Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers Falling out?

I have been a Dillon user for over 25 years. Started with a 550 and then 3 650's and now I have a 1050.

Before the 1050 on the 650's and the 550, I used the Super Swager for my Mil brass. Lately I have been having primers fall out of my rounds both in the ziplock bass and in the magazines. Have a primer fall out as I was shooting, Powder all over the inside of the chamber. I was PISSED.

I am confident that this is NOT a 1050 auto swager issue as it happened with the Super Swager too.

Any help on fixing this problem would be great.

These are 5.56 Lake City Brass Crimped military brass. First reload with Winchester Small Rifle primers. Standard and even close to subsonic loads so not throwing the heat here.

These are not Blowing the primers out, they are falling out as a result of recoil from the round being fired while they are still in the magazine or chambering. Other in the freakin ziplock baggie

Edited by Woodys556

Either the swage is opening up the hole too much, the primers are too small, or the brass is sub-standard... Has to be one of those three..

What primers are you using ?

Winchester Small Rifle

At first I thought that My dirty primer pockets were causing the swager to be opening up the pocket too much by a factor of the dirt and residue left in the pocket.

I am decaping and the SS wet media tumbling so my primer pockets are like factory clean. Still happening

sounds like a issue with the primer pockets

if it was a swager issue the pockets would be the same size for all.

The only brass I have had issue with the primers not seating tightly has been

federal .308 (american eagle)

If you still have a XL650 I would use it instead , that way you can feel the lack of

pressure needed to seat the primer and remove the case from the press

thats what works for me.

Mic the swager rod end.

#2 make sure you are not applying to much swage pressure and over expanding the pocket.

LC brass has a great pocket and lasts, all I use is WSR and never had one out of spec.

I would think its Press related.

Edited by SD1

Mic the swager rod end.

#2 make sure you are not applying to much swage pressure and over expanding the pocket.

LC brass has a great pocket and lasts, all I use is WSR and never had one out of spec.

I would think its Press related.

I will put some calipers to the super swager. As mentioned above I don't think it is press related.

I have been a Dillon user for over 25 years. Started with a 550 and then 3 650's and now I have a 1050.

Before the 1050 on the 650's and the 550, I used the Super Swager for my Mil brass. Lately I have been having primers fall out of my rounds both in the ziplock bass and in the magazines. Have a primer fall out as I was shooting, Powder all over the inside of the chamber. I was PISSED.

I am confident that this is NOT a 1050 auto swager issue as it happened with the Super Swager too.

If it's happening with both it can ONLY be one of 2 things, overly aggressive swaging setting on both the 1050 and the super swage OR bad brass...

Edited by Boxerglocker

If it's happening with both it can ONLY be one of 2 things, overly aggressive swaging setting on both the 1050 and the super swage OR bad brass...

+1. I have never had this issue with 20K+ LC brass

I can see how the aggressive super swager could be an issue, but the swagger on the 1050 is set by the factory. I have not touched it. And I am wondering how it could be "Over Aggressive."

I can see how the aggressive super swager could be an issue, but the swagger on the 1050 is set by the factory. I have not touched it. And I am wondering how it could be "Over Aggressive."

Maybe the swagger lock nut came loose and the rod is out of adjustment. All adjustments are to be made using unswaged military cases

Refer to page 12 of the 1050 manual on swagger adjustment.

I am suspecting the NEW Winchester WSR primers. I have been reading that they are softer and thus leads me to think more easily deformed on insertion. I have some Wolf primers on the way to test. Maybe a conjunction of the aggressive swaging and soft primer cups.

The factory setting for the swage station on a 1050, is just a starting point, so is the primer depth.

I initially had issues with my 1050 with primer swage and depth when I first tried it out with the factory settings. High primers were common the first couple hundred rounds. I had to make both adjustments to accommodate my use of mixed brass. WSR primers which in general are soft, I could see the possibility of having issues such as what you are having. I would back the swage rod off a quarter turn, check you primer seating depth and see in the fit improves.

Years ago, I made a batch of reloads that had loose primer pockets. It was due to a mis adjusted Super Swage. So I decided to fix this problem, I bought one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413473/lee-auto-prime-xr-hand-priming-tool After swaging a couple of pieces of brass, I throw some primers in the hand priming unit and prime a couple pieces of brass and you will know right away if your over swaging. Works for me.

Years ago, I made a batch of reloads that had loose primer pockets. It was due to a mis adjusted Super Swage. So I decided to fix this problem, I bought one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413473/lee-auto-prime-xr-hand-priming-tool After swaging a couple of pieces of brass, I throw some primers in the hand priming unit and prime a couple pieces of brass and you will know right away if your over swaging. Works for me.

I actually figure out this method myself. Good advice to pass along.

UpDate:

I did some checking. I have some NEW never loaded factory Federal Match grade brass. Calipered the primer pockets on a bunch and they ALL war .1735" in diameter.

I measured the Win. WSR Primers. They measured .1740" Checked some CCI 400 and 450 primers. they measured .1745". Measured SOME of my older once fired brass that I used the Suer Swager on and the measured from .1745 to .1760"

BINGO!!!!

Check the auto swagger in the 1050and it is swaging at .1735" well within specs. I am gonna get some WOLF Small rifle primers for standard loads and see what they measure out to be. I think I found my problem.

Might want to re-measure WSR are angled.

1.740 at base and 1.75-.76 at the anvil

either way they should be staying in the pockets. The ones I have are the (so I hear) Older brass cup models. so I guess they are softer and deforming just a little, enough to fall out.

UpDate:

I did some checking. I have some NEW never loaded factory Federal Match grade brass. Calipered the primer pockets on a bunch and they ALL war .1735" in diameter.

I measured the Win. WSR Primers. They measured .1740" Checked some CCI 400 and 450 primers. they measured .1745". Measured SOME of my older once fired brass that I used the Suer Swager on and the measured from .1745 to .1760"

BINGO!!!!

Check the auto swagger in the 1050and it is swaging at .1735" well within specs. I am gonna get some WOLF Small rifle primers for standard loads and see what they measure out to be. I think I found my problem.

Might want to re-measure WSR are angled.

1.740 at base and 1.75-.76 at the anvil

either way they should be staying in the pockets. The ones I have are the (so I hear) Older brass cup models. so I guess they are softer and deforming just a little, enough to fall out.

You've confused me.

A: New brass is .1735

B: Primers are .1740+

C: Some of your swaged brass is .1745-.1760

Conclusion: primers are defroming and falling out?

Seems to me that if the primers are deforming at all it's because they are being pressed into the pimer pocket which i would think make them get wider, not narrower?

From what you've said I would think some of your older brass has been over swaged such that some of the primer pockets may even be > .1760 which you have already measured in some.

Have you measured the pockets of any brass where you have had primiers fall out? What was that measurement?

If you want to keep using the batch of brass that might have some oversized primer pockets mixed in it I agree you need to find larger dia primers but even then you might still have oversized pockets that would cause you problems. Otherwise you can as a one time exercise measure 100% of the brass and just toss anything oversized. The only other option I can think of is start with fresh brass.

Edited by Rob Tompkins