Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting in the rain...

rpcruab

I didn't know what section to post this topic in, so I stuck it in IDPA since this is refering to an IDPA sanctioned match this weekend. I will be competing this Sunday, and from the looks of it, the Friday and Saturday shooters will be shooting in the sun...the Sunday shooters will be soaked. I have yet to shoot a match in this type of weather, and I am looking for advice from forum members on how to handle the situation. I would certainly switch to Saturday if I could, but this is not an option. Anyone here have any experience shooting a major match in the rain?

Thanks!

:cheers:

I worked a match last weekend and shot in the freezing rain on friday then watched everyone shoot in perfect weather on Saturday. The only thing I can say is that there was no pressure because I just wanted to be dry and warm. I shot like I didn't care because I didn't.

Get a $20 rain suit from Wal Mart. Wear waterproof boots, and a good warm coat under the rain coat. Stay dry. Dry = warm, and warm = fun & fast.

Good advice.

Also carry a LARGE heavy duty trash bag for your range bag. Put your range bag in the rash bag with the trash bag on its side. The big bag will allow you to reach in an get ammo, mags, whatever while keeping you range bag and gera dry. Also, if you have one or can get one carry a large golf or small beach umbrella. Even with a rain suit keeping rain off your face and hands between shooting will help you stay dry and warm overall.

EDIT: spelling / typos

Edited by Rob Tompkins

Harden up! :P

Just embrace the suck and deal with it. I have had some very enjoyable matches and practice sessions in some horrific weather conditions. On the bright side, it is IDPA, so you won't be dropping mags in the mud.

don't bring anything you don't need. Leave the range bag in the car. Bring your ammo, everything else you need is on your belt. It will be easier to stay organized in the rain if you don't bring a lot of extra stuff. If you drop a mag in the mud, just walk to the car and get another.

Thank you for the advice folks! I'm not as concerned with the mental/physical aspect of the situation, as I am with the issue of keeping my equipment/ammo dry and good to go. Thanks again for all the pointers folks!

get a 5 gal bucket or a cooler with a good lid on it and put your crap in there..i would get a set of Frog togs instead of a clamy motherinlaw feeling plastic jacket,or good gortex..i was unprepaered at the Idaho state in 2008,and it was a frog choker for the 1st 3 or 4 stages,but the wind dryed us out by the afternoon..Gortex has saved my butt at serveral other matches..beach umbrella's are real good if you can get the SO to hold it while you shoot... :cheers:

IMO, nothing special required besides perhaps a decent rain resistant jacket & hat; maybe a ziplock bag for your ammo if it is not contained inside a water resistance bag or pouch. Can't imagine anything else carried at a match being damaged by a little water. Don't fight it, just go with the flow.

In addition to everything mentioned (rain suit that fits over ear protection, warm clothing, bag protection, shower cap for the gun) a towel and a place to keep it relatively dry. At some point you are going to want to dry something off.

BC