Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mike Seeklander's Competition 1 class-

LoLeft

Let me start by saying I am a middle of the road C shooter in Production and SS in ESP. I started shooting IDPA 11 months ago and was bitten by the competition bug immediately. I have only missed 2 matches (shooting one every weekend) and if there was a 5th weekend on the month then I was practicing at the range. In October of 2012 I shot my first USPSA match and everything changed! This is where I would spend the rest of my weekends! Now, having said all of this Mike's class was commissioned by our local IDPA club and I jumped at the chance to get some more professional instruction.

I really didn't know what to expect. Mike has some self defense shows on TV so I may have had some preconceived notions as what to expect even though it was a "Competition" class. Mike's class WAAAAY exceeded my expectations. There are a lot of great shooters out there that teach classes. What impressed me the most is that Mike is a great instructor that is also a great shooter! His class covers the obvious basics in competition, grip, stance, etc. He also covered the mental aspect of the game which I thought was great. He covers foot work, transitions, practice drills that make you think. Stage breakdown, stage markers and visualization. The class was IDPA heavy with students and there were a few of us that were more focused on USPSA. MIke did a GREAT job of covering both games.

Mike then shot an IDPA match with us the day following the 2 day class. Of course, he won the overall. Mike helped elevate my game and more importantly gave us some good solid instruction that we can use from here on out. There were 106 shooters that day and this average(yet dedicated ;-) shooter took 5th overall! This last weekend at the local USPSA match, I chunked the first 2 stages(3 mikes) and had a double feed on the next stage that cost me 15 seconds. I put to use some of the mental stuff Mike was talking about and did extremely well on the last 3 stages ( again, keeping in mind I'm a C shooter)

My goal is to make B and Expert by the end of the year. The point of this post is not to "mark out" to Mike Seeklander. It is just an honest opinion of my experience. I really enjoyed the class and I have seen visible improvements in my shooting, which was the whole point of the class. My opinion of Mike is he a great instructor with shooting credentials to back it up, and at the end of the day, he is a hell of a nice guy too! He's the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his back.....uhh, which he did, but that's another story....

I had a chance to meet Mike on the way to L10 Nationals in MT. What a great experience that turned out to be... I ended up talking to Mike about a stage, that opened a flood gate of information.

Try Mike's books and DVDs. They keep his training fresh.

Glad to hear your story. Mike is a great teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to get hooked up with Mike when I decided to take up USPSA 15 months ago and have brought him out to our club twice to teach his classes and he'll be returning again this Dec. he is truely a great instructor as well as a great shooter and when the class is connected to a match so all students get coaching during a match as well it's really great experience. I would encourage anyone who is thinking about getting some professional instruction to get with Mike, you won't regret it ...

Makes me even more disappointed that the class out here in the PNW I signed up for got moved.....to a weekend I have to work, and can't change. I was looking forward to the class, it sounds like it would have been good. Maybe next year.

Mike is among the best instructors/trainers I have had a chance to shoot and train with. I learn something from him every year at matches or training. He is also one heck of a sportsman. He won a match I was at and gave his spot at the prize table to the top junior shooter......that young man will remember what Mike did for a long time, awesome!!

• 2 weeks later...