Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 powder spillage

oufree,

The powder spillage on my 650 was driving me nuts. I clipped the detent ball spring one-half coil but did not see much improvement. I tried the suggestion quoted below and it works great. I hold the bullet with my left thumb and index finger and apply pressure on the shell plate with my left middle finger.

2. When the shell plate indexes you get some powder flipped out when the plate comes to a stop. Everyone has a cure for this but the only one that has worked consistently for me is to rest the index finger of my left hand lightly on the plate as it turns. This lets you feel the movement of the plate and put exactly the right pressure on it to prevent the jerk. After a while this becomes second nature and you can do it very fast.

I found it here.

XL 650 Powder Spill Link

Rick

i have cut more than a half coil off my detent spring.

when my shellplate indexes, it comes to a slow stop,

nothing snapy like the orginal. After i cliped the

1/2 coil i then would clip a small amount and replace the

shellplate with the tool head off, and watch the shell plate come

to a stop. if it was still snaping i would clip a little more. The whold

process took about 30 mins. and no more problem with powder spilling.

You guys ROCK!!! Thanks for all the suggestions and I will put them all to use. The powder is going all over the place when the machine indexes. I thought at first it was because i was using a cylinder powder but switching to ball powder made no difference. I'm also hoping that this is a "break-in" period and once the machine has cranked out a few thousand rounds it will be smoother.

Thanks again

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the post

Don't forget that you can also place the bullet on the case as it's lowering from the previous station... instead of waiting for it to index, spill powder, THEN place the bullet as you lift the shellplate to seat it. Combined with cutting 1.5 coils off the factory detent spring to really smooth the movement so that the bullet won't fall off, this should get rid of ALL your spilled powder. ;)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I recently converted to .223 on my XL650 and had a problem with powder spilling. After careful inspection I found it was not coming from the charged case as the shellplate advanced. It was coming out of the powder die. I dis-assembled the powder measure from the die and found that the powder funnel had a coating of oil from the factory that had trapped a layer of powder to it. This in turn made a rough surface to grip more powder at each charge of the case. The little bit of jiggling that would occur as the press indexes is enough to dislodge the powder that is trapped up there and it would fall out. I cleaned the powder funnel with solvent, dried it and all is well now.

Also, as I found out.... :rolleyes:

make sure when you pull the lever down for the powder, hold it down at the bottom and count ....1001, 1002 a good two seconds....

Remember we are dumping way more powder in the rifle case than in the pistol case. Also try to be uniform in doing it and "rap" the handle at the bottom so you get the same powder dump each time.

Hopefully these things will help. The sad fact.......lol....is that we have to slow down when loading rifle ammo on these presses compared to pistol ammo...

Hope this helps,

DougC