Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at a SV 2011 w/Springfield Slide

tomthumb

I need some advice/help on this 2011 for a possible purchase. Here is what I know about the pistol;

SV Frame

Springfield Slide

Nowlin Barrel

1 ea. magazine

It was built by a local gun smith/armorer it has been passed around the local stores the last couple of years. Meaning Ive seen it in two different gun dealers on three separate occasions. The first one sold it, it resurfaced a year or so later at the second one. The second one sold it and its now landed back at the first one.

It seems to functions. I ask the store if it cycles and preforms properly and was told yes. Should I trust it given it keeps returning to the stores? What kind of value would you put on it? At the right price would it be a good purchase even if you had to send it to a reputable 2011 gun smith?

Thanks,

Tom

post-42344-0-19263400-1370462576_thumb.jpost-42344-0-02993300-1370462596_thumb.j

Well, the parts are solid.

Not sure how much you trust the gun shop staff, but I'd be suspicious with all you know about the gun.

Anyway to test fire? Maybe chamber a dummy round/snapcap to see if it will do that at a minimum?

Yea, I don't trust them. I ran a few snap caps through it and did the pencil shooting trick. It seems to function well. It is tight with a decent trigger pull.

They told me today if I purchase it I can return it less the background check fee.

If anyone wants to throw some good numbers out there on what its worth I would appreciate it. Being a mutt pistol its hard for me to judge a good price based on any research.

Thanks,

Tom

Do you know what internals it has. Or any clue on how many rounds thru it. Is there a chance you could talk to the builder since he is local to find out more info on it

Edited by mike3232

Well, I went and looked at it again. The original gun smith is not available. It looks a little rough. While it’s tight the builder didn’t do a really nice finish job on the grip and some of the fitting of the internals. Nothing that a few hours of polishing could rectify.

Would 800.00 be a fair price?

Tom

Well, I went and looked at it again. The original gun smith is not available. It looks a little rough. While it’s tight the builder didn’t do a really nice finish job on the grip and some of the fitting of the internals. Nothing that a few hours of polishing could rectify.

Would 800.00 be a fair price?

Tom

What caliber ?

The only competition guns I've ever seen on the shelf at a gun store are ancient and from an estate. Does the store own it, or is it on consignment? Either way, if they've got a $899 price tag on it, the previous owner probably got/will get no more than $500 for it.

If you're like me and see project guns like orphaned puppies and want to do all the work yourself, I would offer $400 and call it a day.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Pictures of the pistol seem nice. See if the shop will let you remove the slide. See if the barrel is marking even in the hood of the slide. Should mark where it locks up on the breach face and how the link rides the slide stop. Rifling still sharp?

Pistol assembled push down on the chamber should be tight very little to no play is the bushing tight? No movement of the barrel in the bushing. Hammer doesn't follow? Look at the breach face for erosion that will give you an idea of how much it's been shot.

If every thing checks out you should have a good buy on a custom built pistol. While I enjoy IPSC and IDPA not every pistol purchase is for competition. If it's a bushing barrel gun should be very competitive in IDPA CDP class or Limited 10 in IPSC. New Eagle from STI close to how this pistol is built is $2,000 and won't have a mag well.

Saw you were from TN and I am also just wondered where the pistol was located?

Bob,

All the things you mention check out. There just something a miss here with this pistol because it keeps showing up in the shops. Its in Mt Juliet now and was in Murfreesboro earlier.

I was thinking of using it for IDPA CDP and retiring my Kimber. I just don't have the money right now to throw at it if it doesn't pan out. While they have offered a return if it doesn't function properly, I am still reluctant.

Tom

Bob,

All the things you mention check out. There just something a miss here with this pistol because it keeps showing up in the shops. Its in Mt Juliet now and was in Murfreesboro earlier.

I was thinking of using it for IDPA CDP and retiring my Kimber. I just don't have the money right now to throw at it if it doesn't pan out. While they have offered a return if it doesn't function properly, I am still reluctant.

Tom

If those little hairs on the back of your neck are standing up, that probably means something. Just saying....

You can't know unless you commit, but it's never fun buying someone else's problem.

Very seldom do you see a return policy. I have an STI Eagle bull barrel pistol that I've really enjoyed. Wish it was a bushing barreled gun so I could shoot it in IDPA. Have used it a few times in Limited 10.

Good club there in Dixon get a chance drop down to MSSA some time check us out at Memphis-SSA for schedules.

Unless there's something unseen it's a good buy. Most gun aren't shot in competition for those who don't reload 45acp is a little pricy to shoot. I've seen several of my old guns in varied shops over the years. Some people just love the thrill of the hunt and turn guns quite a bit.