Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The openmindedness of this forum

Nik Habicht

Recent shouting matches in threads higher up ---- once again remind me what makes this place such a haven.  When folks get testy in a thread here, they don't stay testy.  They figure out that continuing the argument won't get any of us anywhere and gradually a civil tone returns.  Most of the time older members step in and diplomatically defuse the situation or when needed set someone on the straight and narrow path using a somewhat harsher tone ---- but generally not harsher than necessary.  While certain threads may annoy us --- I'm not sure they are totally without value.  I find this place such a cool place to hang out in large part because there are so many different thoughts, ideas and opinions thrown around.  With headstrong, competitive members it's only natural that the debate can get heated at times.  While I understand the call for a format change to "Competition Related Only" I think the old rules have served us well for almost two years now ----- and under the new we would have been deprived of valuable threads by EricW and 3QT.  We've dealt with adversity before ---- do we not have the energy to tackle the occasional boondoggle?  I hope we can continue on this journey......

This Website is not only unique in many ways but typifies the concept of 'self-governing' very well. What I've seen (and learned!) here since joining in September is a credit to nearly every member and moderator (not to mention the Host BEing) who exercises the privilege of posting here.

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game..."                                 --Neal Stephenson, CRYPTONOMICON, p. 302

I think most--if not all--of us have proven that we're capable of deflecting, detouring and destroying any interlopers' attempts at muddying our pond of social and intellectual pursuit on this Forum. The word "bait" was aptly used in a previous thread... We simply cannot take the bait, lower/demean ourselves to the level of the baiter and allow ourselves to be caught up too deeply in the intentional s**t-disturbing efforts of some reliably few loonies who wander the planet making a career out of looking for trouble. Now, I think it's perfectly OK to beat the crap out of 'em and run 'em off (we have a right to self-defense), but--at the same time--I've seen a sophisticated, self-policing dignity on this Forum that is a MODEL for something bigger; and we should be proud of how we've handled the few interlopers already.  

The BRIAN'S FORUM castle is safe so far. It will be up to all of us to preserve and protect it.

|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|

Sig Lady,

I like the crenellated defenses of your post!  Nice Neal Stephenson quote too.

It is very nice to know that there is ONE place you can go on the internet without having to deal with too many trolls.

-jhgtyre