Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this gaming?

Jeremiah

By setting up a shoot-through you are very clearly using a technique that is outside the design intent of the stage to gain competitive advantage.  I just don't buy the 'legitimate tactic' nonsense.  Find me a trainier (anyone, anywhere) who would advocate such a move and I'll concede the point.

Technically, when engaging multiple targets you want to line them up. That way you can engage them one at a time. The last thing you want to be is surrounded. If that first target where not paper, it would not have been there after two shots to the "upper scoring zone" freeing you to engage the target you setup behind it.

just a thought ...

Not that this has anything to do with the "gaming or not/shoot-through" question, but I've always felt, when facing multiple opponents armed with guns, if you could maneuver yourself so you could engage one target at a time - i.e. use the bod(y/ies) of the other hostiles to block them from shooting you while you're firing up BG #1 (then #2, etc.) that was a very good thing.

We do not allow people to 'set up' shoot-throughs at our club. It clearly violates the 'spirit of the stage'.  While we don't typically give out FTDR's to new shooters, we will tell them that what they did is not kosher and explain why.  Experienced shooters would be courting FTDR's.

By setting up a shoot-through you are very clearly using a technique that is outside the design intent of the stage to gain competitive advantage.  I just don't buy the 'legitimate tactic' nonsense.  Find me a trainier (anyone, anywhere) who would advocate such a move and I'll concede the point.

- Gabe

You always want to line them up so you only have to deal with one at a time. Good tactics whether you are dealing unarmed against multiple attackers or armed against multiple attackers. The first historical reference of which I am aware would be the Spartans v. Persians at Thermopylae.

Yes, it's gaming... is it effective gaming is teh question, you could surely transition faster than you could have moved, could you see them all before you moved?

no penalties since you fired 4.... if you had fired 2 thats another story

good "real life tactic" yes, but this is a game lets not even mention real life here..... for the sake of the children

good "real life tactic" yes, but this is a game lets not even mention real life here.....

[007 voiceover - James Bond Collection (the box set) playing in background]

"the spirit" my dear Moneypenny ... let's not forget the spirit.

[/007 voiceover - James Bond Collection (the box set) playing in background]

Well, looks like Shorty, Aiki, and Duane see where I'm coming from with respect to "tactics". In machine gunnery this is called "enfilade fire"--shooting along the long axis of your enemy's formation. But how about this approach:

Suppose an IDPA stage is set up in which no-shoots are set up behind one or more targets, requiring the shooter to move in order to engage without getting a shoot-through no-shoot penalty.

Is this "keeping with the spirit of the game? Surely it emphasizes the "always be sure of your target and what is behind" rule, and concerns with overpenitration in a self-defense shooting situation. I would think it was a plausible scenario, and a good test.

If that scenario is in keeping with the spirit of IDPA, (and it is within the rules of IDPA, for sure), then why not the "twofer" situation introduced at the beginning of this thread, especially when addressed by firing enough shots for every target to get two?

DD

Well, looks like Shorty, Aiki, and Duane see where I'm coming from with respect to "tactics". In machine gunnery this is called "enfilade fire"--shooting along the long axis of your enemy's formation. But how about this approach:

Suppose an IDPA stage is set up in which no-shoots are set up behind one or more targets, requiring the shooter to move in order to engage without getting a shoot-through no-shoot penalty.

Is this "keeping with the spirit of the game? Surely it emphasizes the "always be sure of your target and what is behind" rule, and concerns with overpenitration in a self-defense shooting situation. I would think it was a plausible scenario, and a good test.

If that scenario is in keeping with the spirit of IDPA, (and it is within the rules of IDPA, for sure), then why not the "twofer" situation introduced at the beginning of this thread, especially when addressed by firing enough shots for every target to get two?

DD

That kind of thinking outside the box is definitely against the "spirit of the game." ;)

-ld

Technically, when engaging multiple targets you want to line them up.  That way you can engage them one at a time.  The last thing you want to be is surrounded

And as SR should know, this is also accepted technique in one-on-several-opponent scenarios in all the martial arts I know where projectile weapons are not a factor.

• 3 weeks later...

Since you didn't give much information about the course description and its exact wording, I'm going to assume, based on your information, that it was Limited Vickers, you had to start with 6 rounds in the gun, perform a slide lock reload (you mentioned a forced reload), and had to neutralize 3 paper and one steel target by firing a maximum of 7 rounds.

Did it say that you had to engage each "y" target with 2 rounds each, or did it say neutralize each target with a maximum of 7 rounds?

Did you have to fire all 7 rounds? In other words, was 7 rounds also the minimum?

The rulebook says that Limited Vickers should only be used to score Standard Exercises courses and is not suitable for Scenario stages (LGB page 24, 28). Your course sounded like a scenario stage.

What did you use for cover while shooting and doing the reload? Sounds like you were exposed to several threat targets while firing. It also sounded like you would have had to advance on the 3rd paper target in order to get a good view of it. Defensive course design should have the shooter retreating or moving laterally during the COF.

What was the PE penalty for? Was it a "mini" FTDR?

I don't know if this has been addressed in IDPA, but this incident has presented a problem unique to IDPA. Since all pass throughs count, they are scored as good hits on threat targets. Logically you would think that Limited Vickers is supposed to limit the number of hits, but the rulebook says that the number of shots are limited. As we see in this incident it is possible to have the required number of shots fired and also exceed the number of scored hits. In this case, there were 9 scored hits. IPSC penalizes this in Virginia Count , but IDPA doesn't seem to have a mechanism for penalizing extra hits in Limited Vickers in general, only extra hits that are the result of extra shots.

• 2 weeks later...

No penalty. The only reason you got one was you outsmarted the stage designer. The Match director should have looked over the stages prior to the match. If they sis not want any shoot throughs, it is there responsability to make sure they don't exist.

Will you get penalties for this in the future? Sure, because there are too many SOs that think they should be able to read new meaning into the rule book.

Next time, just ask the SO. I have set up stages where you could do this. I intended for the shooter to be able to do it. If IDPA states shoot throughs count, how can you give a penalty for it? That just doesn't makes any sense. The shooter doesn't know what the Stage designer was thinking any more than the SO knows what the shooter is thinking. If you don't want a shoot through to count, you need to state it in the course description.

Daryl

This thread looks like it made a U-turn. The first half kinda think that it was gaming, and it deserved the penalty, but then the last half kinda thought that it was a good idea and good thinking.

I think this thread sums up two of the biggest problems in IDPA, interpretation and opinion.

I shot my second match this past weekend. I had a ball. Heck, I even won the overall. I'm happy, eventhough there was only ten guys there. I'll be back to shoot it again next month.

Well, I've read this entire thread and I don't agree with everyone's posts. For those of you I don't agree with, I am charging each of you with one FTDR for each post that I disagree with!

For the rest of you, with whom I did not disagree, carry on!

Jeremiah, as to your original question.....I'm not really sure. So I'm waiting for an official ruling from HQ. :lol: