Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 GUN AR WEIGHT

Magnesium lower, ACE UL stock, Carbon Feather handguard, XP buffer spring, empty buffer, JP low mass carrier, 10.5" pencil barrel with pinned 5.5" FH turned down on lathe.

Magnesium lower, ACE UL stock, Carbon Feather handguard, XP buffer spring, empty buffer, JP low mass carrier, 10.5" pencil barrel with pinned 5.5" FH turned down on lathe.

What's the gas system?

What's the gas system?

Carbine gas length.

YOU CHEATER!!!! A 10.5 pencil barrel with a 5.5" flash hider ? So much cheating! That being said, i'd love to have that build as an sbr.

Or as a pistol with a SIG pistol support cuff. Working on one in .300 BO.

We are doing 22LR rifles with 17" barrels and C'more's that get you down under 3.5 lbs.....great for Ruger Rimfire

HOWEVER......I do have an AR15 that I use for winter coyote hunting: 18" JP ultra LW barrel, JP LMOS, Cav Arms lower, Weaver 3x scope that comes in at 5 lbs flat.....not cheating, it's a full length rifle and shoots great!!

Match rifle comes in at just under 7 pounds with a prismatic. (CTR-02)

Main thing is balance and recoil control.....if you have that, weight is not an issue. I've seen heavy rifles that have a nasty wobble shooting offhand and light rifles that clock and go way off target after each shot.

YOU CHEATER!!!! A 10.5 pencil barrel with a 5.5" flash hider ? So much cheating! That being said, i'd love to have that build as an sbr.

Or as a pistol with a SIG pistol support cuff. Working on one in .300 BO.

Wow now that is a pdw i can get behind. ......get it ? get behind ?! ha!! anyhow , that sig support looks straight out of a scifi movie. Robocop style. Have you messed with the support ? I know mako or one of those cheapo companies makes a little pistol buffer side saddle thing for your cheek. Will the .300 have a can as well?

Any idea what you gained weight wise with the short barrel and thinned-extended flash hider over say a 14.5", 15" or even 16" barrel with a regular flash hider? Seems like for even a few ounces more weight (if any) I would go with the longer barrel.

This is going to sound stupid but I recently built a backup gun and it is heavier than my primary but not nearly as good of a rifle, interestingly with just a EO Tec on the backup and shooting 200 yards in a match I did better with the heavier gun, I expected it to be faster on the short courses due to the red dot versus the tube scope 1x4. But on the long shots I figured #1 would kick ass. The tube scope gun finished better in the match but only due to an ammo issue in one stage with the backup gun, the tube scope produced better hits in the short course and fewer penalties. The heavier gun allowed me to shoot faster since there was almost no movement, it has a BH RT comp, another of its heavy pieces.

So basically the question is what are the advantages of the lighter gun? Does 8 or 12 oz make a lot of difference?

Does not sound stupid at all. 8 or 12 ounces, depending on where it is can make a lot of difference. I know a few people who like the extra mass of the billet receivers...mass between the hands.

A lighter gun swings (and stops) faster. To be honest, and this is not a criticism at all, unless your rifle scores are at or above about 60%, a heavier rifle will probably result in better scores even in a hoser style match. Weight between the hands, as opposed to out front, will benefit anyone. The lighter the rifle, the harder it is to settle in for precision shots. The lighter the rifle, the faster you can swing arcs of say 10 degrees and more, pause it and move on.

All bets are off if the rifle is not properly set-up and tuned for the weight and the loads you are shooting. That is a combination of technique, weight, buffer spring rate, buffer mass, BCG mass, gas system dynamics and load variation.

Does not sound stupid at all. 8 or 12 ounces, depending on where it is can make a lot of difference. I know a few people who like the extra mass of the billet receivers...mass between the hands.

A lighter gun swings (and stops) faster. To be honest, and this is not a criticism at all, unless your rifle scores are at or above about 60%, a heavier rifle will probably result in better scores even in a hoser style match. Weight between the hands, as opposed to out front, will benefit anyone. The lighter the rifle, the harder it is to settle in for precision shots. The lighter the rifle, the faster you can swing arcs of say 10 degrees and more, pause it and move on.

All bets are off if the rifle is not properly set-up and tuned for the weight and the loads you are shooting. That is a combination of technique, weight, buffer spring rate, buffer mass, BCG mass, gas system dynamics and load variation.

Thanks Mark, I'm going to play some more with the heavy gun in Limited. Ammo is a bit funky right now since I have gotten a few batches of 500 bullets of different mfg, style, and weight, plus ran out of TAC, and had to pick what they had BenchMark, so I'm holding my good tuned loads for major events, and running the others with a best guess load. I'm down to 50gr Zombies for close up, and holding the 69gr SMK's for the long shots. The heavy part of the heavy is the 20" fluted bull barrel, so yep it is a bit out front. Ordered an 18 they are out, said they had 16, when I get it after waiting 4 months it is a 20, go figure.

• 2 months later...

How is the balance and recoil of that rifle? i am wanting to build up a rifle for the mrs and this sounds like a build she would be able to hold up for an extended amount of time.