Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 Accu Shadow vs Dan Wesson PM-9 1911

amlew

I had a PM-9 and currently have two Shadows (non-Accu models) They are both great guns. Both models had been worked on by very good gunsmiths and both ran well. Accuracy, SA trigger pull, and felt recoil was about the same on both. The only advantage I found was the magazines. I've found 9mm 1911 mags can be a little finicky. For recreational shooting I don't think you will go wrong with either.

I have 2 PM9's and 2 Shadows. You cant go wrong.

For general range recreational time, Id go with the 1911. If you want to shoot some uspsa, get the Shadow and run in Production.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Edited by DWFAN

You can 19rd mags with the shadow. More trigger time and less loading time. I have a Shadow for USPSA and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Would like to try the Accu-shadow this time though.

I'm about 1,750 rounds and two Steel Challenge matches into my SP-01 Accu Shadow. It's complete joy to shoot and stupid accurate. You know that any misses are your fault! The DA pull feels like a good revolver and the SA like a good 1911. I don't think you'ld be disappointed.

I've shot a couple of 1911s in 9mm and seen plenty at matches. They're good fun but finicky. I think that running 9mm in an action designed for 45 ACP FMJ is asking for trouble.

Edited by Andreas

Wanting to get a good quality 9mm for recreational target shooting. For those who might have experience with both or either of these, which do you enjoy shooting more or would recommend.

thanks

I have a regular SP01 Shadow Target (not the accu-shadow) and a DW PM9 and since you want it for recreational target shooting, I feel like I should comment. Be aware that many people will comment even though they have only shot one of these guns, and they may assume you want it for competition.

Out of the box, they are both great guns, I got my Shadow target from CZ custom and had the lighter springs put in it for a better trigger pull. The PM9 was factory and I did some tweaking....Added an ambi thumb safety and extended slide stop, and an ambi mag release....I am a lefty. I also had it throated since it was locking up on my plated bullets that I reloaded. They were getting jammed in the barrel and it would lock the gun up. If I run factory rounds, it was fine. $20 to have it throated from my gunsmith.

If you love 1911's then go with the PM9. It is one of the best out of the box 9mm 1911's out there. It comes with a fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear, perfect for target shooting. I use Dawson magazines in it. It comes with 9 round mags that work fine. I think they are check-mate magazines.

My shadow feels heavier and is a sweet shooter in single action mode. It feels great in my hand, the grip is great. I would buy this gun over the PM9 for TARGET SHOOTING. It is heavy, has good sights, has a good grip, and shoots great. I believe the accu-shadow had a rear adjustable sight which is a plus over the regular shadow target.

Randy

While I don't have either the accu-shadow or the Dan Wesson, I do have a Shadow Target and a Ed Brown. FWIW, the Shadow Target is stupid accurate. My EB is also extremely accurate as well.

Comes down to what you want to use it for. If it is mainly range/target shooting, I would go with the 9mm as you can get more trigger time for less money (if ammo supplies ever return).

I was originally looking for a 1911 in 9mm. A friend had a STI. Not bad, but the recoil impulse was something I just can't put into words except I didn't care for it. I ended up purchasing a CZ75b which put everything into perspective. It was half the price of a decent 1911 9mm, had a 16 round capacity, great ergos and was accurate to boot. One thing lead to another...

If you want single action only - get the single action CZ Shadow. The CZ's are a joy to shoot. My friend who shot my Shadow Target pretty much summed it up when he said "this thing shoots itself".