Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smallest exit diameter . . .

"glock34shooter" - Full? You're more trusting than I. The tightest I'll go for slug is IM, but wanted to hear opinions. Thank you.

"CJW" - Really? Did you notice differences at 40 & inside? 50 is pretty much "out there." Thank you.

-jb

I have only tried up through IM in my 1100 CM and interestingly (and luckily) all shot pretty much to the same POA. I run Remington reduced recoil slugs but this past weekend I shot a few full snort Federal slugs just for grins. They were pretty accurate, out of five four cut a ragged diagonal line with a fifth flyer a couple-three inches away. Plenty accurate for 3-Gun or deer use. The strange thing was each shot unscrewed the choke tube (IC) a little. I was using an extended tube hand tightened only.

I have only tried up through IM in my 1100 CM and interestingly (and luckily) all shot pretty much to the same POA. I run Remington reduced recoil slugs but this past weekend I shot a few full snort Federal slugs just for grins. They were pretty accurate, out of five four cut a ragged diagonal line with a fifth flyer a couple-three inches away. Plenty accurate for 3-Gun or deer use. The strange thing was each shot unscrewed the choke tube (IC) a little. I was using an extended tube hand tightened only.

IM is about my limit too. I'm waiting on some new chokes from Trulock & I'll let you know how it turns out.

"CJW" - Really? Did you notice differences at 40 & inside? 50 is pretty much "out there." Thank you.

I was on a zeroing range, so inside 50yds was not an option. Realistically, though, if rounds from two different chokes start at the same place and end at the same place 50yds away, I am not sure how much deviation there could be in the middle.

I generally run Light Mod for most everything, but I've run across slug stages that had the extremes of in-your-face clays and fairly distant little 4" SOB knockdown steel, so I wanted to see how the slugs ran with different chokes. I started with gun zeroed for LM at 50yds and from a bench basically noticed no difference with Skeet or Light Full. Three slugs from each choke basically landed in one handprint at that distance.

Your mileage may vary. :D

No problem---I skipped the 00 part of your question because I have, in all seriousness, fired exactly 8 rounds of buckshot in several years of 3-gun competition (and they were all at Rockcastle last month). I think I test fired my Fiocchi low-recoil 00 Buck at 25 yards and at that distance I was able to get all 9 pellets on paper with any of my chokes. There was some spread, of course, but when you only need two hits... :D

ETA: Oh, somebody using same gun, same load managed to put a fairly good 00 shot on a slug target (accidentally!) at 35--40 yards with LM, so that seemed to hold together pretty well. If it was the Federal FliteControl, heck, I would expect the buck to shoot pretty much like a slug out that far.

Edited by CJW

I have a Remmy 11-87 with Rem Choke, primarily as a social shotgun. With the Patternmaster choke (which really increases the effective range of OO Buck), I have been able to shoot Brenneke 1 oz. slugs into a cloverleaf group at 50-60 yards.

Don't think choke will matter much for slugs in 3 Gun matches.

I have a Remmy 11-87 with Rem Choke, primarily as a social shotgun. With the Patternmaster choke (which really increases the effective range of OO Buck), I have been able to shoot Brenneke 1 oz. slugs into a cloverleaf group at 50-60 yards.

Don't think choke will matter much for slugs in 3 Gun matches.

What's the constriction, or failing that, the equal in another term (ie. IC, Modified, etc) of Rem Choke?

Thanks.

Edited by stinsonbeach

I've run the Fiocchi light recoil and Royal Star slugs thru my gun with no issues with a full choke.

Seems lots of people run slugs thru a Full choke, but - don't know why - I'm afraid to!!!

Edited by stinsonbeach

I've run the Fiocchi light recoil and Royal Star slugs thru my gun with no issues with a full choke.

Seems lots of people run slugs thru a Full choke, but - don't know why - I'm afraid to!!!

Dude, I did the same thing you did--lots of asking around before I did it. You could always pull your choke tube and measure the inner diameter and pull a slug round and measure the diameter and compare numbers. I didn't do that, but it's a way to get some confidence--the math won't lie.

Dude, I did the same thing you did--lots of asking around before I did it. You could always pull your choke tube and measure the inner diameter and pull a slug round and measure the diameter and compare numbers. I didn't do that, but it's a way to get some confidence--the math won't lie.

Ok - so the answer to the question: did you shoot it thru a Full choke, or did you not? ...is?

Ok - so the answer to the question: did you shoot it thru a Full choke, or did you not? ...is?

I did. I asked a bunch of people I trusted whether they'd tried slugs thru a full choke and they said yes, so I went out and did it. It does work.

Ok - I'm convinced, but now I gotta' get a bit more technical: what is the constriction? ...anywhere from .090 to .030.

The reason I ask is I have a turkey/coyote choke .090 out to a Full at .030...& is there any noticeable difference in POI in a Full or IM?

Hate to be a nit-pickin' pain-in-the-a** but I like to know stuff - that & I don't want to ruin a choke &/or barrel.

Thanks.

On my M2 CrioPlus chokes (factory and Briley), Full is .035. For 3-gun, I pretty much stick with Skeet (0.005), Light Mod (0.015), and Light Full (0.030). I have some other sizes that only get used for sporting clays.

On my M2 CrioPlus chokes (factory and Briley), Full is .035. For 3-gun, I pretty much stick with Skeet (0.005), Light Mod (0.015), and Light Full (0.030). I have some other sizes that only get used for sporting clays.

I figure I'd use IM at .025 for my all around choke but I needed input.

Just got some .090 & .060's (TruLock) that I have to pattern...I want to use .090 on coyotes but gotta' check the pattern w/ 4BK so as not to "over-choke".

I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Edited by stinsonbeach

Honestly, I think IM is too much choke for most 3-gun. I think you'll find most guys are running either IC (0.010") or LM (0.015") as their everyday chokes.

Honestly, I think IM is too much choke for most 3-gun. I think you'll find most guys are running either IC (0.010") or LM (0.015") as their everyday chokes.

You are right. IC for 3-gun.

IM for other than 3-gun, for all around choke. My IM is .025.