Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Federal .40 brass have any problems?

MickB

Actually I prefer Federal 9mm brass because it has less taper inside and thinner case walls. My Glock 17L and XDM 5.25 shoot plated bullets better when they measure .357 (Bullet Works 147 gr. Plated RN). Too much case bulge with other brands. The 17L has a LW barrel and the XDM 5.25 is factory.

Here are some pics of Federal 40 brass I have. I never knew about the two dots until this thread. But you can see the newer headstamp with the dots in the pics and how it doesn't have the indentation or counterbore in the bottom of the case. The only problems I have had are with the nickel cases(well besides that GD crimped primer stuff). The other headstamped brass was in the pile that was about to be reloaded.

post-28015-0-06134700-1377394078_thumb.j

post-28015-0-26823000-1377394094_thumb.j

post-28015-0-17947000-1377394109_thumb.j

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the education. Very informative.

I have the FC, NT and the FEDERAL. I will now have to do a resort and scrap all the FC. Was not aware of the problem.

Thanks for the timely post with the pics that are clear and easy to see your point!

I have experienced federal as being thicker in .40 S&W.

When loading a 3-4 hundred frangible bullets in mixed brass, a few bullets broke at the case mouth. All of those were FEDERAL cases.

I surmised that when taper crimping the thicker federal brass put too much pressure on the bullet and cracked it. Thinking about it now I suppose the federals could have been a touch longer and caused the same thing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the education. Very informative.

I have the FC, NT and the FEDERAL. I will now have to do a resort and scrap all the FC. Was not aware of the problem.

Thanks for the timely post with the pics that are clear and easy to see your point!

You don't want the NT either,unless you don't mind fooling with a crimped primer pocket.

Greg

I have asked ATK (Federal) this question because I had a ton of brass marked FC 08, "FC 08 Brass Question - Is it Safe to Reload in .40 S&W?".

Their response: The information you’re getting on the internet is incorrect. .40 brass head stamped FC08 is perfectly safe to shoot and reload.