Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 9mm Loaded Slide Stop Issues...

Magsz

Hey guys,

I seem to have developed a problem.

I have a Springfield 9mm loaded target with 700 rounds through it.

So far i have replaced the following:

11 pound recoil spring

18 pound mainspring

Wilson GI plug

Wilson GI guide rod

Wilson add on magwell

10-8 Flat Trigger

10-8 Magazine release

10-8 Scoop grips

Wilson Recoil Buffers (blue)

Everything else is factory. I gave a detailed list because i figured...you never know what could be causing an issue with these things.

This evening after returning home i noticed that my slide catch was not making its way all the way up into the recess of the slide. This only happens when racking the pistol back manually with a magazine inserted. This has never happened before. I am running Dawson 10 round 9mm magazines.

The pistol is clean and the pistol functioned and locked back during live fire this evening. I am however worried that the slide will eventually peen because it is not taking advantage of its full bearing surface. Does anyone know how i can remedy this issue? Ie get the slide catch to operate in its full range of motion?

Thanks! If anyone needs pictures i can provide those.

Edited by Magsz

If not the recoil buffer: check the magazines. The "10 round" single stack 9mm mags sometimes have a goofy follower or a reduced length spring, may not be pushing the slide stop up with enough force.

If it is a shok-buff problem: just pull the slide back manually and see if the slide stop has enough room to slide up into the slide cut out. They make thinner buffs in case that one is too thick.

Remove the recoil buffer. Some guns don't have enough room for them.

+1

But could be the mags as well

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Quack

I will clean my magazines, they have gotten a little dirty after shooting a match last weekend BUT i have 10 of them and it does it with all 10, including brand new, never used magazines.

It is also doing this without the shock buff and i have been running the buff for 500 rounds with no issues. There is also a TON of room for the buff. In fact, prior to installing the buff and the 11 pound spring, i shot a few hot loads out of the gun and the darned slide locked back so forcefully that the front of the cutout in the slide peened as it hit the slidestop prior to locking. I was actually a little surprised at how much travel there is PAST the slide stop notch.

I posted because of the oddity of the situation, ie how it suddenly just started happening.

Shock buff is the #1 culprit. There are two distinct schools on them: those that won't shoot without them and the other promises malfunctions with them. From my seat, you are shooting minor 9mm loads with an 11# recoil spring. Do you think that this modest combination will smash the pistol to smithereens? If not, what is the real value of introducing a shock buff to the equation?

a friend of mine has had issues with the dawson mags not locking his 9mm Trojan back on the last round. I don't know what # spring he's running but I do know he doesn't run a shock buff. I run the Tripp mags in my STI and a 9 or 10lb spring and have never had an issue the slide locking back on an empty mag.

I have a Springfeild Loaded SS Target 9mm and run Tripp 10 round mags & CMC 9 round mags without a problem. No buffer, evrything is as from factory except trigger job 3 lbs. & VZ grips. It has shot anything that it was fed without a problem. I had one FTE and that was shooter induced. The gun has always locked back on last round from day one. Don't understand why you made all the changes? I've got 11,000+ rounds throught the gun. I am presently running 124 gr. MG CMJ, 4.1gr. TG, Fed SPP, 1.41 OAL. Have run 4,700 of these without a hitch. IMHO put the gun back to the way it came from the factory.

You do not need the buffer with minor ammo. If you must use a buffer, use the dawson aluminium buff. It is thinner. Also ensure that you are replacing or resetting your mag springs, storing them empty or removed helps. I am running a similar setup minus buffer. Mag springs are key in 9mm SS.

Wes,

These are all "new" magazines.

The problem seems to have been related to a large amount of crud impeding the slide stop from moving up appropriately. There is also a HUGE mim seam on this particular slide catch that i very lightly ground off. The slide catch now moves freely in the link with no slop and does not bind like it would previously when inserting it through the barrel link.

I will put another 400 rounds through the gun this weekend and report back.

In response to the other posters...i changed the pistol because i wanted to. Pretty simple...

Wes,

These are all "new" magazines.

The problem seems to have been related to a large amount of crud impeding the slide stop from moving up appropriately. There is also a HUGE mim seam on this particular slide catch that i very lightly ground off. The slide catch now moves freely in the link with no slop and does not bind like it would previously when inserting it through the barrel link.

That sounds like the problem is found.