Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Question

SHARPPOINT

I know that this is not the place... BUT I learn alot from all of you. I just bought a ultrasonic cleaner and would like to know if any of you use one to clean gun parts? If so, what is the solution you use?

Thanks and if this needs to be moved, please do so.

Don't use the solution made for cleaning brass as that will strip away your bluing. I know that Hornady makes an ultrasonic solution for gun parts, but do your research on what finishes are acceptable to clean.

I use the Hornady Sonic cleaner to clean all of my guns - blued and stainless. No issues and it saves me time. I run them for 20 mins with the heat and after rinsing and blowing dry, a quick brush on the high carbon areas then blow the dust off, lube a reassemble.

While one's cleaning, the next is taken apart.

Small yogurt containers with 1/8" holes drilled in it is used for small parts.

I've used the Hornady solution and the Lyman solution, and prefer the Lyman. YMMV.

Don't use the solution made for cleaning brass as that will strip away your bluing. I know that Hornady makes an ultrasonic solution for gun parts, but do your research on what finishes are acceptable to clean.

The solution I used was warm soapy water, the cleaner removed a Dulite finish from the Thompson part. Edited by retarmyaviator

Thanks for all the replys. I called Dawson, I ask about cleaning my hard chrome Eagle and the tech told me to use Dawn and HOT water only. He was not a fan of the solutions and he told me to use a US cleaner only when the gun gets very dirty, not every cleaning.?? Do any of you just field strip and put the complete gun in the US cleaner?

Thanks

Edited by SHARPPOINT

I would use distilled water instead of tap water when using Dawn. Also when doing a detailed cleaning, I completely disassemble the pistol, and throw the internals in an ultra sonic cleaner

I would use distilled water instead of tap water when using Dawn. Also when doing a detailed cleaning, I completely disassemble the pistol, and throw the internals in an ultra sonic cleaner

I don't see any point in making the gun cleaner than it will look after, say, 10 rounds. Guns are not Hubble telescopes, they are designed to run with some dirt in them.

Edited by Foxbat

Brass??

Hubble telescopes... No, but seen guns (dirty) fail in the heat of competition. I clean my 2011's and 1911's after every shoot. My thinking was every 2000 rds or so I would find a better way of giving them a real cleaning.

I clean before every match, but then go through several practice sessions without cleaning and usually without problems - that can be a few hundred rounds, depending upon the schedule.