Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38SC 140mm Mag Question - Capacity

40S&W

Using Dawson tuned 140 mm 38SC mags with the following.

STI Mag

ISMI 11 coil spring

Dawson +1 basepad

Dawson 38 Super Competition follower

Getting 21 rounds.

If I changed to Grams Guts would I get anymore rounds with reliable feeding?

I'd be surprised if you didn't get another round with the grams guts. However, the only issue with getting more than 21 rounds in an STI tube is that the ribs don't go down far enough on one side of the tube. You can get a round stuck side by side on the follower at the bottom of the mag. No such issue with the 140mm SV tube.

Spend your money on a big stick if you need more capacity. I get 24 in my 140's with a Dawson +2 pad, the only reason I have them on a 140 is because the are not legal on a 170. The standard 140 sti mag with the little plastic flat base pad and sti follower holds 21, so what did the +1 SNL do for you?

I can get 31 in one of my SVI big sticks if I cram it in there, then barney up one, and slam it home like hoss cartwright stomping on a bed bug, but every time I do that I miss a piece of steel and wind up reloading anyway, I need one that holds 33.

The Dawson +1 didn't do anything for me, same round count as a standard STI basepad. That's why the question. I have Grams guts in my Limited 10 & 9mm mags, no capacity issues. I have 170mm 29+1 Superior mag for 9mm & a STI mag 30+1 for 38SC. Both the 170mm mags have Grams guts. Guess I will try Grams guts, and see if I can reliably pick up one or two rounds.

Thanks for your comments.

I don't even know... something like 24-25, but I simply treat them as 20 round mags, if I need anything bigger I get the 170. I like Grams 11mm pads with Bolen guts.

I like to keep it simple. Use a 140 mag with 20 rounds. Grams spring and follower, Dawson + 1 base pad. I started with grams base pads but I think the Dawson is easier to remove for cleaning. For any stage that requires more than 15 rounds I use a big stick. That way I never worry about round count or a 140 mag that yaks due to more than 20 rounds stuffed in it. I have ffriends that use only big sticks and there's an argument for that too.

Untuned sti mag body with hardy spacer grams spring and follower and snl base pad for 23 reload able. My big stick is untuned with grams guts and Dawson non snl for 28 I can reload to. It would do 29 with a snl but the non snl gives me more wiggle room in the gauge

If it's for Open, just use bigger basepads. I run Dawson +3's or Grams 11mm's on my 140's and get an easily reloadable 24 (25 really but I stick to 24 to go easy on the springs). Arredondo +3's should give the same result, and Bolen/Taran 7mm pads should as well (or close).