Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock 24 owner, also my first Glock.

SpaceFlunky

Ive been shooting a M&P9 Pro in USPSA since i started back in Dec of last year. I wanted to move up to Limited Major and after doing some research and handling a few guns i decided on the Glock 24. I found one and purchased it last night. If all goes well, it should arrive early next week at my FFL.

So i was wondering a few things. I am planning on reloading some ammo and was going to be using projectiles from Black Bullets International. https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com/

I have read that shooting lead out of a stock Glock barrel is a no no, so I was wondering if anyone had shot these projectiles out of their factory barrel? I am planning on buying a KKM barrel for it but that will not happen for a little while.

Another thing, the gun only comes with 2 mags. Where is a good supply for some 15 round mags? I need to purchase 2 of them for now.

I am planning on buying Dawson basepads and a Dawson magwell. Do the standard ones fit the 24 just fine or is there any fitting needed?

Anyone else here own a G24? How do ya like it?

Thanks in advance!! Proud to finally be a Glock owner.

Edited by SpaceFlunky

the dawson mag well and extensions fit the 24 just fine without fitting. the mag followers may require beveling that dave dawson has a video online showing that take a couple min a piece. this is needed if your having trouble loading the mags past 17-18 rounds

the dawson mag well and extensions fit the 24 just fine without fitting. the mag followers may require beveling that dave dawson has a video online showing that take a couple min a piece. this is needed if your having trouble loading the mags past 17-18 rounds

Thanks for the heads up! After i sell my M&P9 pro rig i am going to be shopping to complete the G24 rig. Would you suggest any other extensions besides the Dawsons? I used TTI's in my M&P but i am liking the Dawsons because of the price.

I have both a G24 and a G17L and shoot them frequently. I shoot lots of lead so I have aftermarket barrels in both of them.

Neal in AZ

So your saying i should get an after market barrel if i will be shooting lead?

Welcome to the club :) I've been running a G24 since 2010. This is actually my first year to go to STI. But I have a whole lot of game time with the 24.

Mine was a 24c, so the first thing I did was buy a KKM drop in barrel. No regrets there, it wasn't to expensive, didn't require any fitting, it fit tighter than the factory barrel and has been 100% reliable.

The next biggest thing was the trigger. Sorry but that 5.5lb trigger pull is aweful. First I went cheap with a factory minus trigger bar and a wolf reduce power striker spring, and a zev reduced firing pin block spring. Got me down to just under 3lbs, alot shorter reset, all less than $40. And cut my groups in half along with my pulled shots. If you have the money, get a vanek, vogel, or zev trigger. I dropped one in later, got me just over 2lbs, and even shorter pull and reset, with alot less mush.

The sights on a glock aren't bad, but they definatly don't take avantage of the extra long sight radius... Dawson adjustable black out rear, with a fiber front. Sight in at 17 yards.

Magazines were my biggest problem. Come to find out, only the number 6 followers really work well with magazine extension. Even the aftermarket arrendondo's require fitting, plus don't lock your slide back. They are out there, so find them. Gen 3 mags with number 6 followers. You want at least 4. Go with a Dawson ice magwell, or a Zev magwell, and Dawson mag extensions. Arrendondo extensions don't always fit with the magwells, vary's frame to frame. Taylor freelance aren't bad either.

After a year of shooting, I found grip tape wasn't enough, so I send my frame to Glockworx for a carbide job. They rock, no regrets. Expect some wear on your t-shirts near the grip though...

One thing I never changed was the recoil spring... Seriously, I never ever found any need to. Instead I focused on tuning my load.

155gr Montana Gold JHP's, with 5.7gr AA#2 powder. Winchester and federal small pistol primers...

Eventually I sent my slide to Zev to have it milled. It looks great, but doesn't really change the feel of anything.

If I was going to pick again, I'd use the free-Glock cert I got a while back on a Glock 24 - most sight radius plus all the aftermarket parts you can get for any G17/34/22/35. My 2 cents - hang as much weight as you can on the plastic guns for Limited - tungsten rod, Heavy Ice or Heavy SJC magwell, maybe even the 5-oz brass extensions from Taylor Freelance. Get the best trigger you can get. Buy a Captains of Crush #1 and read up on Robert Vogel's grip technique - it helps get the max performance possible out of the Glock esp. rapid recoil recovery and fast trigger manipulation without throwing your aim off. There 100's of posts on lead bullets thru a Glock, personally I had zero problems shooting lead followed by several quick passes (dry barrel) with the Hoppes Tornado brush after every practice session & every match. http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Tornado-Brush-Caliber-Pistols/dp/B000LC6290

Welcome to the club :) I've been running a G24 since 2010. This is actually my first year to go to STI. But I have a whole lot of game time with the 24.

Mine was a 24c, so the first thing I did was buy a KKM drop in barrel. No regrets there, it wasn't to expensive, didn't require any fitting, it fit tighter than the factory barrel and has been 100% reliable.

The next biggest thing was the trigger. Sorry but that 5.5lb trigger pull is aweful. First I went cheap with a factory minus trigger bar and a wolf reduce power striker spring, and a zev reduced firing pin block spring. Got me down to just under 3lbs, alot shorter reset, all less than $40. And cut my groups in half along with my pulled shots. If you have the money, get a vanek, vogel, or zev trigger. I dropped one in later, got me just over 2lbs, and even shorter pull and reset, with alot less mush.

The sights on a glock aren't bad, but they definatly don't take avantage of the extra long sight radius... Dawson adjustable black out rear, with a fiber front. Sight in at 17 yards.

Magazines were my biggest problem. Come to find out, only the number 6 followers really work well with magazine extension. Even the aftermarket arrendondo's require fitting, plus don't lock your slide back. They are out there, so find them. Gen 3 mags with number 6 followers. You want at least 4. Go with a Dawson ice magwell, or a Zev magwell, and Dawson mag extensions. Arrendondo extensions don't always fit with the magwells, vary's frame to frame. Taylor freelance aren't bad either.

After a year of shooting, I found grip tape wasn't enough, so I send my frame to Glockworx for a carbide job. They rock, no regrets. Expect some wear on your t-shirts near the grip though...

One thing I never changed was the recoil spring... Seriously, I never ever found any need to. Instead I focused on tuning my load.

155gr Montana Gold JHP's, with 5.7gr AA#2 powder. Winchester and federal small pistol primers...

Eventually I sent my slide to Zev to have it milled. It looks great, but doesn't really change the feel of anything.

Yea this thing already has a steel guide rod, #20 non captured spring, Comp. Spring Kit and a Zev connector on it. The seller said it was rocking a sub 3lbs pull. I might still upgrade to the fulcrum trigger drop in to be able to adjust the pre/over travel.

I have been really curious to try out the new Taran Tactical sight set, but i still have not made up my mind on what i will use.

I also used his basepads on my MP but damn they are almost $10 more expensive and still have to pay for shipping. I have a place here locally that i can just go pick up the Dawson basepads at.

What did Zev do to the slide? Have any pics?

If I was going to pick again, I'd use the free-Glock cert I got a while back on a Glock 24 - most sight radius plus all the aftermarket parts you can get for any G17/34/22/35. My 2 cents - hang as much weight as you can on the plastic guns for Limited - tungsten rod, Heavy Ice or Heavy SJC magwell, maybe even the 5-oz brass extensions from Taylor Freelance. Get the best trigger you can get. Buy a Captains of Crush #1 and read up on Robert Vogel's grip technique - it helps get the max performance possible out of the Glock esp. rapid recoil recovery and fast trigger manipulation without throwing your aim off. There 100's of posts on lead bullets thru a Glock, personally I had zero problems shooting lead followed by several quick passes (dry barrel) with the Hoppes Tornado brush after every practice session & every match. http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Tornado-Brush-Caliber-Pistols/dp/B000LC6290

Im guessing adding weight to it helps reduce the recoil for a faster 2nd shot? My grip isnt wimpy since ive been playing guitar for 14 years but I might just buy a Capt of Crush to try one out. Vogel is prob. one of the main reasons i started considering a Glock for limited.

I just googled the SJC heavy magwell....im gonna have to save up for that thing!!! Looks awesome tho.

I just put that Hoppes Tornado Brush on my Wish list. I'll purchase that thing later. Thanks for the tip!!

I have both a G24 and a G17L and shoot them frequently. I shoot lots of lead so I have aftermarket barrels in both of them.

Neal in AZ

Personally I think so but I certainly won't dissagree with others on this forum who say different. As always I will say try it out for yourself. Back 20 years ago I was messing with lead in my G20 and my G22 and was not getting very good results. Lead shot well in my G21 but not my .40 cal guns? I eventually got a BarSto for my g20 really to not wear out my 10mm brass but found the cut rifled barrels worked well with lead and now I have them for all my Glocks except my G23.

Neal in AZ

If you want to get some work done all at one time, I would highly recommend Taran Tactical Innovations RTG package. I did this with my Glock 35 and am very happy with the results.

Taran setup Robert Vogel's Glock 24 which he is using to win events now.

Ready to Go Package

I also got 5 TTI +5 Base pads from them.

Glock_35_TTI_1.jpg

Congrats on getting your 24, when Taran emailed me back he said I had a good gun, only thing better would be a 24.

I have since added a Seattle Slug to get the weight, and a Mako Slide Racker, which I love.

Photo+May+02%252C+9+47+29+PM.jpg

Edited by Niceash

Neal in AZ

Personally I think so but I certainly won't dissagree with others on this forum who say different. As always I will say try it out for yourself. Back 20 years ago I was messing with lead in my G20 and my G22 and was not getting very good results. Lead shot well in my G21 but not my .40 cal guns? I eventually got a BarSto for my g20 really to not wear out my 10mm brass but found the cut rifled barrels worked well with lead and now I have them for all my Glocks except my G23.

Neal in AZ

I think a kkm barrel will be on my short list.

If you want to get some work done all at one time, I would highly recommend Taran Tactical Innovations RTG package. I did this with my Glock 35 and am very happy with the results.

Ready to Go Package

Glock_35_TTI_1.jpg

Congrats on getting your 24, when Taran emailed me back he said I had a good gun, only thing better would be a 24.

I have since added a Seattle Slug to get the weight, and a Mako Slide Racker, which I

Where can I buy a Seattle slug?

Ready to Go Package

Glock_35_TTI_1.jpg

I have since added a Seattle Slug to get the weight, and a Mako Slide Racker, which I

Where can I buy a Seattle slug?

google Taylor Freelance. They also make great mag extensions.

I shoot Black Bullet International bullets in my G24 Limited gun. I have the Zev Fulcrum Ultimate trigger kit, Zev extended aluminum mag release, Zev SS guide rod, Dawson sights, Dawson magwell, and Dawson mag extensions. However, I do still use the stock barrel. The BBI poly coated bullets work great in my stock barrel. They leave my barrel looking shiny clean like is was squeegeed. You need to use a relatively cool burning powder though like N320, WSF, etc.. Tight Group is too hot.

Edited by lucky #7

I shoot Black Bullet International bullets in my G24 Limited gun. I have the Zev Fulcrum Ultimate trigger kit, Zev extended aluminum mag release, Zev SS guide rod, Dawson sights, Dawson magwell, and Dawson mag extensions. However, I do still use the stock barrel. The BBI poly coated bullets work great in my stock barrel. They leave my barrel looking shiny clean like is was squeegeed. You need to use a relatively cool burning powder though like N320, WSF, etc.. Tight Group is too hot.

That is great to hear!! I just bought a 8lb jug of WST, so i think i should be good to go there. Do you have any pics of you rig, it sounds delightful.

Do you guys have any suggestions on holsters? I do not know if there is a specific one that helps with the longer barrel on the G24?

I own a G24c. I have a problem with the comp blast coating the white dot on my front sight with carbon and in a few rounds I have no dot to aim with. I am much slower using just a black front sight.

I would like to solve this problem. Love the gun.

Edited by Mirage

Troy at Triple Crown Holsters is the one who did mine and he can also do yours. Mike at Accurate Iron did the slide work on mine. Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll probably hit up Troy the weekend after I get the gun so he can hook me up with a holster. he did my M&P9 one.

I don't want to thread jack, but I have a Storm lake 9mm conversion barrel for my G24c. It groups almost 6" right of where the factory G 24c .40 barrel groups at approximately 25 yards. Anyone else experience anything that drastic with switch barrels?