Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need help finding compatible plain black rear sight for my 686

shootist26

I have a new 686 4" with a Dawson Precision tritium front sight which is .230" tall. Currently, I have the S&W factory rear sight and I have to bottom out the elevation in order to get it on paper at 25yds. Even with the rear sight bottomed out, I still need to use a 6-o-clock hold to hit, which I personally do not like. Seems like the Dawson front sight is a bit shorter than the factory front sight.

My issue is finding a plain black rear sight that would work well with this front sight. I'm not a huge fan of the factory rears and especially not a fan of the rear outlines.

Does anybody know if the Cylinder-Slide extreme duty fixed rear sight would work with my front sight? Or what other brands are out there with the necessary adjustment or proper sight height?

If you are shooting high at 25 yds you will need a .300 Front Sight, or a shorter rear sight. I think S&W even sells them, the problem is the notch gets so small it's hard to get a good sight picture. One option is to take a file to the existing rear sight and start whittling it down.

Try calling Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide, he makes a fixed rear sight for S&W Revolvers and that might give you a chance to get sighted in and still have a decent sight picture.

Edited by pskys2

You can get a taller/shorted S&W blade for your factort sight. I run a black marker over the white outline, & all is good.

I currently use LPA target black rear sight on my revolvers with a Protocl Design FO front sight. Excellent setup & solid. The Weigand blade is similar when first installed, but comes loose over time & requires replacing. LPA is a complete sight replacemnt.

Problem seems to be he needs a shorter rear blade and the smallest S&W has a pretty short notch. And any adjustable sights need some room for the screws. The Weigand will have the same problem, side note I always thought the looseness of the Weigand was a problem, I don't now as long as it's free it will return to the lowest point. I tried tightening mine up and then it did cause issues.

Factory S&W rear blade notch widths @ 3.0-3.5mm, depth @1.5-2.0mm. Notch can be deepened or widened if required.

LPA blade notch width @ 3.0mm, depth @ 2.0mm. Notch can NOT be deepened, but can be widened if required.

I have a S&W 617 with factory rear sight. This is the shortest factory sight available. It measures 9.5mm high when bottomed out to the frame. The factory front sight on this revolver is @ 4.0-4.5mm high. This shoots POA/POI for me at 25m. The rear sight has @ 1.0mm of adjustment down still available.

The LPA sight measures 10.5mm high when bottomed out to the frame.

I have a S&W factory sight that measures 10.5 high when bottomed out to the frame. There is a taller S&W factory sight available that I hazard a guess at 11.5mm high? Brownells has a catalogue with the sizes available listed.

.230" is @ 6.0-6.5mm on my ruler.