Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skeet/Trap Equipment

jaffo

I'm starting a skeet/trap league with my son. I've never shot formal skeet/trap in my life. This is a good place for us to start because it is a handicap league.

Question is, other a gun, ammo, and ear/eye protection, what do I need as far as equipment? Shell holder for belt?

Obviously this question reveals that I'm a complete newbie as far as clays go.

Thanks in advance.

j

Skeet and trap leagues are huge fun. I wish there was an evening skeet league somewere close by where I live now.

A divided pouch shell holder like this: http://www.gamaliel.com/boballenbags/bob-allen-divided-pouch-wbelt-leatherette.asp would be good and can be had for less than 20 bucks. Or you can get a vest for about 50 bucks. The divided pouches work great and are all that is needed, but the vests can be good if you want a little extra shoulder protection since they normally have some padding built in.

A baseball cap or brimed hat of some type is also good to keep the target pieces and sun off your face is good, too.

Other than that go off and enjoy!

Edited by Bamboo

The best way would be to get some lessons before starting. Bad habits are tough to get rid of. You'll enjoy the sport much more if you get the basics first. You can see what other people are using and ask questions. Great way to learn. Also, the other people in the league will appreciate that you at least know the basics. It makes for a more enjoyable day for everyone.

Hello: If you are shooting an auto for trap you will need a shell catcher. Those trap guys get testy when you throw hulls at them. I would also suggest a Shooters Connection inner bag to carry your shells, chokes, ear plugs, glasses and paperwork. I would suggest you go to a match and ask the guys what stuff they like to use. The sky is the limit on the leather shell holders etc. I use a Remington shell bag and belt combo. It cost $20 shipped. It works great and I don't have to worry if it gets wet. If you want some high end stuff Lonesome Charlie make leather goods. Briley make great chokes, I use a Improved modified for trap and a skeet for skeet. Other than that have fun. I am shooting with my 10 and 14 year old and having a blast. Thanks, Eric

As mentioned, a pouch or vest will be needed to hold the shells. Baseball cap is a good idea.

If you are shooting an O/U, and keeping your empty hulls the vest is easier, and distributes the weight of a box of shells better than a belt and pouch...but no big deal.

Small side note: If you are using ear "muffs" for your son; check to see that when he mounts the gun, the stock doesn't hit or break the "seal" of the muff.

That would defeat the purpose of ear protection.

Other than that, have fun.

I would go plugs over muffs as they can get in the way of a stock mount. A cheap walmart pouch for shells gets the job done. I would just let them know your new at the club and there is usually people at the clubs that can walk new shooters through stuff and get them going in the right direction as far as foot position, gun mount and how to lead the target as well as you hold points. That will get you started in the right direction before you start shelling out money for instructors especially the high dollar ones as you will not get your moneys worth starting out. The formal private lessons which can get costly will do you more good once you have at least a little experience under your belt.

Hello: I forgot to add if your son is young I would use swimming moldable plugs. They work great for young kids when normal foam plugs won't fit in the ears. They also come in bright colours so you can see that they are still in. Most are silicone based and can be found in most food stores or drug stores. Thanks, Eric

Plugs not muffs for hearing protection.

I like glasses with purple lenses but that is me - you may find orange or rose work better.

I like a pouch that hold a box of shells :

12144241Bm.jpg

They make them with a pouch to hold empties too if you are inclined to pick them up. So many people these days are shooting Fed or Win value packs from Walmart that are not usually reloaded so most people just leave them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...