Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Expert Opinions Needed

bluejdixon

Im at a crossroads.

I have spent months researching the Tactical Sports, as my latest project for IPSC. Having always been a fan of CZ firearms, owning a Shadow in the past, I have always viewed them as quality under dogs.

Being a 1911 guy, I have always found that the trigger is my most hated issue with most firearms. Ive since purged every glock I have ever owned, both my Jericho 941 and my Shadow (although, not the shadows fault, just not a DA kind of guy) in the search for the firearm to fit me perfectly.

Convinced that the Tactical Sports was worth the money for what I was looking for, regarding the trigger, bomar style sight cut, appealing heft and beauty; I am now having second thoughts.

That second thought being a CZ75B in .40.

Before you jump to conclusions, you must realize that in bone stock form, Im sure we can all agree that the TS is leagues ahead with pure race predigree, but here is the rub.

Properly done, I feel the 75B could be a very potent competition firearm with the right investments. However, not being a CZ afficiando, I am not up to speed with a few things about the CZ trigger system.

Assuming I could spend what I paid for the pistol in parts, ie Single action conversion, competition hammer, properly suited spings, with some careful love applied to the sear and hammer engagements, is a 2 pound trigger a pipe dream?

What I think I need is a list of pros and cons, if anyone would be so kind to enlighten me as to the benefits of both systems. Keeping in mind of course, that I have preconceived notions of firing pin blocks and decent triggers.

Looking forward to hearing from some of the experts.

Thank you in advance!

The main advantage of the TS over the 75B is the capacity: 21 vs ~15 in a 141mm mag, next is the trigger bar/return spring which has more potential than the standard bar, but if you want a sweet 2# trigger, that is very doable with the 75B. I had one I shot while my TS was at Canyon Creek having the slide lightened; the short dust cover and beaver tail made it much less comfortable to shoot.

Capacity is a moot point for me, unfortunately. 10 rounds max per magazine is my life north of the border.

It appears the TS is the obvious choice for anything trigger related. Ive never had any comparison between the trigger bars, so this is new to me.

Great replies.

trigger wise between the two they can be done the same. in terms of handling i would run with the larger, heavier TS. it can be lightened and the grip reduced if you need to, just takes a couple dollars. i preferred the smaller, lighter gun. but down here nobody shoots L10, so... back to production i went.

A 75b is not at all an uncomfortable gun to shoot major with, unless you're a pansy. Is it the best choice for L10? probably not. I got one to shoot in production because It's what I carry much of the time, and because I get 40 brass for free so reloading is easier for me. I plan to shoot L10 with it after area 1 and go back to major loads. I prefer a 3 lb trigger over anything lighter, so that's how mine is set up.

If I really wanted to shoot L10, I would probably get a TS, or just get more 10 rd mags for my 1911. I'm actually planning on shooting a match or two in L10 with each gun and deciding what works best for me.

Thank you for the insightful posts, guys. Much appreciated.

Given a larger budget, building a TS up makes more sense than completely retrofitting a 75B.

The bomar style cut is a huge pro for me as well.

FWIW, I shot a bunch of 200 grain loads that I had originally put together for a S&W 610 in my 75B .40 and they were pretty mild compared to loads with lighter bullets.

And John, you need to man up ya pansy

Own and shoot a SP01 in Production. When purchased it came with fixed competition sight and comp hammer. SA trigger was low 2's with the FPB removed. Due to changes in the USPSA Production rules, I had to reinstall the FPB. Could feel the difference while dry firing. Never noticed it during matches. Trigger pull may have gone up 1-2 oz. Polishing and removing 1-2 coils of the FPB spring removed the additional 1-2 oz. pull. Last year I purchased new main springs from Cajun Gun Works main springs. Dropped the DA pull from 7+ lbs. to 4+ lbs. SA dropped 1-2 oz. and stayed in low 2 range. A single action only CZ can be much lower, as could my DA/SA SP01 for the SA trigger pull. In my opinion there is little to difference in the a 1911 and SA CZ pull and break. The CZ overtravel will be more but there are way to fix that. The return will be longer but that too can be worked and made better. For me, trying to fix those to things are not worth the cost.

Understandable for sure. I think the TS is hard to beat for me, albeit some changes will need to be made.

Anyone have any links in regards to action jobs? I've got a couple armourer videos, but always nice to have a second resource with potentially better angles of interest.