Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open revolver setups

cjd1215

I am thinking about setting up a revolver for open. Does anyone currently use a open revolver. I would be interested in what is being used for the entire setup. Gun, holster, moon clip holders etc.

I wasn't thinking about ICOR. But I guess that could be an option. I was thinking more USPSA. I know one would not be competitive. More of a fun thing to do. I guess I should look into ICOR. Another organization to belong to.

I've got a friend that has a S&W 686+ with, (I believe), a Tasco red dot on it. He has an older Safariland 002 holster. He uses speed-loaders. He only uses the gun for steel and bowling pin matches through. I think his power factor is a miniscule 90. The bullets are so slow you can follow them all the way from the muzzle to the target!

I setup my 586 as an Open revo last fall.

Apex trigger, chamfer, ported barrel, CMore, etc...

Unfortunately, I didn't and haven't gotten around to getting any ammo and I'n now waiting for things to shake out before I start making calls to shag down some crush primed .38 Special.

I, too, was going to use it only for steel so I'm running Safariland III speedloaders and a DAA insert for my DAA RM holster.

I have several guns set up for ICORE Open. The guns are S&W 627 8 shot 38 Supers. Action work was done by Mike Carmoney including bobbinbg the hammers and champering the chambers. The double action pull is just under 5 lbs. As long as I use deep seated Federal primers they are 100% reliable. They have C-Mores on Allchin mounts. I use a North Mountain Moonclip Holder with 4 posts (holds 8 moonlips). The North Mountain can also be used with my USPSA 625 45 ACP revolver. My open holster is a Safariland 002 on a CR Speed belt. For USPSA I substitute a Blade Tech custom holster. Hope this helps. Forgot this : Nills Bianchi Model grip that covers the backstrap ( I have large hands) and factory single port comp that has been opened up slightly. Hogue extended mag release.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I've run a 627-4 (8 shot 38 super) with the single port comp attachment and a leupold deltapoint in USPSA. Feeding it 124gr Bayous over 7.1gr of Longshot and a Fed SPM. It's got some pop to it and is pretty fun even though you finish DAL (excluding potential dqs). I would like to get a new barrel with a better comp/porting, but no funds for such a project.

Forgot to mention, the cylinder and forcing cone get HOT, like blister fingers HOT, during 30+ round COF. But you can think of it as motivation to make your reloads Jerry Miculek fast.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit