spring and follower kits

140mm STI tubes

I think it's the spacers. They are loose in the mag, is that normal?

Ya spacers are loose. If its locking back with one round you need to modify the follower on the left side where it catches the slide stop. Most open shooters set the gun up where it dosent lock back at all

The loose spacers isn't an issue at all. Some glue them in so they don't rattle I leave mine loose so I can clean the mag with nothing getting caught beside them

Edited by EkuJustice

Ya spacers are loose. If its locking back with one round you need to modify the follower on the left side where it catches the slide stop. Most open shooters set the gun up where it dosent lock back at all

The loose spacers isn't an issue at all. Some glue them in so they don't rattle I leave mine loose so I can clean the mag with nothing getting caught beside them

Any way I could get you to post a pic of where to mod the followers? How do you modify them?

Just FYI - when we started running major in the Mrs matchmaster it seemed great, but after a couple hundred rounds starting getting a lot of fail to extract problems. Rounds were basically identical to yours 7.1-7.3 grains autocomp 124gr MG CMJ, small rifle primers, 1.17 OAL. I changed the recoil master out for a FLGR and 8 lb spring, put an aftec in it and switched to an offset mount - problems all went away. I'm no where near enough of a pistol guru to know which combinations would have done it, or if this will be common to other matchmasters.

-424D57

Ussually if your getting a failure to extract ya just need to add some tension to the extractor or use an aftec lol

I did the same things you did 424, not a single issue in many matches now. I was always smoking the mount with brass getting brass caught between slide and mount.

Good luck mike let us know how ya do

Edited by kosh79

Well........today was educational or "interesting" if you will. I had alot of failures. Brass was hitting my mount, my mags were still acting up, and I had some other issues as well. You can't bet I'm getting an Aftec extractor. I also need to get some 13 coil spring and follower kits from Grams. Since I'm using 11 coil now and I just read a second ago you need to use 13 coil in 170's and 140's with +1 or +2 extensions. I am using Dawson +1's (duh).

I'm also considering getting a Cheely 90 degree mount but I have a question. Will it fit the screw pattern that my STI mount has? The last thing I wanna do is have to drill and tap my frame.

Other than the failures that I talked about I'm pretty happy with the gun. I just gotta learn all this 2011 "stuff" as I go and sooner or later I'll get her running at 100%.

The mount will fit the hole pattern; I think everyone uses the C-more +2 pattern as standard. You will likely need to heat the screws to get them out, as they use red loctite from the factory. I used a soldering iron to heat mine. The Allen heads stripped out on 3 of the screws so I had to use EZ outs on them. You may also need to cut the new screws to clear the slide inside the frame. Mine were about 3 threads too long. Not a difficult job but took some patience.

We went with a cheely setback. Don't know if it was a valid concern or not but we worried about blasting gunk all over the cmore without the setback. Pattern was fine, but my stock screws were too short - ordered some longer ones and cut them to fit.

I also used 13 coil in the 170s per Gram's recommendation if memory serves. Hang on to your 11 coil guts though - you'll want them for your 140mm mags at some point.

-424D57

We went with a cheely setback. Don't know if it was a valid concern or not but we worried about blasting gunk all over the cmore without the setback. Pattern was fine, but my stock screws were too short - ordered some longer ones and cut them to fit.

I also used 13 coil in the 170s per Gram's recommendation if memory serves. Hang on to your 11 coil guts though - you'll want them for your 140mm mags at some point.

-424D57

I'm still shaky on whether or not I want to go with a 90 degree mount. I know they sit lower and provide more clearance for brass but I have never seen a top shooter use one. Any idea why?

For mag springs go 13 coil for the 170 and 11 coil for the 140. The cheely mount used the same pattern as the one you have. He has the 90 degree mount as well as an offset vertical mount which is vertical but offset to the left some to avoid it hitting the mount.

Edited by EkuJustice

Don't concern yourself with what top shooters are using for equipment. Their guns are normally some pretty expensive custom pieces. Concern yourself with what you are using. If you are having clearance issues you will need to do one of two things tune your ejector and get the good tension set on your current extractor(or an aftec) or you can get the 90 degree mount. Bottom line is the gun isn't going to tune itself. I happen to like the sideways mount others don't. There are advantages to both types, and disadvantages. If you can find someone local to try their sideways go for it see if that's a route you'll want to go. It all comes down to your preference not top shooters.

Edited by kosh79

• 1 month later...

Just FYI - when we started running major in the Mrs matchmaster it seemed great, but after a couple hundred rounds starting getting a lot of fail to extract problems. Rounds were basically identical to yours 7.1-7.3 grains autocomp 124gr MG CMJ, small rifle primers, 1.17 OAL. I changed the recoil master out for a FLGR and 8 lb spring, put an aftec in it and switched to an offset mount - problems all went away. I'm no where near enough of a pistol guru to know which combinations would have done it, or if this will be common to other matchmasters.

-424D57

Hey 424,

I just bought a STI MM myself and am thinking of replacing the recoil master as well, I am having a lot of issues trying to run factory ammo in it. Which full length guide rod did you use, I'm thinking of getting a dawson precision tooless guiderod and running wolff springs with it. I'd certainly appreciate any feedback!!!

-424D57

Hey 424,

I just bought a STI MM myself and am thinking of replacing the recoil master as well, I am having a lot of issues trying to run factory ammo in it. Which full length guide rod did you use, I'm thinking of getting a dawson precision tooless guiderod and running wolff springs with it. I'd certainly appreciate any feedback!!!

I went with a standard 5" Dawson Stainless FLGR and IMSI spring. Don't have any experience with wolff springs or reason to prefer ISMI thats just what I got my hands on first. The tooless guide rod was intriguing, but at the end of the day it seemed like extra expense for something that at best saves me a few seconds of time per week, and at worst is something else to break. As with the wolff springs I don't have any experience with the tooless to suggest it would have problems, just personally didn't see the point in spending more money to add complexity to the system.

-424D57

Edit:

Forgot to add-- we didn't have any problems running factory ammo in the matchmaster out of the box, so I can't say how relevant our experiences with the MM running 9 major will be. What kinds of problems are you having with factory rounds?

Edited by 424D57

I actually got rid of the recoilmaster myself. I installed a one piece STI guiderod, Dawson aluminum shock buff, STI reverse plug and I'm running a 9# ISMI recoil spring. Runs like a top using the same 9mm major load I listed above.