Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a 12 year old daughter that is really getting into competitive shooting and wants to try out 3-gun. The only thing we don't have is a way for her to carry shotgun shells that allows her to reload quickly. I have seen carriers made specifically for this purpose, but they seem to cost more than $60 a piece. Does anyone have suggestions as to alternatives in either style or brand that will make it more affordable. She will duct tape a zip-lock bag to her waist if need be, but I know those of you with experience have some ideas. Thanks

Trap and sheet shooters have a pouch that they carry ammo in. Seems to me one box (25 rounds) will fit in the pouch. Also get an arm band that holds rounds on the off wrist/arm.

FWIW

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

The California comp works are nice for 3 gun. I use the 6 shell holder and can grab two sets of three. A lot of the hardcore gunners use the fours because they can handle all four shells at once.

• 1 month later...

Redneck tech; no duct tape needed (amazing!)

Open up the pasteboard box holding your 25 rounds of birdshot. Place it on the table/bench/gearbag/etc so that as the (right-handed) shooter faces forward (12 o'clock), the box is to the left, the opened top flap pointing to the right, and the two side flaps pointing to front and back. Take out about 10-15 shotshells, and put them where you won't lose them.

Tear of those side flaps; you won't need them.

Fold the top flap down so that it is pointing at the ground. Pick up the box as a complete unit and insert that top flap into the shooters pants like you would a cheap Fobus paddle magazine pouch (inside both the pants and belt; or inside the the belt, but outside the pants).

Depending on how much movement or funny contortions the shooter needs to do on that stage, that's good to haul 15 shotshells from point A to point B (or to reload the extended tube twice). If you wanna haul more, I recommend duct tape reinforcement on the pasteboard. And you saved sixty bucks!

• 4 weeks later...

Have your daughter enter a major match or two with cardboard or whatever else, and then get her fully sponsored, so you both get lots of free gear. It's easy for junior shooters to get sponsored. It's easy for junior female shooters to get sponsored well. If she's half-way serious about it, neither one of you should have to pay for a single piece of gear.

I Shoot 3-Gun.

930 Moss holds 10 - FN SLP Mk1 holds 9.

You load and make ready at the start of the stage. Usually don't have to reload unless misses.

Or Slugs or 00 Buck on the end of the stage.

Everywhere you go is a lil different, RO & MDs want to throw in their lil designs from time to time. Also they wanna play around with manatory reloads with pistol and shotgun, be aware and learn quick re-loading.

Re-loading is probally the most difficult thing to learn and do well. Beginners and Pros lose time and problems loading the shotgun.

Check the Dillon Blue Press Magz they have quick load carriers.

I suggest you have the shotgun gunsmith fit to the 12 yr gurl child, and install a recoil reducer in the stock. Brusies and beat up sholder is not the way to start kids. Shotgun Stuff www.gamaliel.com

Find someone that shoots trap or skeet to start her, right stuff and start or you will be disappointed.

My Opinion

Perry