Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Silhouette

Cowboy1629

Just received my 8 lbs of Silhouette today from MidSouth. I hope I see the same results I did from the 50 rounds I loaded from the pound I had. I was shooting a Montana Gold 124gr JHP from my Cheely 9Major open gun at 1392 fps with 7.9 grains of Silhouette and a SRP at a standard deviation of less than 6! The dot hardly moved within the lense and felt better in the hand than the AutoComp I have been using. I've read a lot about it being reverse temperature sensitive so I will be keeping an eye out for that.

I would like to hear from the rest of you using Silhouette in 9Major, what's your thoughts?

Great powder for 9mm Open very soft and does not require 10+ grains to make major.. only thing i hate is that it leaves that yellow grain residue..i switched to autocomp but silhouette is my very close 2nd.

I use the same load with Silhouette for my Limcat and Akai open guns. 8.0 gr Sil, 124 gr MG JHP, Win SRP at 1.165 OAL. The PF is 172 and 171 respecively with a SD under 8. My dot movement is straight up and down well within the lens. I also use Silhouette for my minor SC loads and 9 mm AR loads with excellent results. I have read that Silhouette is reverse temperature sensitive but I have not found this in my case. I have chronoed all of my Silhouette loads in 40 degree and 95 degree weather and there is very little change.

Great powder for 9mm Open very soft and does not require 10+ grains to make major.. only thing i hate is that it leaves that yellow grain residue..i switched to autocomp but silhouette is my very close 2nd.

What is that stuff? I tried Sil in place of N340 in my .40 open gun and found that it worked well. I used about 1.5-ish grain more than the Vit. Since I saw the residue, I thought that may be due to unburnt powder. In any case, the cost savings per round was not all that great. At least, that was true a few years ago.

Later,

Chuck

I use it in .40 under 180grain major loads and 155grain for my compensated loads. Absolutely love the powder. It is REVERSE temp sensitive though. Testing in 40 degrees and then testing in 70 degrees, I lost around 30-35 FPS. Waiting until I can test it in a nice hot 90 degree day to see what happens then. It's super soft though,

Yes Silhouette is reverse temp sensative. It is also a bit dirty. I've been using it for 3 years, tried about everything else and find it suits my fancy best. My normal load is 7.7gr with SPP. I ran both rifle and SPM but find that I prefer the SPP feel better. I also use the Montana Gold 124gr JHP, in a recent outing with my 1000 yard bench rest friend he shot a 1/2" group at 25 yards 5 shots one ragged hole. YMMV. When temps go down to freezing I drop my load down to 7.4gr. The 7.7gr has passed major match crono at 110 degrees, and at normal hot temps comes in a 172pf. That same load at 2010 Gator first shooter on a cold morning 28 I think hit 189pf, officially, but I have doubts about their equipment, however the gun was a hand full during the morning and as it warmed up tamed down.

I don't see this as a problem, the problem would be not knowing your powder.

Runners up in order of preference HS6, AutoComp, AA#7, 3N37, IMR7625, and N350. Still on the list to try 3N38.