Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI recoil spring guide rod replacement

jimbullet

Hi

New to the STI Edge, I noticed it has a recoil master on it. I have been reading a few things about them in this forum, some good and some bad.

Anyway, I want to replace it with a traditional full length guide rod so I can tinker with the recoil spring weight that suited by taste in felt recoil based on the loads I have.

Having owned single stack 1911's before, these were a simple drop in part.

My question is, can I simply buy any FLGR and just drop it in?

I noticed there are products now that have a bevel on the rear part of the FLGR located near the barrel link lug at the base of the barrel (hope I have described it well enough).

Should I be concerned whether the replacement FLGR has this bevel or not?

Can I get away without this bevel without damaging anything?

Cheers

Jim

I couldnt find any online photo of the Dawson's rear but is that bevelled at its rear or is it contoured as all other traditional FLGR ?

The Dawson tool less looks great but can I get away with say a traditional FLGR without any bevel on the rear head, and not cause damage

I'm interested in the answer as well... Total noob question, but does bull or bushing barrel make a difference?

Bull barrels will require a reverse plug, but the rest of the parts are the same.

You can use any FLGR. Reuse the reverse plug that came with the gun. If you get a FLGR without a take-down hole and use it in a bull barrel gun, you'll need to drill your own hole.

I'm interested in the answer as well... Total noob question, but does bull or bushing barrel make a difference?

My understanding is bull barrels are more accurate as you dont have an additional piece in between the slide and the barrel which is the bushing. In theory, the lock up is tight providing better accuracy.

You can use any FLGR. Reuse the reverse plug that came with the gun. If you get a FLGR without a take-down hole and use it in a bull barrel gun, you'll need to drill your own hole.

Thanks, so the dimensions inside are that of the traditional 1911, at least in the area where the barrel link is. I will make sure to drill a hole on the FLGR if the one I get doesnt have it.

Here is a pic of the back of the Dawson Tooless guide rod. That the bevel you were talking about?

Yup thats the one. So there is a bevel on it apparently.

So I wonder if the FLGR that I get does not have that, will it damage the pistol or otherwise?

I broke a guide rod in by edge awhile back, replace it with the dawson tool less. that picture threw up a red flag for me, there is about .020 difference in that notch, between old and new.

can it have that variation? or was my old one that worn? thanks Jackie

Recently replaced the guide rods in one of my Eagles and in one of my Trojans with Dawson Tool Less guide rods. Excellent product. Plan on doing the same with my Sentinel. All are bushing barrels. Haven't tried it on any of my bull barrel pistols.

Edited by GLI45

Hi

New to the STI Edge, I noticed it has a recoil master on it. I have been reading a few things about them in this forum, some good and some bad.

Anyway, I want to replace it with a traditional full length guide rod so I can tinker with the recoil spring weight that suited by taste in felt recoil based on the loads I have.

I noticed there are products now that have a bevel on the rear part of the FLGR located near the barrel link lug at the base of the barrel (hope I have described it well enough).

Cheers

Jim

For what its worth if you want the same feel as with the recoilmaster. Use an 11lb variable power Wolff recoil spring. The measured spring weight of the Heavy recoilmaster is 11lbs.

Hi

Cheers

Jim

For what its worth if you want the same feel as with the recoilmaster. Use an 11lb variable power Wolff recoil spring. The measured spring weight of the Heavy recoilmaster is 11lbs.

Thanks for that.

I am planning on getting both a 12lb and an 11 lb to see how they feel for me.

Cheers

Been reading a lot while awaiting the Edges to arrive for me and my wife. Not too many good things said about Recoil Masters.....Let me tell you this for anyone still wondering......My Edge....Smooth as glass slide rack with the brand new Recoil Master.....Wife's Edge...SAND PAPER slide rack with brand new Recoil Master....the serial numbers are literally 1 number apart ( last number ) and test fired same day......that shows the inconsistency that comes with them. Dawson Precision Tool Less FL Guide rod is next purchase with multiple spring lbs to test.