Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loading small primer .45

UncleD

I have a Dillon xl 650 setup for 9mm. I would like to load some .45acp small primer brass. My question is, do I need to make any adjustments to the primer seating for .45 or will it center with my 9mm setup? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I offered to trade LP brass for SP brass. Appears there are a lot of talkers, few real "haters" !

So, here is the offer again = one .45 LP WW, deprimed, sized, SS pin tumbled and then polished for 2 SP .45s not prepped. Each party pays their own freight.

• 4 months later...

Offer an even trade, and you might get some takers. I actually bought a few k SP brass a while back, thinking it would come in handy if I ran out of / could not get LPP, but I've not been happy with the loads I've done with it so far using standard (CCI, Fiocchi) small pistol primers. With WST, I'm having to go beyond published max to get the velocity I get with not quite max LP loads, and the ES is still way more than I'd like. Maybe I should experiment with some SR Mag primers and see if they do any better...but then I'd be eating into my rifle loading supplies.

I ran chrono tests last Fall using the same load, 5.0 gr Bullseye, with small and large primers, no difference at all. Now I prefer using SP brass, saves me the trouble of having to change out the Dillon primer system between 45 and 40S&W.

Edited by retarmyaviator

I ran chrono tests last Fall using the same load, 5.0 gr Bullseye, with small and large primers, no difference at all. Now I prefer using SP brass, saves me the trouble of having to change out the Dillon primer system between 45 and 40S&W.

That's surprising, as I've done tests with the same load using different brands of LPP (Tula, CCI, Federal), and saw differences there. CCI's were the weakest. What brands of LPP and SPP did you compare?

ETA, by "same load" I mean the same charge weights of WST under the same bullets as each other. i.e. my loads were identical to each other except for primer...but were not necessarily at all similar to yours.

Edited by njl

That's surprising, as I've done tests with the same load using different brands of LPP (Tula, CCI, Federal), and saw differences there. CCI's were the weakest. What brands of LPP and SPP did you compare?

I had the same results, quite a bit slower on the chrono and bigger ES with CCI SPP compared to Tula LPP, loading Clays and cast 200SWC.

Fred

Edited by ffries61

Glad I found this, now I know I'm not crazy. LOL Tried the same loads and bullets in LPP and SPP using CCI 550 magnum primers in the SPP and results were much slower for the SPP than they were for the same load in a case with LP Remington primers.

For those of you without light striker/hammer springs, compare SRPs with LPP and see what you get. I don't notice any velocity change between Tula SRP and Tula LPP. I use the KVB-223 primer but they also have a couple of other SRPs which I've never tried.

9gr of Longshot with a 185gr bullet sounds like an awfully heavy load. Is that within anyone's published data?

I have some LS, but from reading the forums, assumed it was not going to be a good powder for .45acp.

I made the switch from LP to SP in my .45 loads. I use 231/HP38 powder and CCI SR primers. No difference that I could see from Win LPP. I shot 3 majors including the Nationals and shot the same PF I had the year before. Tested the same across my chrono.

The brass guys hate it when they get my brass. I've had a two guys give me back 900 pcs. Life is good.