Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Size limit on a no-shoot?

Mark R

(Mark, I might have a thread on this....from years ago, when I had the same thought)

Been reading the rulebook and can't find if there is a limit on the size of a no-shoot.

A no-shoot is an official target. It's size is set in Appendix B, plus...you only buy them from official target vendors.

You could cut one down, but you'd then need to add a scoring border to it. (tape)

4.2 Approved Handgun Targets – Paper

4.1.1 Only targets listed in Appendix B are to be used for USPSA Handgun
matches.
Edited by Flexmoney
edit to quote rules from the right rule book. :)

It sounds like you are going to have it set up where the shooter may shoot from well back of the port? This is an effort to save a buck or two (at ~ $0.50/target)?

If I can, I try to save no shoot targets from one match to the next. Some only have a few holes in them (some aren't so save'bl :) )

If I am picturing your stage right, I'd probably look at this from stage design. Instead of a "port", I'd likely use two walls and space them apart (to form the port/gap). That takes care of the high and low shots. If I wanted to control the left/right, and still have the shooter take the shots from back away from the port, I might use a couple sets of double stacked barrels placed back towards the shooter. That gives them a shooting lane. If you want to give the option to run up, you could stagger the distance of the barrels a bit...to make it easy to run around/through them.

What really bites here is if you want to use the turtle targets. They suck at guarding walls, ports and such (not much of an edge to them). You can't mix target types in a stage.

yea...I try to keep all my no-shoots for future matches too. Thanks Flex.

I was thinking of a way to penalize someone if they hit the wall while shooting at a target through a port, but back a ways from the port. Trying to save the walls. Hardcover wouldn't work because if they hit hardcover, then no problem, they'd just shoot another round at the target. But if they were penalized, they might slow down and think about it.

I have a quantity of large cardboard pieces from past appliance boxes and was wondering if I could use one of those painted white and a scoring perf around the cutout port. I mean if I stapled 4 targets around a port, what would be the difference if I used a large sheet of cardboard with port and perfs? Same results, same color, different layout.

I was thinking of a way to penalize someone if they hit the wall while shooting at a target through a port, but back a ways from the port. Trying to save the walls. Hardcover wouldn't work because if they hit hardcover, then no problem, they'd just shoot another round at the target. But if they were penalized, they might slow down and think about it.

Right. I do the same.

I have a quantity of large cardboard pieces from past appliance boxes and was wondering if I could use one of those painted white and a scoring perf around the cutout port. I mean if I stapled 4 targets around a port, what would be the difference if I used a large sheet of cardboard with port and perfs? Same results, same color, different layout.

Good logic. Just isn't a legal target.

Unless the targets you're placing through the port are particularly high or low, you could probably get by just fine only tacking up left and right no-shoots. That alone should have the shooters who choose to engage from afar paying more attention to their front sight. I don't think you'd need top and bottom no-shoots.

We had a couple in the 2013 Alabama Section Match this year...on stage 10. Two ports were rounded out with no-shoots. So you can see where I'm coming from. I'm trying to round out a port without using actual targets, but I get the rule...no-shoots = targets.

I'm going to send a note to my area director to bring it up to the board. If we can get a large piece of cardboard and have a scoring, or non-scoring perf, around an opening, why not allow it. It would be the same if I rounded out a port with actual no-shoots targets.

I think Flex already answered the question. One thing to keep in mind is that objects placed downrange tend to get shot from time to time. White cardboard does not a no-shoot make. Some sort of real hardcover edging might help preserve your walls without adding in penalties for errant shots that nick the edge of the wall.

Props getting shot is more of a scoring issue than it is an issue of prop preservation, in my opinion.

Good idea Mark. Even is they only allowed that for Level I matches, that would help with clubs that need to make use of extra cardboard and save some money for other things.

I don't think we need any more level I exemptions in the rule book.

Just my 2 cents.

Good idea Mark. Even is they only allowed that for Level I matches, that would help with clubs that need to make use of extra cardboard and save some money for other things.

I don't think we need any more level I exemptions in the rule book.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd agree. We routinely save no-shoots from previous matches that haven't been hit or have been hit very little and reuse them as no-shoots at the next match. That practice will save you a lot more than finding big sheets of white cardboard and adding perfs.

Edited by JAFO

I've always considered walls, ports, doors, and props in general to be consumables.....

Some of them -- paper targets, target sticks -- wear out faster than others -- walls, doors, ports....

Even steel targets need to be replaced eventually....

Could you add a 45 degree target? Then the shooter has to go to the port.

As for odd ball sized no shoots I can see this leading to some unintended consequences. Folks building crazy size shaped stuff. Also it would take 5 pages of rules to specify how the border is to be made. Just seems to not be worth the effort when all that needs done is a design tweak to the stage.

Edited by OUshooter