Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS 40 Barrel

ohsevenflhx

I've only ever heard of barrel issues with the original model, the IPSC standard.

Anything late model has been beefed up in problem areas, albeit the slide stop is still the weak spot in .40. However, one must keep in mind loads and spring selection play a huge part of premature slide stop failure.

I would suggest, IMO, always have a slide stop backup, don't worry yourself about the barrel, and shoot the snot out of it.

• 11 months later...

Moon, were you using a buffer? aftermarket recoil spring? Stainless steel guiderod? What I'm wondering is: in the most rearward position of the slide was it contacting the frame or was the spring going solid?

Edited by kneelingatlas

Moon, were you using a buffer? aftermarket recoil spring? Stainless steel guiderod? What I'm wondering is: in the most rearward position of the slide was it contacting the frame or was the spring going solid?

I was using a lighter recoil spring - 11 lbs, Wolff. I was also using a 13lb main spring. Pf was about 168. What do you mean by spring going solid? I was using a buffer. Can you share your insight?

My czechmate barrel broke after 5k rounds yesterday... Wonder if cz will cover under warranty....

man! you are not having much CZ luck lately. :( hopefully it gets sorted more easily than the shadow problem you had. :)

I guess this is cz second chance... Good thing these come with two barrels from factory, or I would have been out of luck for area six next weekend... This czechmate got me 1st C at TN and 3rd B at Alabama... Love czs... But like you said, I've had some bad luck... My p07 runs like a champ though (knock on wood)

Can you share your insight?

It's nothing I know for sure, just a theory I'm trying to test.

So when the action cycles the slide travels rearward and at some point stops, then travels forward again; we all know the recoil spring (as well as the hammer spring and friction in the rest of the action) slows the slide down as it goes back and it also accelerates it on it's way forward, but what causes it to stop?

I can imagine three possible scenarios:

1. The energy on the slide is completely exhausted before fully compressing the spring.

2. The slide compresses the spring until the coils touch (going solid)

3. The slide stops against the frame

The first is certainly possible with a heavy enough recoil spring, but I don't think the pistol would cycle correctly if this was the case. From what I've read there seems to be mixed opinions whether #2 or #3 is the 'proper' way for a pistol to function.

When using a buffer the whole idea is that the buffer absorbs the peak energy at the limit of slide tavel so it seems to me for the buffer to actually do anything the spring must go solid, this was the case with my factory TS buffer. It also makes sense to me that the recoil spring would wear out quickly in this situation. Once the spring is worn, the maximum slide energy as the spring goes solid should increase, were you wearing out buffers before the lug cracked?

The spring going solid would also put a lot of pressure on the slide stop which would fit with the CZs' reputation for breaking slide stops.

A test to see if #2 or #3 is the case: pull the side all the way to the rear and mark the slide and frame with pencil match lies, the repeat with the recoil spring removed and compare. It the marks line up the second time, the slide is stopping on the frame, if the slide goes back further the spring is going solid.

My guess is that the spring was going solid with your setup, but I would love to know.

Can you share your insight?

It's nothing I know for sure, just a theory I'm trying to test.

So when the action cycles the slide travels rearward and at some point stops, then travels forward again; we all know the recoil spring (as well as the hammer spring and friction in the rest of the action) slows the slide down as it goes back and it also accelerates it on it's way forward, but what causes it to stop?

I can imagine three possible scenarios:

1. The energy on the slide is completely exhausted before fully compressing the spring.

2. The slide compresses the spring until the coils touch (going solid)

3. The slide stops against the frame

The first is certainly possible with a heavy enough recoil spring, but I don't think the pistol would cycle correctly if this was the case. From what I've read there seems to be mixed opinions whether #2 or #3 is the 'proper' way for a pistol to function.

When using a buffer the whole idea is that the buffer absorbs the peak energy at the limit of slide tavel so it seems to me for the buffer to actually do anything the spring must go solid, this was the case with my factory TS buffer. It also makes sense to me that the recoil spring would wear out quickly in this situation. Once the spring is worn, the maximum slide energy as the spring goes solid should increase, were you wearing out buffers before the lug cracked?

The spring going solid would also put a lot of pressure on the slide stop which would fit with the CZs' reputation for breaking slide stops.

A test to see if #2 or #3 is the case: pull the side all the way to the rear and mark the slide and frame with pencil match lies, the repeat with the recoil spring removed and compare. It the marks line up the second time, the slide is stopping on the frame, if the slide goes back further the spring is going solid.

My guess is that the spring was going solid with your setup, but I would love to know.

Thanks. What I did was fit in a spring so it would not go solid. With the spring and guide rod assembled, it inky required 1 coil to be cut for that assembly to compress fully without the spring becoming the limit of the slide hitting the frame. Having said that, before I even cut coils, I wanted to see what was causing the slide to stop moving back in recoil... That way I would understand if the buffer was doing work. I used some chalk on the slide and frame where they are supposed to touch at recoil. From factory, the slide hits the area in the frame just forward if the trigger return spring housing.it,s not the spring going solid that stops this rearward motion. Then I installed the buffer and chalked again. The buffer does in fact reduce the cycle and does reduce the frame/slide impact. When the lug broke, the buffer was still in good shape (had about 1k rounds).

What I don't understand is of the frame is what stops the slide, why would the slide stop be under stress, and also the barrel lower lug... For there to be stress there, the frame should not stop the slide... Puzzled.

My czechmate barrel broke after 5k rounds yesterday... Wonder if cz will cover under warranty....

man! you are not having much CZ luck lately. :( hopefully it gets sorted more easily than the shadow problem you had. :)

I guess this is cz second chance... Good thing these come with two barrels from factory, or I would have been out of luck for area six next weekend... This czechmate got me 1st C at TN and 3rd B at Alabama... Love czs... But like you said, I've had some bad luck... My p07 runs like a champ though (knock on wood)

it's probably worth sending a PM to eerw with what happened. He did offer his help and being at CZ he is in a position to do something for you if it's possible.

it's probably worth sending a PM to eerw with what happened. He did offer his help and being at CZ he is in a position to do something for you if it's possible.

Cz told me send in the barrel and they would get a new out to me. Different experience this time!