Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixed brass with moonclips

JLB-US

Greetings,

Never played with moon-clipped revolver before, looks interesting, but I've got tons of 45 ACP and 38/357 mixed brass.

Is this going to cause problems with either the 38 or 45 acp loads?. If I'm going to have to go through and sort everything to get reliability, then doubt it really worth it to me to go that direction.

Thanks!

In spite of the fact that I have mixed brass aplenty in .38/.357 and .45 I bought a couple thousand pieces of new brass just for the competition revolvers. I almost never lose any and it lasts a long time (as in I haven't worn any out as of yet). I know lots of people that use the mixed stuff though, especially in .45, and they are pretty happy with it. I guess it boils down to deciding how OCD you really are.

-ld

Again it will depend upon the brand and thickness of the moon clip you order. TK Custom has moon clip just for Starline. A guide to go by on thickness would be .020 for Winchester, .022 to .025 for Federal, Remington and Starline. Starline will fit better with the .025 and probably to loose with the .022.

With three five-gallon buckets full, should be no problem to sort and find the headstamps that will properly fit!

I've found .45 ACP to be much more forgiving, but still there are some headstamps that don't fit (too tight.)

On the 38 357, Winchester to tight, Starlne to loose. Most of the others are ok. This is for the generic moonclips. Hearthco will make Brand name sensetive if you wish. Like if you want to shoot only Winchester or only Starline, or if you want the others and they hold the brass solid. More mud to look through. Later rdd

Bonus points to whoever can name the fine gent in the OP's avatar. :sight: The best wheelgunner & lawman most have never heard of. :bow: I'm betting a bunch here know - at least Bubber does, right Bubber?

Tom

The only brass i'd take note to be concerned with would be Starline and Winchester.

I have .022 and .025 clips, The .025 clips are too thick for winchester, and the .022 clips are to small for starline.

every other headstamp though I have no issues with....

I keep my expensive .025 heathco clips for when I need to do rapid reloads, and I use my cheapy .022 clips for events that dont require a reload like steel challenge, and practice.

Edited by alecmc

Yeah most of it is Star line, Winchester and Federal, but a lot with odd markings I've never seen. Good point that I would not be losing brass on the range, so I could sort then keep it segregated pretty easy.

Yep it's Jelly. Always thought if he had a meaner sounding nickname he would have had about 5 movies made about his life ;)