Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Recommendations for Open Gun

rwmagnus

RW,

I am doing the same thing now.

On my 627 non-comp I am adding a Tasco Pro Point 5 that I bought from a guy on the S&W forum ($50).

My wife's 627 V Comp will sport a red C-More from Shooters Connection. Chuck Bradley has the best price I could find for the C-More Railway ($199).

I hate to spend the money on the C-More but they seem to work on the open guns. The dark side shooters can't be all wrong. ;)

Good luck,

Dave

I hear ya on the C-More situation. Not having ANY expierence with Open Guns or optics I'm most likely going to follow the crowd on this one. I've done business with Shooters Connection before and that is a good price.

Is the Bushnell HoloSight Red Dot Sight too large a unit for a revolver? Just wondering if anyone has had expierence with it.

edit:

Airedale what MOA on the C-More did you order?

I was watching the 2003? IRC on American Shooter the other night and I got the bug to throw glass on top of my 610. Jerry and Tony use EoTech/Holosights, Vic Pickett was using an ADCO.

I was thinking of either a EoTech or a 7min Aimpoint. But I'd love to hear some recommendations.

I was watching the 2003? IRC on American Shooter the other night and I got the bug to throw glass on top of my 610. Jerry and Tony use EoTech/Holosights, Vic Pickett was using an ADCO.

I was thinking of either a EoTech or a 7min Aimpoint. But I'd love to hear some recommendations.

What was Jerry shooting in that competition?

Is the EoTech/Holosights the same as the Bushnell HoloSight? They look pretty similar!

RW,

I ordered the 8 MOA. I called my Revolver mentor (Jawor) and he said 8 MOA is perfect for the application. (8MOA adds no upcharge :D )

I should have the gun together and running this week and be able to run it at pasture steel.

Report to follow.

Dave

On my 627 steel gun i put on the Omni sight. I got it from Nowlin. It was a little pricey but I love it. You can adjust the dot size ( 4 Choices, really small to big) And it has 11 different brightness adjustments. The size of the optics is bigger than a c-more. I beleive the omni has a 33mm optic.

The thing I found with the Dots on my Revos is that if you are willing to take the time to learn your index with the Cmore type dots they are great, but if you dont a tube type scope would be better. I bought Cmores and had to make myself "find" the dot . Once I did I never looked back, but the tubes are easier to "find" for some people. Good luck, DougC

the eotech sight is the military version of the holosight. eotech makes both of the sights. however, the military version is put through tighter tolerences than the commercial model for bushnell.

if money isn't an option then i would go with the eotech, it is a true hologram with zero paralax (spell?)

I just put an EOTech on my car gun (a super light AR) and I wish I had done it much sooner and not wasted time and money with lesser products. Obviously using it on a long gun is different than a handgun, but I can say it's a really nice piece of equipment. It's simple to use, very easy to zero, and seems to be very rugged. I would go with the N-cell version to save weight over the AA version on a handgun, though.

the eotech sight is the military version of the holosight. eotech makes both of the sights. however, the military version is put through tighter tolerences than the commercial model for bushnell.

if money isn't an option then i would go with the eotech, it is a true hologram with zero paralax (spell?)

LOL when is money never a problem??? I've got Cabellas points for what is effectively a free Bushnell Holosight. Now mind you those points could always be used for something else. Just wondering how much difference there is between the two? Also keep in mind it's not going to war just on an Open Gun to have fun with.

I just put an EOTech on my car gun (a super light AR) and I wish I had done it much sooner and not wasted time and money with lesser products.  Obviously using it on a long gun is different than a handgun, but I can say it's a really nice piece of equipment.  It's simple to use, very easy to zero, and seems to be very rugged.  I would go with the N-cell version to save weight over the AA version on a handgun, though.

That's a good point about the batteries but only if the overall unit is smaller. I shot the AA version on an AR15 during a demo and really liked the sight. Only wish I had played with the sight alittle more. Guess I was having flashbacks getting the opportunity to shoot an AR15 again, too much fun! Too bad our CA legislators don't have enough real work to keep them busy. Anyway I'm leaning towards this setup for the revolver.

rwmagnus,

the mounting system on the two sight are totally different. the bushnell will require you to attach a picatinny rail of some kind causing it to be 1/4 to 3/4 in above the slide.

doug jones has a unique mounting system for the eotech, which has side rails with some meat to attach a mounting system to the side of the eotech. doug's mounting system will place the sight extremly close to the frame.

rwmagnus,

the mounting system on the two sight are totally different. the bushnell will require you to attach a picatinny rail of some kind causing it to be 1/4 to 3/4 in above the slide.

doug jones has a unique mounting system for the eotech, which has side rails with some meat to attach a mounting system to the side of the eotech. doug's mounting system will place the sight extremly close to the frame.

Another bump for info on the Doug jones mount.

I will have to use a rail or weaver base as my application for a red dot will be on a revolver. Research indicates the EOTech is a higher quality unit than it's sibling the Bushnell Holosight.

Still open to suggestions as I haven't made a decission yet.

Here's another scope option that has worked well for me in both ICORE and NRA Action Pistol shooting. Leupold/Gilmore 4 MOA with 50 yd tombstone reticle. Also, I had my smith make a Weaver base from a blank that was minimum thickness and then we epoxy bedded it onto the gun.

Here's another scope option that has worked well for me in both ICORE and NRA Action Pistol shooting.  Leupold/Gilmore 4 MOA with 50 yd tombstone reticle.  Also, I had my smith make a Weaver base from a blank that was minimum thickness and then we epoxy bedded it onto the gun.

WOW that's interesting "expoxy bedding" the base to the gun. Why did you go this route (retention problems?)? That looks like a pretty good scope thanks for the info.

Guest Larry Cazes

Anybody tried the new Zeiss Z-Point red dot sight? It is advertised in the latest American Handgunner as having an 8MOA dot. It also runs off both batteries and a built in solar cell. Looks very compact, only slightly larger than a Docter/Jpoint.

I have the C More railway mounted on the wife's 627. It took me about 5 minutes to zero (once I read the directions). Aquisition is rocket fast. I understand why it's so popular with the dark side. :o

I put a Simmons red dot on my 627 V Comp. It's certainly adequate for the task. I will likely add a C More when I save up my allowance.

I suspect I would be totally pleased with the Simmons if I weren't doing side by side zeroing with the C More equipped gun. There is nothing wrong with the Simmons-the C More is (IMO) a better rig.

We will run them Saturday at Aikidale's steel match.

Have fun,

Dave

Airedale thanks for the info. My plans are to try the Bushnell HOLOsight. You've really got me thinking C-More also. The Bushnell is basically free using Cabella points so that's a lay up. Two bills for the C-Moore is reasonable if that's the hot ticket, certainly doable. If I was spending cash for the HOLOsight I'd go Eotech no question but I think the commercial unit will work fine. I was also going to expierment with a tube sight Simmons or Tasco but I'm going to hold off on it leaning towards the C-More.

Having never used a C-More is there anything special I should know about mounting or zeroing it?