Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's Plated Bullet Question

johnhhuber

I have loaded a few hundred rounds of 9mm using Berry's plated 115 gr bullets with Titegroup 4.1gr powder. When I test shot these at 10 yards everything was great. I recently shot a dot drill at 3 yards with them and after I was done, my target looked like I shot birdshot at it. I think the plating is coming off when I shoot. The lead is holding together though as I had solid bullet holes. How do I fix this? I am new to reloading so any advice would be great. Thanks!

I loaded Berry's bullets exclusively for the last two years. I load 124gr RN with 4.1 Titegroup

You may be over crimping your bullets. This is often the cause of what you describe. Try a little less crimp. Hope that helps.

I agree with dapribek.The bullet is tumbling. how much crimp are you using on the bullet? What type of reloader are you using? what type of dies?

I am using a square deal B with the factory dies it comes with. I will try less crimp. I have not seen any signs of the bullet tumbling though as all the holes no matter the distance are circular.

Sorry! I misread you initial post. I don't think the bullets are tumbling, but I still think the crimp is too tight. What is your OAL? could the pressure be causing the plating to come off. I've never had any of my Berry's do that.

Just enough crimp to prevent setback. With 9mm the cartridge needs VERY minimal crimp. Berrys are known for this. Too much crimp or push them too fast and they shed plating. Minimal crimp and moderate velocities and you should be good to go.

Try crimping no more then .005". I crimp just enough to remove the flare that the powder die puts on the the case. I have reloaded over 100k of Berry's bullets and never had a problem with plating coming off.

Just curious, what gun & barrel are you firing the reloads through??

I've tried berrys up to 1475fps ... no shredding and no plating breakup that i can see...

From people I know who have used these bullets, there seems to be some with issues,and some without. You will not usually see this from their experiences if you crimp minimally and not try and push them hard. I am wondering though what do you think is the key to your success with these bullets.

I'm running an STI barrel similar to this.

http://1911store.com/browseproducts/STI-Trubor-Barrel-Comp---With-T2-Comp.html

i've tested 3n37, true blue, hs-6, longshot, and autocomp.

i think the key here is crimping. and maybe because i lube my cases prior to loading...just maybe...plus my bullet does not have the bottle shape. it just looks like a regular 9mm bullet...

i have yet to try small pistol primers on this... i use small rifle and small rifle magnum primers...

i am using a 9mm major Matt McLearn open gun...i load the same way for my montana gold bullets... almost close to same FPS with berrys...

• 3 weeks later...

So would it just be flaking the plating off behind where it has been overcrimped? I used to run almost exclusively plated bullets and don't think I ever experianced this.