Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So which 1911 mag should I go with?

JoseyWalesX

With my Trojan and the Dawson No-Gap, I ran CMC Shooting Star magazines. My first set (blued) was about six years old when I replaced them with another set of Shooting Stars (stainless). I got a bad batch with the replacements--of the 8 I ordered, four of them failed at the welds (one of them let go in my mag pouch).

I hasten to emphasize--I ran CMCs for SIX YEARS of matches, so they make a good magazine. When I contacted CMC to complain about the failures, they were very gracious and offered to exchange them and paid for the shipping both ways. I wound up upgrading to the Power Mag instead, so I could install a Dawson basepad onto them.

When I got my Predator Tactical Iron Shrike, it came with Wilson 47D magazines, and I've used those as my primary magazines since. I do carry the Power Mags, but they're in stations 3-5 on my belt.

Tripp without a doubt but don't use their base pads. If you decide to use their 10 round mags beware of slamming them in hard as the weight of 10 rounds of 45acp is enough to spread the lips. You can buy Tripp mags at Brownell's now at a reasonable price if you get the discount and the nice thing about Brownell's is their no questions asked return policy.

I use mostly CMC Power Mags, but the Wilson's I have work great and have a solid follower which is nice.

But if you like to easily clean your mags, the CMC Power Mags with the solid base are easiest to do on the range. One reason why I use them most.

• 2 weeks later...

After realizing how much of a difference the Dawson magwell makes I have to make this same change.

If I want to be cheap, I'll use one of my mags at the beginning of the stage. This saves me the number of mags I have to buy. I can use the mag but it takes extra effort to seat it because the base is slightly wider than the magwell likes. After playing with it I've decided I DON'T want to use this magazine in the middle of the stage.

I'm probably going with the CMC shooting star magazines but I SHOULD honestly go with the power mags and, over time, replace all of my magazines with power mags. The shooting starts haven't given me many problems but I HAVE had them fail to lock the slide back for one reason or another. I can't say that about my Smith & Wesson factory magazines or the PowerMag I've used. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the strength of the springs in the power mag. I thought it was a gimmick until I had both in my hand and load them.

I run 7 of the Wilson ETM's with the Dawson basepads and the Dawson no-Gap Ice Magwell. Love it, will use this same setup when I biuld my custom Caspian this Winter.

Are you using the frame with the built-in magwell? I've had issues with the magwell not allowing some mags to seat.