Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meshy trigger

Hi guys

I own a cz 75 spo1 shadow, I am thinking of buy a tanfoglio stock 3.

I shot the stock 3 last week and felt that the trigger action was nowhere near as smooth as the cz. I shot another stock 3 and the action was the same. My question is can or does the action get better or do you have to have work done to it to smooth it out?

Cheers

I'll respond in a helpful manner:

For me the CZ triggers seem lighter and smoother, but much more vague or mushy out of the box. The Tanfoglio triggers are much rougher and stuffer, but seem to break crisper out of the box. With some smoothing/polishing the Tanfoglio triggers can be made light, smooth, and crisp. I have 2 polymer guns that started off just stiff (not rough). I did a little plunger polishing, changed a couple springs and now have what I think is a really nice DA. My buddy recently bought a Stock 2 and a Limited Pro and both of those had the worst Tanfoglio triggers I have ever felt out of the box. It felt like they had lubed them with gravel at the factory. So its a roll of the dice on what you get from the factory, but you can easily smooth them up and lighten the trigger pull. Usually you just need to polish the plunger and change some springs, but you may need to polish a couple other things.

I only have one Tanfoglio/EAA pistol, a Witness Elite Match (Single Action Only) and no CZs, so maybe I shouldn't be even be answering this, but my trigger requires little pre-travel (trigger movement before firing), is very crisp and has a very small amount of over-travel (trigger movement after firing). I have not polished the plunger or swapped out lighter springs yet.

I plan to have the Hennings flat trigger installed to reduce the side to side movement at the bottom of the trigger to reduce the chance of an A.D. from accidental contact with the holster when reholstering. I hope that after I polish the plunger and the gunsmith installs the flat trigger system and adjusts the pre-travel and over-travel that the trigger will be even better.

PS: I'm not even the top guy at my local matches, so maybe my trigger is a bit heavy, I don't know, but it is very crisp. The only double action pistol I have is a Beretta 96D, which is I believe is light for a double action pistol (8.5 pounds) but the amount of trigger movement before it fires is absurd (its like a revolver that way).

Tanfos are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get, trigger wise I mean as what Nealio have stated above. I purchased a stock 2 awhile back and the trigger was horrible. I then polished all the trigger contacts to a mirror which helped a bit. I then sent it to a smith for a trigger job which he did a tremendous job. Though it was still not to my liking. From then on I replaced more softer springs (hammer and plunger springs) and I also added a roller plunger and rebuffed more contacts. Originally the trigger was around 12#DA and 6-7#SA, and by the time all of the things above was done, trigger came down to a soft and crisp 5#DA/2.5#SA, which it was perfect. For me, Tanfos, by far, the easiest guns to do trigger jobs on compare to a 1911/2011. If you are mechanically inclined you can easily do all these stuff to have a smoother and crisper trigger.

The CZ will always have a better DA than a Tanfo because the hammer spring on the CZ is longer and does not stack up for release like the hammer spring on the tanfo which is just about 1 inch long ( i use a cut up 14#) but SA is a different story ... the SA on my Stock 2 and stock 3 feels better than my worked on Shadow.

Is there any prospect of a "short reset trigger" type of modification on the Tanfoglios? (CZ Custom does a modification where they get rid of almost all of the pre-travel in SA mode.)

• 1 month later...

I have two Springfield Standard P9"s and the trigger internals are both different and they both shoot very different. I also have an EAA in SA only conpletly worked over and it is amazing now, but for this ill stick to the Springfields. One is chambered in 9mm and the other in .40. Im comparing the SA only on there two guns as the DA is the same they have a heavy pull but seem fine. I know these arnet CZ's or Tanfoglio's, however they are Tanfoglio made CZ75 clone so the info might be just as relevent and useful.

The difference is in the SA and boy is it different. So the .40 which I think is the nicer SA of the two has very little pre travel and when the hammer is cocked the trigger pulls back about an inch to it firing possision. The 9mm SA to me is horrible in comparison, when you cock the hammer the trigger doesn't pull back at all making the pre travel the full inch roughly from the DA possision. Also when fired from SS the 9mm hammer seems to skip over the sear just slightly before the trigget is released making for a small gritty feel right before the hammer drops.

So im not sure if this is a problem or not because of the differences in the internals. With the slide off both seem to function properly and they both shoot great. It very obvious that the way they are designed the trigger bars connect to the triggers in different ways, this makes for a completly different geometry and trigger pull.

I have heard that the trigger design was changed at one point but I cant confirm this.

Cheers,

Evan

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the CZC SRT disconnector can be fit to a Tanfoglio, I have both and the only difference I can see is the size of the hinge hole 2.25mm on the CZ vs 2.75mm on the Tanfo). I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I'll be sure to post my success everywhere when I do (no one will ever hear about my failure...).

• 1 month later...

I believe the CZC SRT disconnector can be fit to a Tanfoglio, I have both and the only difference I can see is the size of the hinge hole 2.25mm on the CZ vs 2.75mm on the Tanfo). I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I'll be sure to post my success everywhere when I do (no one will ever hear about my failure...).

Any luck on this?