Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good vs. Evil rifle match

This match is for those who live close enough to Pueblo, Colorado :) It's for fun only and I think the match fee is less than 20 bucks, Tom Freeman should be able to give you better info:

"Pueblo West Sportsman Association

Pueblo West, Colorado

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Set-Up begins at 6:30am

Sign-Up at 9:30am

PP3Gun will host a practical rifle match scoring competitors in the following Divisions: Open (.223 caliber and greater)

Modified (.223 caliber and greater, one optic allowed, no bipods)

Limited (.223 caliber and greater, iron sights only, no bipod)

AK/SKS (5.45x39mm and greater, iron sights only, no bipod)

A special feature of the aforementioned match will be the opportunity for Limited class shooters to run each course for score with both an AR style rifle and an AK/SKS style rifle. Advocates for each system have argued for years over the relative superiority of the GOOD vs. EVIL guns. PP3Gun will compile scores in the AK vs. AR Challenge in such a manner to allow comparisons showing not only who shot the best, but which rifle system bested the day.

Don’t Miss Your Chance to Make HISTORY!"

I have the flyer in Word document, email me if you want a copy. Unless someone here can post it for me.

As I wondered about the match I noticed a few things.

While shooting AK's, some shooters were chanting in foreign tongue.

While shooting AR's, some shooters were swearing at their jammed gun.

The weak shoulder shooting at 45 yards showed who practices it and who had never tried it.

I think the match was a draw. The AR's shot faster and easier, the AK's didn’t jam. Move the targets out past 200 yards and I think the AR will win hands down.

Next Oct we will do it again. Only difference is I will have a new ACL and I will be shooting.

It's weird how many malfunctions I see at 3-Gun matches. I don't really understand it, because getting an AR to run 100% isn't really rocket science ... or is it? I've yet to have a problem with any of my rifles, but I see matches won (or rather lost) because someone's AR wouldn't run properly.

Tom, I don't believe the farthest flashers on Stage 2 were less than 250 yds, and no, I couldn't hit those pesky flashers with open sighted guns :angry: But hey..both of my weapons ran flawlessly, even the shorty AR with surplus IMI!

Rhino, you're absolutely correct, there is no magic in making the AR runs.

It's weird how many malfunctions I see at 3-Gun matches. I don't really understand it, because getting an AR to run 100% isn't really rocket science ... or is it? I've yet to have a problem with any of my rifles, but I see matches won (or rather lost) because someone's AR wouldn't run properly.

The biggest problem I see with ARs is people using substandard ammunition. Is that cheap wolf or surplus ammunition really worth it when your rifle locks up on you? I don't think so. Every single 3 gun match I have gone to I have seen this problem. Find one brand of ammunition that runs with your rifle 100% and stick with it. All I've been shooting for the past year is Federal XM193 and my rifles run great.

The other problem with ARs running reliably is the introduction of "match grade" components with tighter tolerances. If a component increases performance, but makes the entire system less reliable....then it really isn't increasing performance, it's hindering it.

Let me add that the AK I was shooting went single-shot on me in the first stage (3 houses). My AR ran perfectly the whole match. Using a super-large-aperture rear sight does not help practical accuracy. I scored better on the standards with the AK.

Zak, the AK problem was caused by a "foreign component" added to the op. sys. - A super thick buffer. We removed it and it ran afterward w/o problem.

I read a lot of people praising Wolf 5.56x45mm ammo online, but in person I've seen ARs choke and sputter with that crap when they run perfectly with better ammunition. I think the Wolf is false economy.

I think the Wolf is okay in the commie guns, though ... they were born to eat that stuff! ;)