Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Competition Powder

deerassassin22

I've never used Competition, only full house loads with Silhouette. However, if you cross reference the data for Competition in 45ACP with Hodgon's Clays. They're almost identical as far as powder weight and velocities. I'd be very careful loading that in .40 until you get some concrete tested loads as that could end up being a very spikey and high pressure powder.

I've used Ramshot Comp in .40. Currently using 4.8gr of it with 180gr Rainier HP plated bullets at 1.180" COAL. It makes 175pf in my 5" KKM barreled STI custom build. For many years I've used VV N320 and have found that you can almost substitute straight across numbers for Vihta Vourhi 320 loads to Ramshot Competition. Of course, you should start low and work up but that's my experience. Currently using in both my .40 major loads as well as my wife's 9mm minor loads. Love the Ramshot!

Hope that helps,

Cheers623

DVC

For a lead bullet, TiteGroup is often about the worst choice. AA2, Solo 100, Am.Select, and AA5 are much better choices for accuracy, with AA5 being my top powder for accuracy in .40S&W, period.

For near max loads, I find Silhouette, HS6, and N340 to be excellent, with Silhouette getting the nod for accuracy.

Competition is right in with WST and 231/HP38. WSF should also be a good powder for major/max loads, but there is very little data for it.