Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 Loads Exceeding VV Specs

Yelrdog

The VV website (Lapua) shows a maximum load for 124 gr. 9mm at 4.0 grains N320. I loaded workup loads ranging from 3.4 to 4.0 gr (124 gr FMJ, OAL 1.100) and chronographed them using my cheapo Chrony F1.

The 4.0 gr loads (max) came out about 971 fps (w/ small SD). This is about a 120 PF. I figured I would just workup some more using up to about 4.4 grains before I started having second thoughts about blowing past the VV max recommendations.

I used my Sig P229 (my Production shooter) as the test weapon, each of the loads was hand measured, and my chronograph is not the best.

Anyone out there loading more than 4.0 gr N320 for a 124 gr FMJ in 9mm?

Montana Gold bullets? If so they will require a little more powder than most other brands. I run 4.2gr w/ 124gr MG JHP. You might also have a slow barrel. My CZ Shadow chronos 30fps slower than my STI Trojan.

They also list loads up to 4.3 grains for a different 124gn FMJ bullet. I would probably bump the load up 1/10 grain at a time watching for pressure signs while testing over the chrono and see what happens, but that's just me.

Mike

I load MG 124 FMJ's with 4.3gns of N320, i have never seen an overpressure issue.

During the winter months I have to push that up to close to 4.4 in order to maintain the same PF ( 130-132 ).

Shooting out of a CZ SP01.

ETA: I forgot the OAL.....i load out to 1.150. I've tested OAL's from 1.130 out to 1.165, and the 1.150 is consistently most accurate.

Edited by CZinSC

124gr Montana Gold JHP with 4.3 gr N320 AOL 1.135 with FC Brass and WSPP or CCI SPP. PF 131.4 I had to adjust up from 4.2 gr when I opened up a new jug.

If you reduce your AOL downward your charge wt should also decrease. I reduced my AOL to 1.130 (by mistake) and my PF went up to 135. VV website recommends 1.142 AOL. I would not suggest working up any load by reducing the AOL. The charge wt verses AOL are not inversely proportional and your gun may explode in your face. As always, use my recipe at your own risk.

Edited by Red Ryder

Thanks Red. My OAL @ 1.1 was a mistake. I left my old setting in place and didn't change it to the VV specs. Still, my PF was way low. I'll workup the next batches using the 1.142 that VV recommends.

If you are using your P229 with a 3.9" barrel you will get lower fps. most manufactures use 6" test barrels for testing. The shorter barrel will give you 20-30fps less.

A lot of 9mm test loads are done with a 4" proofing barrel, my Lyman manual lists 4" barrel and universal receiver for testing all the 9mm loads in there.

AOL of 1.142 may not work for your gun. For example a CZ shadow usually requires a shorter AOL. Some guns take a longer AOL 1.169. Every Gun is different.

AOL = America On Line

OAL = Over All Length

Just sayin!

Mike

AOL of 1.142 may not work for your gun. For example a CZ shadow usually requires a shorter AOL. Some guns take a longer AOL 1.169. Every Gun is different.

AOL = America On Line

OAL = Over All Length

Just sayin!

Mike

Thank you for the correction. I have been slipping lately, mentally and physically! My brain is full of basically useless data! If it doesn't fix something, save me money, or help earn money for the bills, it's useless. :mellow:

Edited by Red Ryder