Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I load 38 super bullets into 9?

Zmego

The barrel information would be very helpful so other shooters that have tested the 38 super in thier 9mm's could chime in with their experiences.

I've shot 38 super through my 5" XD with no problems, and no noticeable difference in accuracy. I think it all depends on the gun. Ideally all 9mm barrel diameters would be the same, but they aren't. Although the 38 super rounds won't hurt your barrel, you may not experience consistent accuracy, especially if your barrel diameter is a little on the smaller side.

Yes, you can use the 38 Super bullets in your 9mm.

In fact, Wil Schuemann recommends a jacketed bullet of .001 to .002 inches larger, and lead bullets .002 to .003 inches larger than the barrel's groove diameter for the best accuracy.

I am not, of course, familiar with every bullet offered in every caliber, but you may find that you have to load the 38 Super bullets to a bit shorter OAL in your 9mm than a similar weight 9mm bullet because of the bullet shape. Thus your loads may need to be adjusted down somewhat. 38 Super bullets are made generally for longer chambers than the 9mm's customarily have, and thus the ogive may be different enough to require the different OAL so as not to hit the rifling. So, like a good carpenter, measure twice and cut once, so to speak.

I have found some 135gr 38 super projectiles (.356) in stock but no 9mm. Won't the .356 work for 9mm or am I missing something?

I have used the Berry's 130gr .38 Super bullets in my XDm and they work just fine. They were at least as accurate as anything else, particularly at the distances we shoot. You'll be fine, just may want to run a few test loads first to double check your amount of powder.

I have shot 38 super bullets through my Springfield 5.25 without issue. In reality nearly all the bullets I have mic'd were at most .0007" larger in diameter than a 9mm. Since I also shoot 38 super this makes bullet buying a little easier. I might suggest starting your loads on the low side and work your way up using a crono.

They'll most likely work, but keep an eye out for pressure signs, especially with jacketed bullets.

I tried some .356 Zero bullets a few years back and got pressure signs even with very moderate loads.